ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
OFFSHORE ANGLING => Inshore Boating => Topic started by: Ziggy on September 05, 2013, 07:23:47 PM
-
I was fishing in Durban harbour today and a pod of about 20 dolphins swam past - I was between the yellow bouys kind of opposite Wilsons Wharf. Amazing to see!
However, very little fish on the bite - I anchored on the sandbank in the rising tide (the water was about one meter deep) and threw out some crackers for grunters - not a bite except this mullet that surprised me! It was 40,5 cm long - nose to tail tip. It gave me quite a rev on my light tackle......I wished it was a grunter though!
-
Ziggy all I can say is that's one of the biggest mullets I've seen......except for the west of Pretoria. w;k
-
Nice mullet, unusual on cracker, well done.
-
Seems like you had a nice day on the water Ziggy. Congrats on the Mullet.
When little we caught many of those in the harbour around PYC on floating bread crusts. Not any good eating so we released them all again.
PS: How is your deck drainage working now, better?
-
Seems like you had a nice day on the water Ziggy. Congrats on the Mullet.
When little we caught many of those in the harbour around PYC on floating bread crusts. Not any good eating so we released them all again.
PS: How is your deck drainage working now, better?
Ever since I installed the bilge pumpand sealed the hatches - I have not had an incident that would require me using it! Just waiting to try it out though...
-
That be a very strong fish, 40 cm of mullet is going to be remembered me thinks :cgrts:
-
Nice mullet, have tried to catch them on fly?
I heard that it could be fun
-
That be a very strong fish, 40 cm of mullet is going to be remembered me thinks :cgrts:
It was on my lightest rod and 6lb braid - drag was screaming
-
Should have pinned it for a Garrick w;k
-
Should have pinned it for a Garrick w;k
More like one of those dolphins!
-
Perfect slide bait in Mosselbay especially if you want to rid your reel of old line!! :hnthnt:
-
Nice one Ziggy - just goes to show fishing is unpredictable at best and full of surprises w;k
-
Nice Mullet Ziggy......that should be a nice livebait for some of the toothie critters there in the harbour :sreel:
-
Ziggy, i like to go to the end of the sand bank and anchor there. Almost opposite to where the Passenger liners Dock at N shed. If i remember the boays correctly it should be about E9 or E10 (red). I've had some huge revs there with live bait put out.
-
Ziggy, i like to go to the end of the sand bank and anchor there. Almost opposite to where the Passenger liners Dock at N shed. If i remember the boays correctly it should be about E9 or E10 (red). I've had some huge revs there with live bait put out.
I was just off the end of the sand bank, maybe about 50 m down - ballie Colin was about 30m away from us at the time - he was sending his cracker (looked like cracker from that distance - two hooks) with a condom? Why? We were parked right on top of the sandbank at high tide - it was about 1 m deep...we decided to copy Colin and see what gives
-
I launched at about 11.30 today and started fishing at the cardinal buoy on the tip of the centre island. I decided to only use two rods: Clarus 6'6" (with stradic 2500 and 6lb braid) and berkley 5'6" (with Daiwa BG15 and 8lb mono) - keeping things light and simple....or so I thought!
First the BAD stuff - I baited up and cast the Berkley and put it in the rod holder - then baited up the Clarus and cast...as the line was settling, the Berkley started nodding. I immediately closed the bail on my Clarus and put it down leaning against the gunwale (stupidly not in the rod holder - because I was eager to pick up the other rod). As i picked up the other rod - my clarus shot off the boat at great speed...all I saw was its wake as it speed through the water...like a little boat! Gone forever!!!! It all happened so fast...that bait had not even settled yet.
So, I was left with one rod to fish with...my tiny ultralight Berkely.
Now the GOOD stuff In the next two hours I landed 8 grunter between 1,5 and 2,8kg......and dropped 2 really big ones. I never thought it would be so taxing to land those grunter on that tiny rod!
I feel very sad about that rod - i have had it for almost 4 years....and have caught many blacktail, small shad, kingies from the surf, grunter in the bay and bream and chessa on the Zambez ......i feel a bout of tackle addiction coming on
-
Ziggy, one evening lost a rod like that fishing off they key-side on the Bluff. Reel was nicely tucked/hooked into behind the railway line and I was sitting out the rain and wind behind a bollard next I heard scraping sound and turned to see my rod hit the water about 20 meters from the harbour wall side.
Convinced me there are some monsters in the harbour. Sorry about your loss.
-
Ziggy, one evening lost a rod like that fishing off they key-side on the Bluff. Reel was nicely tucked/hooked into behind the railway line and I was sitting out the rain and wind behind a bollard next I heard scraping sound and turned to see my rod hit the water about 20 meters from the harbour wall side.
Convinced me there are some monsters in the harbour. Sorry about your loss.
I am still crying like a baby!
There are some real big monsters in the harbour - not too sure what they are. I think skates would be one. Today I also had some serious takes that took off the hooks leaving a jagged end...I assume that it might be pick handle barracuda (sea pike)...I am told that there are many around. Maybe I should be targeting them..not sure how though
-
Unlucky regarding the rod Ziggy, that really sucks... Nice fishing though must have been fun, any pics?
You can target the pike on dropshot with small minnows or small diving lures it might be worth it to give it a go!
-
Rule #1 expect the unexpected :hyst: I think most of us have done something similar before sorry about the loss of your gear
NOW where the pics ?? (bat
Us land locked buggers need pics duh
-
That sucks Ziggy... maybe now would be a good time to have those rod safety lines installed?!
-
Here is a pic of what I kept - I normally CAR - but I received some orders from friends for fresh fish - so yesterday I could oblige
-
Unlucky regarding the rod Ziggy, that really sucks... Nice fishing though must have been fun, any pics?
You can target the pike on dropshot with small minnows or small diving lures it might be worth it to give it a go!
I have been thinking about that - but the grunters are keeping me very busy!
-
That sucks Ziggy... maybe now would be a good time to have those rod safety lines installed?!
Agreed! You DIY advice here would be super.....thanks
-
Sorry for your lose ........ but great job on the grunters. I would love to catch one.
-
Some nice fish Ziggy :envy and welldone on the catch.
-
Ziggy, here's a DIY solution that could give you some ideas
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=13297.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=13297.0)
-
Here is a pic of what I kept - I normally CAR - but I received some orders from friends for fresh fish - so yesterday I could oblige
You're becoming a pro Ziggs! Well done! (clap)
-
Ziggy, here's a DIY solution that could give you some ideas
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=13297.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=13297.0)
Thanks John - will take a look
-
Here is a pic of what I kept - I normally CAR - but I received some orders from friends for fresh fish - so yesterday I could oblige
You're becoming a pro Ziggs! Well done! (clap)
Thanks Reefman...always been a pro at other facets of fishing and life :hehe:
-
Eish dude!! Nothing worse than losing a rod! :shk
Congrats on the grunter though, those fillets will go a long way to making up for the loss :hnthnt:
-
Sorry about the rod Ziggy but some very nice looking fish! Iv had my spool stripped in the harbour on a sardine tail one evening. I thought i had got stuck in the prop when the line started tearing off the reel. :hehe:
As I read your post, Im glancing out to the glorious sea today and thinking I need to get into some Grunter action this afternoon/eve. :-) What bait were you using ?
I launched at about 11.30 today and started fishing at the cardinal buoy on the tip of the centre island. I decided to only use two rods: Clarus 6'6" (with stradic 2500 and 6lb braid) and berkley 5'6" (with Daiwa BG15 and 8lb mono) - keeping things light and simple....or so I thought!
First the BAD stuff - I baited up and cast the Berkley and put it in the rod holder - then baited up the Clarus and cast...as the line was settling, the Berkley started nodding. I immediately closed the bail on my Clarus and put it down leaning against the gunwale (stupidly not in the rod holder - because I was eager to pick up the other rod). As i picked up the other rod - my clarus shot off the boat at great speed...all I saw was its wake as it speed through the water...like a little boat! Gone forever!!!! It all happened so fast...that bait had not even settled yet.
So, I was left with one rod to fish with...my tiny ultralight Berkely.
Now the GOOD stuff In the next two hours I landed 8 grunter between 1,5 and 2,8kg......and dropped 2 really big ones. I never thought it would be so taxing to land those grunter on that tiny rod!
I feel very sad about that rod - i have had it for almost 4 years....and have caught many blacktail, small shad, kingies from the surf, grunter in the bay and bream and chessa on the Zambez ......i feel a bout of tackle addiction coming on
-
Sorry about the rod Ziggy but some very nice looking fish! Iv had my spool stripped in the harbour on a sardine tail one evening. I thought i had got stuck in the prop when the line started tearing off the reel. :hehe:
As I read your post, Im glancing out to the glorious sea today and thinking I need to get into some Grunter action this afternoon/eve. :-) What bait were you using ?
I launched at about 11.30 today and started fishing at the cardinal buoy on the tip of the centre island. I decided to only use two rods: Clarus 6'6" (with stradic 2500 and 6lb braid) and berkley 5'6" (with Daiwa BG15 and 8lb mono) - keeping things light and simple....or so I thought!
First the BAD stuff - I baited up and cast the Berkley and put it in the rod holder - then baited up the Clarus and cast...as the line was settling, the Berkley started nodding. I immediately closed the bail on my Clarus and put it down leaning against the gunwale (stupidly not in the rod holder - because I was eager to pick up the other rod). As i picked up the other rod - my clarus shot off the boat at great speed...all I saw was its wake as it speed through the water...like a little boat! Gone forever!!!! It all happened so fast...that bait had not even settled yet.
So, I was left with one rod to fish with...my tiny ultralight Berkely.
Now the GOOD stuff In the next two hours I landed 8 grunter between 1,5 and 2,8kg......and dropped 2 really big ones. I never thought it would be so taxing to land those grunter on that tiny rod!
I feel very sad about that rod - i have had it for almost 4 years....and have caught many blacktail, small shad, kingies from the surf, grunter in the bay and bream and chessa on the Zambez ......i feel a bout of tackle addiction coming on
using cracker - I see conditions are perfect and I am thinking of launching late afternoon and fishing till late evening
-
Thanks Ziggy, Hope to be there so will probably see you on the water. Whats the name of your boat?
-
well done Ziggy, some really nice fish there, sad about the rod, but hell to have fishing like that, what a pleasure :happ: :resp: :envy
-
Thanks Ziggy, Hope to be there so will probably see you on the water. Whats the name of your boat?
I will be there from about 3.30 to 8 or so - my boat is called Tjoelies Ride - NRR4R
What is the name f your boat?
-
well done Ziggy, some really nice fish there, sad about the rod, but hell to have fishing like that, what a pleasure :happ: :resp: :envy
Was a great outing besides the rod. Hoping that Mr Cotton will dredge it up instead of those big grunter he has been nailing!
-
Hi Ziggy,
Looks like the skipper is not available so may have to settle at looking at grunter pics you upload.. Haha
Would have gone on a charter boat called Nauticat. Pls pm me your number, will call you if manage to get on the water.
Thanks Ziggy, Hope to be there so will probably see you on the water. Whats the name of your boat?
I will be there from about 3.30 to 8 or so - my boat is called Tjoelies Ride - NRR4R
What is the name f your boat?
-
Hi Ziggy,
Looks like the skipper is not available so may have to settle at looking at grunter pics you upload.. Haha
Would have gone on a charter boat called Nauticat. Pls pm me your number, will call you if manage to get on the water.
[/size]
I have seen Nauticat on the water many times
-
hi there ziggy
will also be on the water on a friends boats but from 6 onwards
-
Hey Ziggy,
Awesome fish, Grunters are awesome fighters and release quite easily....makes you wonder what they keep in reserve! Tough buggers. Awesome photo, nice catch, well done.
Sorry about the rod...but then it's the ocean saying 'you hit us, we hit you.. (bat '
(Let's be honest, there is nothing like ACTION and it sounds like you had plenty!) :clfoto:
-
Howzit Ziggy?
How was the fishing yesterday?
-
Have a look at the Grunter in the Oman report :shk
-
Ziggy are you fishing day time only? I've been told that the waterwing are no longer harrassing the guys fishing at night and that guys without DOC are manageing to get some nightime fishing in.
-
Howzit Ziggy?
How was the fishing yesterday?
npt that great - only 2 grunters at 40cm - nothing else, not even a touch fished from 3.30 to 8
-
Ziggy are you fishing day time only? I've been told that the waterwing are no longer harrassing the guys fishing at night and that guys without DOC are manageing to get some nightime fishing in.
Been fishing days and nights - seen the waterwing around. A buddy was blocked by them last week at night...so I would say that what you have been told is not true
-
hi there ziggy
will also be on the water on a friends boats but from 6 onwards
Where were you guys fishing - and did you catch anything - things were very slow for me last night
-
Good going Ziggy eish I really miss fishin the banks for grunter.
-
Good going Ziggy eish I really miss fishin the banks for grunter.
weather has been bad - and again for a whole week
going to try and go on thursday night - wind looks fine but with some rain and drizzle.....I will see how hard it is raining and if not too bad - I will go and see whats happening on the banks
-
We caught 10 different species in the harbour today:
- kingie,
- concertina fish,
- pursemouth
- mullet,
- threadfin mirror fish
- grunter,
- mackerel,
- sand gurnard,
- sole,
- stumpy
Did not take pics of all - just the first four
-
.
-
Well done Ziggy. Nice fish :bow:
-
Nice one Ziggy, should call you the HARBOUR MASTER
-
Well done Harbour Master! Indeed a species bucket!
-
Nice stuff Ziggy! That is a nice size kingy :happ:
-
Well done centurion, you are is a machine sir
-
nice catches - must of been a lekker fun day - well done
-
Nice Ziggy. Registering my boat for the harbour this year
-
:cgrts: Ziggy, 10 species, one place in one day ! Man you oke's are so fortunate! If we wanna catch that amount of species in one day we have to drive an Uber Sexy Sports car and visit several watering holes :rotfl .
GR8 going there!
-
Well done Ziggy! BTW - I have to ask what you hooked the Mullet on?
-
:cgrts: Ziggy, 10 species, one place in one day ! Man you oke's are so fortunate! If we wanna catch that amount of species in one day we have to drive an Uber Sexy Sports car and visit several watering holes :rotfl .
GR8 going there!
:hyst: :hyst:
speaking of that LGF check out the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iyeUcFKRv4.
-
Well done Ziggy! BTW - I have to ask what you hooked the Mullet on?
All the fish were caught on cracker - except the kingie which was caught on a paddletail
-
Well done Ziggy - impressive list (clap) and please pass on my :envy to your fishing partner w;k
-
Nice report and pics Ziggy.
-
Nice Ziggy, you have learned fast on where, how and when to get some good fishing in the harbour in a short space of time :resp:
-
Awesome stuff Ziggs !
-
:corrct: to the New Harbour Master (clap) How many mackerel did you get ???
-
:corrct: to the New Harbour Master (clap) How many mackerel did you get ???
Total tally for the day was:
1 kingie - (size as per pic)
1 concertina fish - (size as per pic)
8 or more pursemouth (first time that I have seen them around - I was amazed at their size to fight ratio! largest was around 20cm)
1 mullet - (size as per pic)
1 threadfin mirror fish about 30cm
4 grunter - largest was 1,8kg - others were less than 1 kg
3 mackerel standard size
3 sand gurnard- largest was about 35cm
1 sole - small
1 stumpy about 25cm
-
Nice Ziggy, you have learned fast on where, how and when to get some good fishing in the harbour in a short space of time :resp:
...I learnt about where and how from inputs from UA members - like Eric Cotton, Happy Dog and many others on spots and traces- not to mention Krissi and my ongoing quest for using circle hooks so as not to damage the fish.
We fish as light as possible (6'6" rods with 2500 stradics and 10-12lb gosen braid - also a BG15 with 10lb mono). Long 5.5kg flouro traces (1-1.5m) with size 6 power swivels and 1/8 oz sinkers with small carp hooks seem to work the best.
Circle hooks have been a problem for us (we have tried all sizes) - our catch rates decrease dramatically when using them. We have lost too many fish because of the circles - especially while drifting. I think that the circles may work OK when on anchor and the tide and water flow is static and lines are not on tension. Fish tend to snatch the bait off the circles when on the drift without getting hooked. When we revert to very small carp J hooks, our hooks up increase. Having no tension on light braid is also a problem because the line just goes anywhere it wants to and we end up in tangles. ( we each fish with 2 rods at a time)
Now I only use cracker as bait - sardine. pink prawns have delivered absolutely nothing! We used paddle tails to catch the kingie (and will certainly be doing more of that in future - and will be trying some stick baits too.
The best grunter catches have been drifting between the cardinal buoy and the front of the centre island - at about the 4-5m dropoff - also in the area just of the spur of the front opposite Wilsons and as close as possible to the banks (good catches on the drop off in the turning basin). On the rising tide, fishing right on the centre island has been good for grunter - in about 1 m of water. The spot for catches the most species is drifting along the coal terminus has been the best.
I have also learnt that where there are crabs and puffers - move on to another spot!
I have been absolutely amazed at the number of species in the bay - and the number of fish around. I think that the widening of the mouth has a lot to do with this.
But still a lot to be learnt about the right tides, times and wind directions that produce the fish!
I still need to catch a Garrick, springer, pike - and I still need to explore other areas in the harbour such as the silt canal near the mangroves and the wharves on the passenger terminal side. I also want to try some live bait - and take my salt water flyrod out of retirement (I used to catch a lot of springer in the 90's off the banks)
-
Thanks Ziggy, were there a lot of mackeral around ??? the reason I ask is because i need for bait and it may be worth while going to target them :dunno:
-
Thanks Ziggy, were there a lot of mackeral around ??? the reason I ask is because i need for bait and it may be worth while going to target them :dunno:
I think that if you target them specifically - you may have some luck (dont they move around in shoals?) - these were the first I have come across - I doubt if they are as plentiful in the harbour as they are inshore. The ones I caught were on the incoming tide right at the end of the coaling terminal in line with the NSRI -
-
Excellent catches there Ziggy well done.
-
Nice Fish Ziggy. I was on the water too from around 15h00 to 18h30. Tried first at Cardinal Bouy which was dead and then moved to the 2nd last corner just before NSRI which was productive with Grunter.
Managed to pick up a 1,2kg Grunter and then had to leave but me thinks, it would have improved had we stayed.
Concerning Article though in the Independant on Saturday about the plans to push through waste into the Harbour. Il post it shortly.
We caught 10 different species in the harbour today:
- kingie,
- concertina fish,
- pursemouth
- mullet,
- threadfin mirror fish
- grunter,
- mackerel,
- sand gurnard,
- sole,
- stumpy
Did not take pics of all - just the first four
-
Nice Fish Ziggy. I was on the water too from around 15h00 to 18h30. Tried first at Cardinal Bouy which was dead and then moved to the 2nd last corner just before NSRI which was productive with Grunter.
Managed to pick up a 1,2kg Grunter and then had to leave but me thinks, it would have improved had we stayed.
Concerning Article though in the Independant on Saturday about the plans to push through waste into the Harbour. Il post it shortly.
If you are talking about Saturday, I left the water at about 16h00. The cardinal bouy area was dead when we tried it earlier n the day and on our way back - the NE that was blowing does not seem to favour fishing in that spot I think
-
Yep, Saturday. Funny enough, i thought you may have been on the water and kept an eye out for you but forgot the name of your boat.. :blush: So was looking for dude with a goatee. :clwn
Nice Fish Ziggy. I was on the water too from around 15h00 to 18h30. Tried first at Cardinal Bouy which was dead and then moved to the 2nd last corner just before NSRI which was productive with Grunter.
Managed to pick up a 1,2kg Grunter and then had to leave but me thinks, it would have improved had we stayed.
Concerning Article though in the Independant on Saturday about the plans to push through waste into the Harbour. Il post it shortly.
If you are talking about Saturday, I left the water at about 16h00. The cardinal bouy area was dead when we tried it earlier n the day and on our way back - the NE that was blowing does not seem to favour fishing in that spot I think
-
Yep, Saturday. Funny enough, i thought you may have been on the water and kept an eye out for you but forgot the name of your boat.. :blush: So was looking for dude with a goatee. :clwn
:hehe: Goatee is gone! wife made me shave it off so that I would look younger (it should be back again in the next week or two while she is away
Boats name is Tsjoelie's Ride number NRR4R
What does your boat look like?
-
Haha... I guess il have to memorise the name now.. I Don't have a boat so I was on a friends one, called Nauticat. Il IM you when Im next on the water and will be good to meet... But with this Harbour story, Im a little averse to bay fishing.. :-(
I was told that coal terminal area has been producing Kingies over the last week or so but the guys felt the wind wasn't right so we didn't pursue... duh
:hehe: Goatee is gone! wife made me shave it off so that I would look younger (it should be back again in the next week or two while she is away
Boats name is Tsjoelie's Ride number NRR4R
What does your boat look like?
-
very nice kingie zigs, where was it caught by the coaling terminal?
-
Haha... I guess il have to memorise the name now.. I Don't have a boat so I was on a friends one, called Nauticat. Il IM you when Im next on the water and will be good to meet... But with this Harbour story, Im a little averse to bay fishing.. :-(
I was told that coal terminal area has been producing Kingies over the last week or so but the guys felt the wind wasn't right so we didn't pursue... duh
I often see nauticat around. Yes - the wind changed at about 14h00 - before that it was sort of OK
-
very nice kingie zigs, where was it caught by the coaling terminal?
On the far end of the coaling termnal - where the first red marker of the mouth is - about 40m in from the side
-
wow some stunning fish there. that second one is beautiful.
(clap) (clap)
-
Some nice catches there ziggie.. the harbour can produce many spicies.. but to have that many in one session is a great achivment! :win:
-
Good fishing Ziggy, you fast becoming the Harbour Master!
-
I challenge anyone to match this species caught in the harbour today!
-
I challenge anyone to match this species caught in the harbour today!
you are kidding.....is that a carp/koi ?
-
I challenge anyone to match this species caught in the harbour today!
you are kidding.....is that a carp/koi ?
Koi
-
Now Ziggy, you accused us Vaalies yesterday of being bored, this gives living by the sea a new meaning. Your creativeness knows no bounds. Cant wait for 1 April!
-
Now Ziggy, you accused us Vaalies yesterday of being bored, this gives living by the sea a new meaning. Your creativeness knows no bounds. Cant wait for 1 April!
What are you saying Toppie? That is not a "creative" pic - I promise, no photoshop this time
-
to prove that it is no photoshop - here is another pic
-
With all the rain we been having Im not too surprised! Must have washed down!
-
:hehe: :rotfl :hyst: :nuts:
-
Submit it for records :crzy
-
Submit it for records :crzy
What record can I claim for it? Will have to be a new category
-
How about the: "I have to be drunk to believe my own story" category :frid
-
How about the: "I have to be drunk to believe my own story" category :frid
If you think I am lying - explain the pics] :crzy
-
never said that!
By the way on what did you catch it?
-
never said that!
By the way on what did you catch it?
trade secret! All will be revealed in good time when I finish writing up the tut on how to catch Koi in salt
-
No ways Ziggy, now thats a first
-
Koi in the harbour!?!?!! How did it not get chowed?? :nuts: :craz:
-
:shk .. now i've seen it all , crazy stuff , Ziggy about that bread you bake are you sure um ... its bread and not those other muffin things , :rotfl ... jokes aside though thats a 1st in any saltwater angling , Koi caught in saltwater ... maybe google around and see if its happened anywhere else , you could be holding some kind of world record there with that catch ... :dunno:
-
Way to go, Ziggy. Now I'v seen it all.
-
Guys I have a big Koi dam and add at leased 50kg of salt every month. Keeps them healthy.
-
Need to be koi when you claim the prize! Well done nice one for the record book
-
:hehe: :rotfl :lolo: :FST: :cgrts: :hyst: !
-
Eventualy some colour in an otherwise dreary existance! :crzy :crzy
-
Nice photoshop job!
-
Halco or Rapala Ziggy ? :hehe:
-
What the F!!! That it crazy!!! its an odd looking koi too, weird shape to the body and the mouth looks different to normal. :shk
-
Nice photoshop job!
Not photoshop! Its real for sure...ask a photoshop expert
-
What the F!!! That it crazy!!! its an odd looking koi too, weird shape to the body and the mouth looks different to normal. :shk
I cant tell one koi from another
-
Halco or Rapala Ziggy ? :hehe:
Neither - catch method will be revealed in good time!
Can anyone guess how I caught it? Cred for anyone who can
-
Eventualy some colour in an otherwise dreary existance! :crzy :crzy
It brought a lot of colour to my very dreary fishing day - otherwise I only caught a couple of very small grunter and a number of "colourless" sand gurnard
-
Keep trying Ziggy, next you may catch some smoked kippers in the harbour!
-
Keep trying Ziggy, next you may catch some smoked kippers in the harbour!
Smoked kipper? Definitely CAR - just like the many other things I have caught in the harbour....condoms, sanitary pads, nappies etc etc
-
Keep trying Ziggy, next you may catch some smoked kippers in the harbour!
Toppie - I detect an element of skepticism about my Koi and of the veracity of my report....Am I correct?
As for smoked kipper - I would certainly release that! Along with the other strange things caught n the harbour, which range form condoms to sanitary towels to nappies....and much more...no tyres and gumboots yet!
-
you caught it with a mudprawn while fishing for grunter... :dunno: :hehe: don't tell me you used a earthworm...?? :lolo: :rotfl
Halco or Rapala Ziggy ? :hehe:
Neither - catch method will be revealed in good time!
Can anyone guess how I caught it? Cred for anyone who can
-
you caught it with a mudprawn while fishing for grunter... :dunno: :hehe: don't tell me you used a earthworm...?? :lolo: :rotfl
wrong on both counts!
-
you told me about your flyfishing equipment the other day...so a fly maby...?? :dunno: :hehe:
-
you told me about your flyfishing equipment the other day...so a fly maby...?? :dunno: :hehe:
Still wrong!
-
o.k,last guess...a piece of dough you made from your sandwich... :dunno: :hnthnt: :hehe:
-
o.k,last guess...a piece of dough you made from your sandwich... :dunno: :hnthnt: :hehe:
again...wrong! I bake my own bread - too good to feed fish with it
-
Cast net maybe
-
Cast net maybe
no
-
Bloodworm
-
Landing net
-
Landing net
Eish! You Witrevier ous' are pretty smart hey! Must be because of all those lekker litchi's and mangoes......
Yes, a landing net...the dead koi came floating past my boat and I scooped it up with my landing net.
It must have washed out of someones pond during the heavy rain we had the day before. Although dead - it was still pretty fresh (take a look at the eyes)
I thought I would post it here as a joke
-
w;k That's how we fish in the lowveld Ziggy :hyst: :hyst:
-
w;k That's how we fish in the lowveld Ziggy :hyst: :hyst:
I was born and bred in Nelspruit by the way - so I know!
-
Aha, a lowvelder at heart (clap)
-
Ziggy how much cred have you lost so far? :hnthnt:
-
Hahaha come on!!! At least its real. (clap)
-
Ziggy, I'm surprised that thing was still in one peice and hadn't been chowed by something. How far away from any outlet/drain did you pick it up?
-
Ziggy, I'm surprised that thing was still in one peice and hadn't been chowed by something. How far away from any outlet/drain did you pick it up?
It could have come in from many places - I picked it up opposite Wilsons Wharf. Like I said, it was still pretty fresh with clear eyes.
-
Hahaha come on!!! At least its real. (clap)
As i said a few times above - no photoshop!
-
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: how did it taste?
-
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: how did it taste?
It was CAR!!!!
-
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: how did it taste?
It was CAR!!!!
:rotfl
-
Excellent Ziggy!!
-
wow, freaky catch. did you let go? some say koi can fetch an handsome price, somewhere in the hundreds of thousands, this one could of double that.
now watch the entire country hit the harbour :hehe:
-
That is outlandish, you should have kept it, those things go for big ammo in the koi shop. You could start a salt water breeding stock.
Definately a catch that will not be topped (in the harbour).
-
Wow, now thats the weirdest thing ever! Looking forward to a story on how you caught it (What you used). Strange looking Koi, did it have any barbs in the mouth region Ziggy? Also just FYI the fish itself would not be worth a whole lot because of the pink blemishes or colours on the skin, but collectors pay huge amounts of money for that type of eye colour and eye ring. But chances are it would have died if you kept it.
Koi can be finicky fish to keep (If you are a collector and trying to maintain healthy looking fish with "the right" colours) but they can adapt to saltwater quite well (Similar to a Carp), just never heard one actually being seen/caught in the salt, very nice :+ cred:
-
Didnt read the post sry duh
-
Saturday - fishing was slow, but caught this Skate - 9.6kg on 10lb braid, stradic 2500 - took a cracker on a tiny hook
-
(clap) nice catch Ziggy .. :Like:
-
Nice one Ziggy. I never thought one would find them in the harbour.
-
If there is a sand bank there is a ray. Along the Sundays river and van Stadens coast you often have to side step the Diamond and Duckbulls while waiding. We have cought young Duckbulls in the Swartkops river way past the trainbridge. Nice skate must have been a fight and a half to get him of the bottom. Well done
-
Nice one Ziggy (clap)
-
Nice Ziggy,Did you watch AFSN last night,Dean and Loyd catching grunter in the harbour,they got a fat one.
-
Well done. Must have been quite a fight.
-
Wow (clap) nice one Ziggy
-
Great catch on that tackle, how long did you do battle for?
-
Hi guys fished friday afternoon got a few kingies and pickhandle but this one was a first for me
-
Nice catch,looks like the harbour is the place to be at the moment,some great catches coming from it. (clap)
-
Well done.Used to do lure fishing in the harbour a couple years ago.Great fun on light tackle.
-
Wow that must of been a hell of a surprise, great catch. Durban harbour looking good for sure
-
Great catch on that tackle, how long did you do battle for?
It took about 20 minutes on that little reel and light rod - a lot of screaming drag.....brought it near the boat three times before it decided that it was easier to be netted than to fight on - released safely
later I caught a much smaller one
This is about the 6th I have caught in the past 6 months
-
Nice fish!
-
nice one Ziggy. plenty of :sreel: bringing that in
-
Nice one Ziggy (clap)
-
Sorry for the hijack but reminded me of the honeycomb caught by my son (then 8 years old) in the Umtamvuna River, Port Edward - first cast with a brand new 6foot R150-00 Kingfisher combo (all plastic reel)
-
Nice one Ziggy. Aqua that must have been a great fight for him
-
Thanks guys fished the bay this afternoon got a couple small kingies and pickie's and my first perch on lure
-
Good going ziggy not easy landing them on light tackle
-
:gt: :tite
-
:ayb
-
Excellent catches Dom! (clap)
What rod you using to cast those?
-
very nice
-
Brilliant stuff, some fish to be proud of!
-
Stunning well done :clwn
-
Very nice - I am officially giving up bait fishing in the harbour!
-
Lovely fish domz .wat size are those lures?
-
Casting slimbait 175mm 30g
-
:happ: Nice!
-
Thanks Domz :udman:
-
Great fish there mate!!!!
-
nice fish, well done, the harbour seems to be healthy with fish at the moment, lets wait for the grunter post mortem to see if we can eat them
-
The small kingies are eating them as well, even tho its bigger than the fish!
-
:gt: darryl with his green spot kingie!
-
:grk: trevors garrick :shmno:
-
Eish just gets better was that garrick caught recently???
-
yeah all the fish were caught in the last 3 weeks
-
Cool and i thought we only get garrick around august learning everyday thanks guy
-
Great fish those, well done (clap) (clap) (clap)
-
Howzit Domz, are those lures you using the rapala max rap,If not please supply the name and weight,much appreciated.
-
Howzit Domz, are those lures you using the rapala max rap,If not please supply the name and weight,much appreciated.
Casting slimbait 175mm 30g
it was mentioned... w;k ..., :welc: gotta get me some too... :clwn
-
HOWZIT ! THEY THE CID SLIM BAITS 30G
-
Thanks, what retrieve are you using?
-
always mixing it up hey, slow fast medium twitches. You have to find out what the fish likes, normally on the pause they smash it.
-
Great stuff!
-
Thanks Domz
-
Cool and i thought we only get garrick around august learning everyday thanks guy
Hi Guys,
I have an opinion here about the Garrick in the bay. We have tagged and released over 100 of these magnificent creatures in the bay over the last number of years. One thing that has become very evident to us is that these fish have one of 2 distinct shapes. They are either long and sleek or short and very deep in the body. If you look at the one in the picture above you will see that it is of the short and deep variety and is seemingly in the bay out of season. We have only had recaptures in the bay of the short and deep variety. The long and sleeks are captured on the coastline. It is our theory that there is a resident population in the harbour and that their body shape has changed due to their "lack of exercise" and abundance of food.......something for you guys to think about!
-
Ok, by request, Durban Harbour threads merged into 1 = Durban Harbour Whatsup.
-
Ok, by request, Durban Harbour threads merged into 1 = Durban Harbour Whatsup.
Thanks for that Reefs!
-
Those who fish in the Harbour should contribute to this thread - but only with pics and stories about fish that have been released.
In order to preserve what we already have in the bay - we should not promote the taking of fish - other than for research that will assist in the maintenance of the fishery (such as the sacrificial grunters that have gone for analysis)
As is the case with CAR - there are times when fish die, and this is unavoidable. However, we can begin to mitigate against this by promoting the use of tactics and tackle that cause little or no harm to the fish.
Contributions on how this can be done will be great!
-
Those who fish in the Harbour should contribute to this thread - but only with pics and stories about fish that have been released.
In order to preserve what we already have in the bay - we should not promote the taking of fish - other than for research that will assist in the maintenance of the fishery (such as the sacrificial grunters that have gone for analysis)
As is the case with CAR - there are times when fish die, and this is unavoidable. However, we can begin to mitigate against this by promoting the use of tactics and tackle that cause little or no harm to the fish.
Contributions on how this can be done will be great!
:corrct: :corrct: :resp:
-
Nice pics of some of those rays.
The rays in the harbour are actually a lot bigger that we think.
I saw two rays about two weeks ago around the centre bank. one was approximately 1.2, wingspan and the other at least 1.6, maybe even 2 (honeycomb ray). I was indeed surprised to see such a huge ray in our bay.
As for sharks, 3m plus.
Seeing was believing...
-
Nice pics of some of those rays.
The rays in the harbour are actually a lot bigger that we think.
I saw two rays about two weeks ago around the centre bank. one was approximately 1.2, wingspan and the other at least 1.6, maybe even 2 (honeycomb ray). I was indeed surprised to see such a huge ray in our bay.
As for sharks, 3m plus.
Seeing was believing...
Last saturday, we hooked one (using 8lb mono) It was so big that we never saw it after 30 minutes of being on - it was like we were attached to a wiggling concrete block that was slowly circling our boat! Eventually it came off
Once one huge one breached next to the boat - it came right our of the water - it was so big that I thought it was a dolphin!
A few weeks ago, we saw a large shark in the silt canal - and that really spooked us - no way I would wade like some of those guys at Wilsons!
-
Silt canal was where I also saw one Zambezi around 3m plus. it was cruising is such shallow water its dorsal fin could not be kept below the water surface. It came straight towards us , and slid off the bank down the drop-off as it cruised right under us!
thankfully, i was on a boat.
-
Suprise catch for me this morning targeting kingies in the bay, landed 2 queen mackerels and lost the springer right by the boat! my conony managed to get a pic atleast before it got away! awsome fight with the springer, my first having one at the end of my line :sreel:
-
Well done domz, I think if you targeted them specifically you would get more, quite a few have been coming out in the bay lately.
-
:cgrts: !! lol see ziggy it can be done snoek in the harbour
-
Nice one domz , what did u catch them on .??
-
:cgrts: !! lol see ziggy it can be done snoek in the harbour
Imagine that - now I am fully charged up....but will have to wait until next week, off to St Lucia this weekend
-
Caught the fisH on a small silver cut back spoon
-
Brilliant stuff Domz!!!
-
Nice very well done Domz
-
Durban Harbour March 2014
Since April has been so quiet, I decided to write an article about March fishing in Durban Harbour.
Our tackle for this kind of sport is always 6-7ft sticks, 2000-2500 size reels, 8-10lb braid with leaders up to 15lb. Lures only - no bait.
Following on from a relatively exciting February with us having landed up to 30 fish and 5 species per session, our expectations for March were already relatively high.
First week March, a midweek afternoon session rendered a few fish off the Crocker Ski, namely 4 Perch, 3 GTs, two Pickhandles and a Flathead. We took a couple pics:
Little GT on Rapala:
(http://i60.tinypic.com/34tbvbk.jpg)
Perch on Popper:
(http://i58.tinypic.com/2uivy42.jpg)
Better size GT on Popper:
(http://i57.tinypic.com/2elfqlx.jpg)
Unfortunately, our March expectations mapped somewhat similarly to the barometer over the first two weekends of March as a series of fronts rolled in, typically each Wednesday or Thursday before the week-ends, leaving us with typically difficult conditions in which to fish. We still managed the odd fish here and there, but certainly unlike previous weeks.
For my birthday on the 13th, I decided to fish the late Wednesday afternoon. We were expecting some action as a front was on it’s way and the barometer steadily dropping ahead of the front. We had a few hits here and there, but nothing stuck. On a number of occasions, smaller Pickhandle Barracuda would leap out the water, attacking our surface lures. I missed a fairly big aggressive take on my Thai Stick, and as a birthday present, my faithful buddy (faithful because he just had to out-fish me on my birthday) Mo threw immediately after my miss and was smashed by this beautiful River Snapper. With a fair amount of rocky structure around, it was a splendid effort mot to lose this fish. Well done, Mo.
(http://i58.tinypic.com/2ltjxur.jpg)
By the third week in March, our expectations had finally started to dissipate, and it was one of those really slow mornings. The fish were just not committing. We had a number of early boils and misses, bit there was a certain lack of aggression. Just before we decided to pack in, with the sun already fairly high in the sky, in a “why-not” kind of gesture, Justin decided to lob the X-Rap Walk around a bit. I was done fishing, and was ready to go home. “ON” comes the voice over my shoulder. “Ja - With another packet fish”, is the thought in my head until I hear that little reel screaming. Ah, must be a big Pickhandle, we agree as it breaks the surface briefly. The fish changes direction, and has to be forced hard to bring it over the extended anchor line. It breaks the surface as Justin forces it’s run. We still convinced it’s a big Pickhandle. After a number of minutes fighting, and a couple strong runs, we finally get it close enough to see that it is in fact a Garrick. What a surprise. Our first Garrick of 2014 in March! Yes – there are a number of resident Garrick in the bay.
(http://i57.tinypic.com/2v12qua.jpg)
The fish was very healthy, and swam away surprisingly strongly on release.
We also managed two torpedo scad on the way back:
(http://i60.tinypic.com/rs536w.jpg)
So - It was left to the last weekend of March for some action finally to come. Friday evening, an after work session yielded two nice GTs, both on my March favourite lure – the StrikePro Walk, followed by a bite-off whilst trolling a 17cm Rapala around centre bank. Didn’t hear or feel a thing. Goodbye Mr Rap.
One of the little kingies:
(http://i61.tinypic.com/hve1jq.jpg)
We hit the water early Saturday, and on arrival we knew things were right. There was action everywhere around us. One of those mornings where you cannot get your stick and throw quick enough.......my very first throw I was smashed by a donkey Pickhandle on my second wind. It was still quite dark, and the action around us was hectic, so we didn’t take a photo, but the fish was over 70cm. Typically, I encountered a bit of a braid tangle after releasing that fish – you know that kind which you just cannot undo when the fish are going wild.....What felt like 20 minutes later, I was untangled and looked where to throw next. I spotted a chase to my right, threw in the area and bam – on again. This time, I could feel it was a kingy. Landed and released this nice little kingy:
(http://i59.tinypic.com/33y6g6d.jpg)
One or two throws later, bam – again, a kingy. Landed and released this nice little kingy:
(http://i60.tinypic.com/nn89s3.jpg)
All went quiet for a while, but soon the chases came again – almost every throw around the chasing would result in a smash. It wasn’t long before we had a double up – Justin with a Pickhandle, and myself with another GT, both released.
(http://i61.tinypic.com/2qa4b2u.jpg)
Justin was a little distracted from fishing time having to take a photo of my fish every now and then, but eventually landed and released one kingy of his own:
(http://i62.tinypic.com/feno09.jpg)
Things soon quietened down as the sun made it’s appearance, giving us the first smoke and coffee break. It felt a little unusual following the quietness of the 3 weeks preceding. To wrap things up for the morning, Justin hooked into something huge on a 7cm rapala. Running straight towards a submerged tree some 120m from us, it rapidly relinquished his little spool of most of it’s 150m braid before parting under the pressure Justin had to apply. There was no stopping that fish on our tackle......
And so ended March for us, with thoughts of what that “one that got away” could have been. Our agreed conclusion is that it must have been one huge kingfish.
April starts.........
(http://i57.tinypic.com/28a8b9x.jpg)
-
Awesome fish chaps!!! :clfoto:
-
Yep, thanks for the report mate, was a decent month! Lets hope we can get some more decent stuff in what's left of April. And break some of them records..... w;k
-
Great fish gents (clap)
-
Well written report there Chris! Excellent read with excellent fish! Is that Grunter Gully in some of your pics?
-
Well written report there Chris! Excellent read with excellent fish! Is that Grunter Gully in some of your pics?
It's a little bit of everywhere. the only area we did not really fish in march was south of centre bank towards the mouth. You just have to move around until you find a spot that works. tides and weather play an important role in which areas are more likely to be productive on a given day. paying attention to banks, baitfish, water colour, temperature, rubbish in the water, currents, wind etc..
-
Great report Chris! Awesome catches! :+ cred:
-
Wow great report and great catches (clap)
-
thanks oaks.
nothing like sharing a good experience with those who appreciate it..
-
(clap) great report and some good catches and :clfoto: , looks like Durban Harbour is the place to be for having fun on light tackle.
-
Great report there Chris, thanks for sharing
-
Lets hope the long weekend produces....!
-
Anybody get anything interesting in the last week......?
-
hi guys, heard of some big grunter between 4-6kg landed, not sure which part of the harbour. we caught lots of snappers last week, some small grunter and a few pickhandle. water is still warm. lots of small bait fish around, should be good to target fish on lure.
-
Long time gents...thought id share my catches from my last three outings! The bay has been cooking with the kingies of late, all released in good faith, giving them a change to fight another day :tite
-
double ups seem to happen quite often which is always a blast :geet
-
and i cant upload the rest due to error
-
:happ:
-
:gt:
-
Over 30 fish caught mostly small :shmno:
-
:rck" Well done Domz, some nice light tackle fun :happ:
-
Well done with some good catches. (clap)
-
Lovely little Geets! Well done! (clap)
-
Great catches! Must have been awesome fun on the light tackle!
-
Nice fish! I am happy to see the harbour producing....I am missing the harbour while being here in Washington DC......but will be back mid January and I hope the kingies are still around
-
Seen some huge seapike around but haven't hooked any big ones yet, only small. One of the little ones got taxed by a bigger one....!! Blacktip, Bigeye Kingfish and GT's around....
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2795)
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2794)
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2781)
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2793)
-
just a mini mini report.......
Launched early on Sunday with a strong NE blowing already. With a high tide at around 6.30 battled a bit to get crackers so only really started fishing around 10am. Went for a drift at coal terminal but with the strong NE fishing was not easy as we were drifting a bit fast. Managed two snappers and a 450mm grunter. Decided to move further into the harbour, but during our move the wind swung to a strong SW. We eventually ended up anchoring in the vicinity of the dry docks to get some shelter from a (by now) busting SW. It wasn’t long before we were joined by 3 of the charter boats in the same area, all trying to hide from the wind. Fishing was slow, with a few undersize grunter and small cock grunters coming out. Managed one grunter that made size, and this bartail….
It’s been a while since I saw a bartail this size, so apologies for the quality of the pic as I tried to get it back in the water as quickly as possible with minimal handling. Eventually decided to call it a day as the wind was really unpleasant.
What was really sad to see is the amount of waste floating in the harbour that washed down after the recent rains. There were literally mini islands of bottles and other rubbish all over.
-
I hear the harbor has been producing lately ?? not sure how true this is.
-
fished sunday, got some decent grunter, lots small ones around too , few small kingies and mixed parcel of juveniles.. fishing was decent I would say. lots of surface activity and lots of sprats around.. also saw some big sharks jumping.
-
Been Getting a LOT of baby Kingies on surface lures mostly, usually just at daybreak, and this weekend was no different. Started off with a few of these as usual, and also got an Oxeye Tarpon which I didn't get a pic of....
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2841)
Fished with a buddy Greg Davey who scored a small GT.....
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2842)
And then on Monday we took a walk to South Pier and everyone blanked except for Greg, who blew us all away with this....
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2844)
On a 7' Daiwa Crossfire throwing a 3" paddletail. It gave him a bit of a workout on that small rod.
-
Wow, 4 years ago. The addition of a second wonderful child also 4 years ago seems to have a part to play... :rotfl