ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

OFFSHORE ANGLING => Jigging and Popping => Topic started by: nico on August 30, 2010, 03:08:14 PM

Title: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and small jigs
Post by: nico on August 30, 2010, 03:08:14 PM
Hi guys,
 
I recently joined the Jigstar Africa guys for a jigging and popping trip to Hell's Gate. Unfortunately the weather didn't play ball, and we didn't get as much sea time as we would have like. Still, some of the other guests got some ambers and GT's, the biggest GT I believe around 20kg and the two ambers in the 7/8kg range.
 
I raised quite a few fish on Bennie's poppers and stickbaits, but couldn't get them to stick. I don't think I will use singles again but rather move back to big trebles.
 
Anyway, while I didn't get anything massive, I had a lot of fun, especially with small jigs and even more so with dropshot, where I caught lots of species that I haven't bagged on dropshot before.
 
That's about it for my trip report, other than to say that the lodge was absolutely stunning, the service fantastic and the guides incredibly knowledgable! Some photos follow.
 
 
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and smaal jigs
Post by: nico on August 30, 2010, 03:11:03 PM
And a few more:
 
 
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and smaal jigs
Post by: Big Van Jnr on August 30, 2010, 03:17:36 PM
 fshg
Mooi visse!
Dit klink of jul trip great was.. Good Times..



 :tite
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and smaal jigs
Post by: benniejordaan on August 30, 2010, 03:28:28 PM
Very very nice! Good catches, Last couple of days been replacing all singles with big fat trebles!

Thanks Nico!
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and smaal jigs
Post by: TUNAMAN on August 30, 2010, 03:30:45 PM
Well done NICO cred to you pal. Lucky to fish so much but you deserve it man.
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and smaal jigs
Post by: Tsutsuma on August 30, 2010, 03:38:55 PM
My Humble credit to you Nico
You have done me a great favor in NRB and this posting is Heart Warming.
A great PITY the weather was so crap - that is what kept me in Maputo and not
make it to you in Santa Maria.
Would love to meet you and get tips on getting me self a Croc Couta
Carlos
}<(((*>
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and smaal jigs
Post by: fedu on August 30, 2010, 03:47:46 PM
You are not geting away this easy, how was it ?

Did you meet with the NZ Jigstar gang ?

Please go straight to the part they showed you their jigging tricks  w;k
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and smaal jigs
Post by: Tsutsuma on August 30, 2010, 03:51:53 PM
You are not geting away this easy, how was it ?

Did you meet with the NZ Jigstar gang ?

Please go straight to the part they showed you their jigging tricks  w;k
I agree fedu
Let hear it from Nico
Help us Nico - must be something you do different??
Carlos
}<(((*>
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and smaal jigs
Post by: Sailor on August 30, 2010, 04:07:47 PM
Nico I think those catches are awesome. Congrats.
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and smaal jigs
Post by: nico on August 30, 2010, 04:10:02 PM
LOL - no!
 
I didn't actually get to fish with the NZ guys, they only managed to get one and a half boat days, and I opted to fish those days with Earl as I got totally enamored with the dropshot thing.
 
I did obviously get to spend time with them in the evenings, and watch their style from the other boat. All I can say, it is like poetry, very smooth with very large actions. I just couldn't get it right, especially with the heavy jigging gear.
 
As far as the dropshot goes, the trick was really to work the jig as fast as you possibly can. I will show you in Maputo how I beat the water to a froth!
 
I used an Exceller 4500j with 20lb braid and it was a really nice, light outfit for the job, and never gave me any problems (I've owned two of these reels for a while and I really love them). This I paired with my 9ft Exceller heavy dropshot rod, which was brilliant, but really too long for a boat. I wish I hadn't broken my light Poseidon jigging stick some months ago as this would have been perfect, but the new style Poseidon is just not the same.
 
I'd like to hear some suggestions in a light jigging stick at around 6ft to 7ft with about a 6000 size reel to use for this application. Anyone use something like this?
 
./n
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and smaal jigs
Post by: nico on August 30, 2010, 04:13:03 PM
Nico I think those catches are awesome. Congrats.

Thanks Sailor!
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and smaal jigs
Post by: Capt. Hook on August 30, 2010, 05:30:35 PM
I'd like to hear some suggestions in a light jigging stick at around 6ft to 7ft with about a 6000 size reel to use for this application. Anyone use something like this?
 
./n

Nico, I have been using a Trevela 7ft ML for this for a long time paired with a Stella 5000 and 30lb braid, it has been an awesome light outfit for light jigging, drop shot, plugging etc. I loove it and reccomend the rod which you can pair with a variety of reels.
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and small jigs
Post by: John F on August 30, 2010, 05:49:48 PM
Not too bad for 1.5 days at sea! Good one nico!
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and small jigs
Post by: Cam Mundy on September 01, 2010, 09:38:34 PM
I think those are great results certainly better than mine when I was at hells gate.
BTW how much fun is it coming back threw the gate when the tides pushing!
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and small jigs
Post by: benniejordaan on September 01, 2010, 10:46:27 PM
I think those are great results certainly better than mine when I was at hells gate.
BTW how much fun is it coming back threw the gate when the tides pushing!

I think the cap he was wearing gave him some good luck! :rck"
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and small jigs
Post by: nico on September 02, 2010, 08:16:22 AM
I think those are great results certainly better than mine when I was at hells gate.
BTW how much fun is it coming back threw the gate when the tides pushing!

Ja, it is more than just interesting! This time was a pleasure, as (1) where where there at neaps and (2) I was on Earl Strydom's boat so didn't have to worry about it! My worst is going out on a dropping tide, as you have this 5 to 10 knot current pushing you into those weird standup waves, man I don't dig it at all!
 
We have always managed to get some good fish at Santa Maria, even in the middle of winter when the fishing is "slow". This was the first time I fished artificial (jigging, dropshot) at this location, I am new at this and usually fish conventionally.
 
If you are interested in more details (how to get there, the launch etc.) you can read my report of three trips back here:
 
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,485.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,485.0.html)
 
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and small jigs
Post by: Royboy on September 04, 2010, 12:57:38 AM
Hey Nico - good one Bro! Apologies for having been so quiet, but we have been, and are dealing with some post-trip issues. These will be dealt with soon..... currently in process!  More on this in the next few days for sure!!!!

Yup guys, the fishing was HARD. It's not possible to plan the weather. Not always a bad thing. Earning the school fees as they say. Under "iffy" conditions, a few quality fish were boated. I'm adding a few pics shortly - from the other boat....Mar Azul.

The Trip Report is still "Under Construction" Earl & Linda Strydom are THE BEST HOSTS!!!!!!, and between Earl and Bemji  (Bemuji) these guys move heaven and earth to put customers onto good fish. In crappy conditions they STILL managed to have HAPPY CUSTOMERS!!! With a few good fish..... 

As beautiful as the "Gate" is, it's the dedication and commitment of people like Earl and Bemuji who carve the experiences into our souls, who deal with issues when all is not right. (Theft issue alluded to above, and will end up being nasty!!!!!!)

Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and small jigs
Post by: Royboy on September 04, 2010, 01:51:53 AM
The lads were happy!
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and small jigs
Post by: Royboy on September 04, 2010, 02:17:43 AM
I will put a Trip Report out for all to read... in the next few days. A few DETAILS to be sorted 1st? I will update you.....

Sorry about the hijack.

Cheers RB
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and small jigs
Post by: Royboy on September 04, 2010, 02:25:18 AM
Ahhh.... and of course , I have to do this!!!!!!

The BIGGEST Green Jobfish I have EVER SEEN!!!!!!

Nico! You biscuit Bro! A "Ten-Million-Pointer"!!!!

I have never ever seen one this size..... and shewee...... tasted damned fine!!!!  :happ: :happ: :happ: :happ:
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and small jigs
Post by: REEFMAN on September 04, 2010, 08:33:50 AM
Great report Nico! Some awesome fish there bud, good stuff!
Another rod you can look at is the Daiwa MonsterMesh... light to medium jigging stick that punches well above it's division. Reasonably priced too.
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and small jigs
Post by: Tsutsuma on September 04, 2010, 10:22:39 AM
Great report Nico! Some awesome fish there bud, good stuff!
Another rod you can look at is the Daiwa MonsterMesh... light to medium jigging stick that punches well above it's division. Reasonably priced too.
I want a Monster Mesh please
}<(((*>
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and small jigs
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 04, 2010, 06:50:28 PM
Awesome fish  (clap)
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and small jigs
Post by: nico on September 04, 2010, 07:22:01 PM
After some good reports, and advice from a guy I know that fishes dropshot exclusively from the boat, I bought a Travella medium heavy. It feels very good, but still to be tested.
 
At the price, it will have to be pretty bad to not be a good buy.
 
Hoping to bend it propper with Carlos soon!
Title: Re: Hell's gate - some fish on dropshot and small jigs
Post by: Tsutsuma on September 04, 2010, 07:29:33 PM
After some good reports, and advice from a guy I know that fishes dropshot exclusively from the boat, I bought a Travella medium heavy. It feels very good, but still to be tested.
 
At the price, it will have to be pretty bad to not be a good buy.
 
Hoping to bend it propper with Carlos soon!
No problem at all Nico
Bring this your "Travella Medium Heavy" to my LION COUNTRY.
The Radio Active Spot will be the best test for this new rod =
I am 100% sure.
Carlos
}<(((*>
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal