ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => DIY Lures => Topic started by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 01:17:22 AM

Title: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 01:17:22 AM
right,summer is on it's way so I thought I'd start preparing... :happ: first time attempting a tut like this...hope you enjoy... :-) made these last week
some of the tools you"ll need..
1st pic:I think mostly self explanatory...
2nd pic:I used a belt-sander for shaping,with 80 grit paper..
3rd pic:a piece of meranti that was lying around...cut a 115mm long pice and made it square,about 30mmx30mm
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 01:24:54 AM
I then drilled a 6mm hole through the centre with drillpress(make sure it's level using water-level before drilling)I then drew a rough pic of what I wanted the popper to look like,on the wood with pencil...then started shaping it on belt-sander...
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 01:34:50 AM
after a bit more shaping and a lot of elbow grease sanding by hand with 180grit sandpaper,I was finally happy with the shape..getting there... :hnthnt: then used a round grinding stone for the"cup-face"..
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 01:45:28 AM
the  :beer: in the previous pic is optional,but got thirsty working with this "hard" wood...I then mixed about 70% of this sealer to 30% thinners and soaked it for about 20 min.
I hung it outside in the sun till dry,then lightly sanded it again for a smooth finish...this you can repeat till satisfied with finish,next up is primer(grey)
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 01:58:31 AM
 sry just realised didn't show that I added the wire through the popper...drilled a 6mm hole for powerswivel that joined the "main"hole that was drilled with drill-press from top to bottom,used 1,6mm wire that was passed through the one "eye"of the swivel... I then sprayed the first coat of grey primer...checked finish and 2nd coat of primer went on
last pic I sprayed the first coat of mirror chrome and hung to dry again...
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 02:07:20 AM
1st pic:once dry the second coat was sprayed on...
2nd pic:decided to go red-head...taped it of and painted with red cutex..."leant" from my wife... :hehe: (bat
3rd:same
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 02:22:26 AM
I then made it "shine" a bit by adding some blue and green glitter and then sprayed a couple coats clear coat and added split-rings and hooks...6/0 4xh/duty bandit mid-body and a 7/0 4x/h/duty at the back...and it's done... w;k
3rd pic:hooks,split-rings and swivels used...more to come...
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 02:29:16 AM
b.t.w.this red-head popper weighs about 2 1/2 -3 ounces...unfortunately no scale to give accurate weight,will add the next "project"later... :hnthnt:
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: John F on August 09, 2013, 06:29:26 AM
Nice! No eyes?

Have you tried to swim it or see how it sits in the water?

Can't go wrong with red head!
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: isivuba on August 09, 2013, 07:53:45 AM
Nice Tut Nicky  :win: (clap) . How long does it take to make this from scratch?
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: REEFMAN on August 09, 2013, 08:04:05 AM
Great work Nicky!  :+ cred:
How did you get the wire through for the belly hook?
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lenny on August 09, 2013, 08:07:31 AM
Thanks for Sharing Nicky .


A broomstick works for smaller plugs .
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Kent on August 09, 2013, 08:28:31 AM
 :win: :win: :clfoto:
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 12:26:45 PM
Great work Nicky!  :+ cred:
How did you get the wire through for the belly hook?

Nice Tut Nicky  :win: (clap) . How long does it take to make this from scratch?
Nice! No eyes?

Have you tried to swim it or see how it sits in the water?

Can't go wrong with red head!
@ :tkx: JohnF,no eyes yet...but looking for some,hard to find here in Mosselbay... :dunno: the weather has been bad here but she and the others will definately go for a swim this weekend...
@Mike,this 1 took about 3 days,it's a hard wood and not that easy to work with(over hundred years old too...was taken from C.Town station toilets' doorframes, when my dad renovated the station for W.Cup soccer,he was site foreman)a lot of sanding and also waiting for paint and clearcoat to dry...gotta be patient there... :blush: have made mistakes...
@mr. Reefs,extra  :+ cred: to you for all your tuts,as this tut was a bit more work than I thought... :blush: resizing pics and then organising them to be shown in the right post...I only stopped using Tippex to delete/backspace a year ago... :blush: joking :hehe: .Here is a pic of how I bent the wire...the wire enters the front/mouth and is pushed through the eye/ring of the swivel that I'm holding in the 6mm hole that was drilled at bottom....the tag end at the back I just feed in from behind once front "eye"is sitting right...
 
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 01:04:34 PM
this one was made with 2 pieces of pine,20mm x 20mm x 125mm,both must be identical in size so shape them accordingly,then lightly glue the two together...the shape of the lure is drawn on paper,to scale(125mm x20mm)of what you want the side-on profile and top/bottom shape to be...then 1st trace both the sides onto the wood and cut the excess wood off using a jigsaw(cut on outside of the lines so that you can shape it on belt-sander).once that's done do the top and bottom,keep in mind where you want the back and front eye to be...the sky's the limit to shapes/sizes one can do...and that makes it exciting because the fish might bite any of them...and you created it too... :happ:
1st pic:pine-wood
pic 2:rough sketch just to show you...
3rd pic:the shaping is done...
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 01:16:49 PM
 sry forgot to take pics of the lure being cut appart with carpet-knife,and rebate cut into centre of the lure for wire to lie in duh ,hope the 1st pic explains...it was then glued back together and placed in a clamp for 20 min. for glue to set,gave it another light sand-off with 180grit sandpaper.
2nd pic:after being submerged in the wood-sealer solution for 20 min.
3rd pic:different angle...
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 01:36:20 PM
small tip,if you dont have wood filler you can use some of the white wood glue and mix that with the sanded wood(powder)from beltsander and mix the two to make a paste,then use as needed and sand off once dry...
1st pic:once you are happy with the finish,you can spray it with a light coat of primer...
pic 2:repeat this stage once it has dried...
pic 3:I decided to use a combination of blu and yellow on the top,and white and mirror chrome on the belly...this was sprayed from a distance of between 400mm-450mm,normal spraycan used...once dry I dusted it slightly with green glitter and sprayed the first coat of clearcoat... :rck"
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 01:41:45 PM
some more..
pic 2&3:more coats clearcoat..got I think 3/4 coats...
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 01:47:29 PM
pic 1:what it looked like after final coat dried... :hnthnt:
pic 2/3:armed and ready...4/0 4xh/duty front and 5/0 4xh/duty at the tail...and voila... :hehe: I actually prefer this ones colour scheme...just gotta look for some eyes and it's done...
p.s:this one weighs about 1 1/2 ounce...
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 02:01:46 PM
this was my 2nd attempt at this...here are my first attempts,the white and red popper has also got a cupface...I like the hooks as they look strong/sharp and have a short shank... :shd: :grk: and kob of course...come on summer... :geet :yipee: :rck" :fshn: :lolo: :tite ...done for now...
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 02:32:03 PM
this is what the through wire looks like...the little green lure(actually blue and yellow)with green glitter,weighs about 1 ounce with a 3/0 4xh/duty Bandit hook...last pic the three hanging around till they go for their first swim... :hehe: w;k
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: REEFMAN on August 09, 2013, 03:03:54 PM
Very nice! Well done!  (clap)
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 09, 2013, 06:39:25 PM
just a quick report on my swimmers... :hehe: just got back from Kleinbrakriver and the redhead pops beautifully with a splash and a dive and then a bubble trail underwater...worked a little slower it's got a nice side to side action at the rear and still pushes/splashes water with the cupface :happ: .The topwater lure(greenish top,silver/white stomach)also swims nicely with a bit of a side to side dart in front and pulled a bit faster it dives and darts...can't wait to try them at Gouritzriver when the kobbies and leeries start biting...got others that dive deeper too... w;k the bucktails and other lipped lures,and paddletails etc.must first wait a while I think till I land something on my creations... :hnthnt: :hehe: :shd: :grk: we need a kob thingiemajiek too... :lolo: :win: :uarocks
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 15, 2013, 01:25:04 PM
We were planning a camping/fishing trip to Gouritzriver this weekend where I wanted to test my "creations"....now the bad weather has pulled in and looks like it's here to stay till around Sunday... :rain: :cry: now we gotta do  :frid to stay warm.. :hnthnt: :hehe:
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Prego on August 15, 2013, 01:53:56 PM
Good work, hope you get some bite marks on them soon.

 :+ cred: for the effort of posting
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on August 15, 2013, 01:59:38 PM
was hoping to get some tooth marks on them...but now... :rain: till Sunday... :-(
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Fishersteve on October 25, 2013, 08:32:51 PM
Well done, great work. What clear coat do you use Lofty.
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on October 26, 2013, 12:35:26 AM
Well done, great work. What clear coat do you use Lofty.
If you go back and look at the 12th pic I posted you'll see the clearcoat I used..the one on the right with the seethrough cap... w;k I don't know if it's the best clearcoat to use but it looked good after 3 coats...gives the lures a nice shine/finish... :-) are you making your own poppers/lures too..?
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Shivaan on October 28, 2013, 10:06:09 AM
Great post lofty  :+ cred: . Makes me want to make my own also!
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Fishersteve on November 07, 2013, 10:46:31 PM
Well done, great work. What clear coat do you use Lofty.
If you go back and look at the 12th pic I posted you'll see the clearcoat I used..the one on the right with the seethrough cap... w;k I don't know if it's the best clearcoat to use but it looked good after 3 coats...gives the lures a nice shine/finish... :-) are you making your own poppers/lures too..?


Yes Lofty but haven't made any for a while as we made quite a few last year.Mainly lures for night time use with a few top water hand carves.Always trying to find the next best clear coat tho.
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: LGF on November 08, 2013, 11:14:43 AM
Guys, we use 2K automotive for a clear coat, but recently the wife brought home some stuff that is self-levelling (Clear and glass) that is to be used on serving trays once she decop'ed something something it. Anyhow, its called Pratley-glo or Pratley-fix. Its a two part product and hardens really clear and even. They claim it can withstand serious scratches and so forth, also waterproof apparently, will see if I can get some from her hobby box and see if the claims are true.
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Lofty on November 08, 2013, 01:55:02 PM
Guys, we use 2K automotive for a clear coat, but recently the wife brought home some stuff that is self-levelling (Clear and glass) that is to be used on serving trays once she decop'ed something something it. Anyhow, its called Pratley-glo or Pratley-fix. Its a two part product and hardens really clear and even. They claim it can withstand serious scratches and so forth, also waterproof apparently, will see if I can get some from her hobby box and see if the claims are true.
that's interesting,I'll be waiting for your response...or better yet I'll make another popper/stickbait or w.h.y.and then try find these clearcoats that you mentioned... w;k the clearcoat spray that I used gives a nice finish,but it's not very scratch resistant
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: LGF on November 08, 2013, 07:28:18 PM
kay so it is called Pratliglo and sells for around R70 which covers roughly 1m2 if memory serves me at all. have not yet tried it on any of my kazillion poppers and sticks, purely because I could not decide on good colour schemes yet.(http://www.sasupplies.com/images/pratliglo.jpg) (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/javascript:window.close())
 
This is their claim " PratligloŽ is a self-leveling, pour-on finish for trays, table tops, plaques, clocks and figurines. It sets to a high-build, ultra-gloss finish which is absolutely breathtaking! This one coat, non shrinking, impact resistant product is also cigarette burn and alcohol resistant."
Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: Fishersteve on November 09, 2013, 08:15:06 PM
Very interesting stuff LGF thanks , let us know how it turns out.



Title: Re: some wooden poppers and lures for summer...
Post by: LGF on November 09, 2013, 09:22:29 PM
Very interesting stuff LGF thanks , let us know how it turns out.


Will do, need to dust off the airbrushes and shake the paint bottles very good, and do some prep work, these poppers and sticks have been lying around and have been moved back and forth in the weasel worx and have gathered various scratches and some dirt.


Personally I think this stuff will be a lot quicker and a lot easier than 2k, will just have to take care in continuos rotation whilst it is curing, otherwise it might form a blob/drop at the lowest point of the lure!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal