ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Dropshot fishing => Topic started by: LGF on August 08, 2013, 07:07:50 PM
-
Guys
There's a question about where at Vidal one would be "luckiest" to get fish on dropshot and also where one could buy baits whilst down there and of cause, what baits to buy?
please help, cause I could not answer the questions and I really would like to help the bloke??
-
LGF... your best bet is in the Bay itself on a pushing tide and off the ledges to the South in front of the Lighthouse at Low.
To the right of the bay, there are some nice rocks to work dropshot off at Low tide.
Also Mission Rocks (just after the entrance to Vidal) - nice spot for Cave Bass, Bronze Bream and all the Reef fish.
There is a Bait shop in St Lucia called Raggie Tackle - they provide decent bait.
-
Thanx Reefs, will post the link for the New Guy, he joined UA last night (SA time)
-
Reefs Raggie tackle is not what it used to be they have a hook and a sinker and maybe a spool of line for sale, the best is still the one at the garage and a new one has opened as you come into town.
-
Reefs Raggie tackle is not what it used to be they have a hook and a sinker and maybe a spool of line for sale, the best is still the one at the garage and a new one has opened as you come into town.
:corrct: thanks!
-
:tkx: Guys
-
Thanks guys, as LGF said I'm brand new to UA. Any advise on what dropshot lures to use color, size and so on, bit new to the drop shot thing as well.
-
Fishing den and Dolphin supermarket are the best spots for tackle and advice.
-
For your dropshot colours I'd go with the more natural options the water at Vidal is crystal clean this time of year as the rivers are closed up
-
Thanks Cam Mundy,
Will this be including chartreuse, I also see there is a paddle tail that's got on top like a dark blue and belly white. As I said I'm bit new to the dropshot thing. I'm from Nelspruit and more into bass and tiger fishing, natural colours to me is like gold, copper, green and so on.
-
Camo worm is your go to dropshot lure. Take 2 pkts at least.
Chartreuse pepper neon minnows , sardine minnows, and any shrimp patterns.
Goldfish minnows from mcarthy. Paddletails (Gold/cream/white) for night fishing.
-
Hi Reefs!
Thanks for this!!!!
I'm using a Daiwa Exceler, 3.04meter, cast wt 30 to 95g rod. With a DAiwa Capricorn 4500J, the braid on it I can't remember but think its a 50Lb line. I do have an extra spool for it, was thinking of loading this with a 20 or 30 Lb braid, what will you suggest? What size on the minnows? 5"? What weight on the jig heads? I have 1/2 and 2oz, was thinking of getting 3/4 and 1 oz
-
its important to fish early morning and late afternoon with the water as clean as it is, was there last weekend and there was a dead pilot whale that was up in the corner of the bay
-
Thanks Rory,
Ok what's your early morning? As mine is 3. Late afternoon, just before sun set?
-
no 3am is sleeping time i would start a hour before sunrise and fish up to a hour after sunset (then switch over to baits) get your self a few bucktail jigs and the new small roosta popper should be good too
-
Hi Reefs!
Thanks for this!!!!
I'm using a Daiwa Exceler, 3.04meter, cast wt 30 to 95g rod. With a DAiwa Capricorn 4500J, the braid on it I can't remember but think its a 50Lb line. I do have an extra spool for it, was thinking of loading this with a 20 or 30 Lb braid, what will you suggest? What size on the minnows? 5"? What weight on the jig heads? I have 1/2 and 2oz, was thinking of getting 3/4 and 1 oz
Sjoe Braam, your outfit is not really dropshot at all... more like medium spinning setup. Dropshot, we fish 6-8ft rods, 2500 - 3000 reels, 8-12lb braid, 1/8-1/2oz jigheads - so it's ultralight tackle!
But you can always have a bash with your setup! Won't be much fun cranking in small fish on 50lb braid though. With dropshot lures, you need to go as light and as small as possible.
If I was you, I'd use your setup and change your plan of attack to spinning, popping and plugging.
Get some spoons, some Bucktail jigs, some Chisel nose GT plugs and a few small poppers and give that a bash instead.
-
Reefs,
Thanks for this, I do have a light bass spinning set up that I will take with for the dropshot,
Rory,
Thanks for the advise on the time. Me and my 5 year old boy are counting the days off. Still a month and a half before we going but the excitement is running high
-
I agree with Reefs, you cant go wrong with camo worm, deadly bait. I would get some nice shiny spoons too.
-
The Bass outfit will work great for dropshot. :corrct:
-
Last question,
Got a list from Vidal of the camp sites that's still available, 45, 47, 49 see they are all close to the gate house. 13 and 14 also open. Any suggestions? Gonna be 4 adults and 2 small kids, 3 and 5 year old. Looks like 45 to 49 not to far to walk to ablution and to the bay.
-
How much are the camp sites if I may ask Braam? :dunno:
-
It is R420 for power site for the first 4 people. Max 6 per camp site
-
Gavin, the camo worms you talking about, I saw some about 40mm and real thin, then there is also some that is about 6 inch. will you say the longer ones? and how do you rig them up? gonna be my first reel go at dropshot, will apriciate all advise
-
R420 is not bad, have you got the nomber please Braam. we are booked from the 28th till the 5th at Sugar loaf in St Lucia so It mite be an Idea to camp at Cape Vidal for 2 days before we go to Sugar Loaf. I use I very light set up, 6ft Berkley Cherry Wood with an Exage 2500 reel and very thin Nano so you can get your little Camo Worm out there into the holes. I use the Berkley Gulp 2" Sand worm they call it and a very small lead head so the worm can still drift around in the current. You just have to give it some small twitches and the waves will do the rest of the work, slow retrieve. Great fun and you will get Wave Garrick, Snapper, Blacktail, Rock Cod and I have even got a little kingy on it before.
-
Gavin, the camo worms you talking about, I saw some about 40mm and real thin, then there is also some that is about 6 inch. will you say the longer ones? and how do you rig them up? gonna be my first reel go at dropshot, will apriciate all advise
Braam the long Camo worms end up having the tails bitten off non-stop... cut them into 2 - about 1cm of worm should protrude from the end of the hook curve. Longer than that, the fish always miss the hook!
-
That is a true story thanks reefs.
-
Gavin you can call on 0338451000, KZN Wildlife.
Are you going 28Aug till Sep or 28Sep till Oct?
Thanks for the the tip on the worms!
Reefs thanks to you also
-
Thanks Braam. No sorry I did'nt put what date i'm going :nuts: . Wer leaving in December to Jan.
-
Thanks Braam. No sorry I did'nt put what date i'm going :nuts: . Wer leaving in December to Jan.
you will be very lucky to get a camp site now over those dates
-
Hi Braam nice to see another visvanger from Nelspruit we should get together some time. I am in Kaapsehoop.
-
Hi Willie, send me your no so I can give you a call
-
Braam 0747351034
-
Last question,
Got a list from Vidal of the camp sites that's still available, 45, 47, 49 see they are all close to the gate house. 13 and 14 also open. Any suggestions? Gonna be 4 adults and 2 small kids, 3 and 5 year old. Looks like 45 to 49 not to far to walk to ablution and to the bay.
Howzit Braam , are you camping with tents or a caravan? At campsites 13 & 14 its really difficult to park a caravan , but its fine for tents( just not the biggest sites). 45 & 47 is great( 45 has good shade) . 49 is nice and big but very little shade... My choice would be 45,47 and then 49 ...in that order.
-
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/webkit-fake-url://89FE0C4B-D5A9-430C-85BC-62E165CD2CFB/imagegif) Werries, also had 45 in mind, we will be in tents, some one also said 13 is a nice site. But what's the walking distance to the beach from 13 and from 45?
-
Gavin, the camo worms you talking about, I saw some about 40mm and real thin, then there is also some that is about 6 inch. will you say the longer ones? and how do you rig them up? gonna be my first reel go at dropshot, will apriciate all advise
Braam the long Camo worms end up having the tails bitten off non-stop... cut them into 2 - about 1cm of worm should protrude from the end of the hook curve. Longer than that, the fish always miss the hook!
I cut the long ones into three - more cost effective than buying the short ones
-
Thanks Ziggy,
Do you also make use of small lead head? Was thinking of rigging Texas stile, small sliding sinker that you peg on the line couple of inch away from the hook, using this on bass, will it work with the Camo worms or rather lead against hook
-
Thanks Ziggy,
Do you also make use of small lead head? Was thinking of rigging Texas stile, small sliding sinker that you peg on the line couple of inch away from the hook, using this on bass, will it work with the Camo worms or rather lead against hook
Sorry - I just saw this now
a small lead head is best - the smallest you can cast - the lighter the better....you want the worm to wash around in the current. Keep your line fairly tight by very slowly taking in the slack as it gets washed in - you will feel nibbles and bites that way - in fact, most takes are when your worm is "on the move" - too much slack and you wont notice a bite
-
Is there a special fishing permit you need for Cape Vidal/ St Lucia guys? :dunno: And are you allowed to keep a sized fish or 2 in Vidal?
-
just a fishing licence and if it make legal size then no problem and you pay to go in at the gate
-
Oh ok great thanks Rory thats fantastic. How much do you pay to get in lately?
-
think its 50 a car and 30 per person i got a rhino card so only pay R5 levi to get in
-
Thats not bad at all, were can you get a Rhino card, Ive got a Rhino horn on my bukkie does that count :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
-
through KZN wildlife go to there website and fill in the form pay the money and you get a card
-
Cool Stuff how much is the levy?
-
I'm so :happ: . On Saturday I'm off to Vidal. Packed to go do drop shot, plugging, sliding and all in between.
Just one or two last questions:
Can one do sliding close to the camp and where?
Mission rocks is it best to fish high or lo tide, day or night, and are one allowed to drive from Vidal camp to Mission rocks at night?
Bait wise I got pink prawns, Choka, Japanise Maccy, shards and Bonni
All last minute advise will be highly appreciated
-
Good luck Braam im so jealous. Give us some good feed back, wer going at the end of the year and cant wait. Tight lines :fshn: :fshn: :fshn:
-
hello, how would one approach wave Garrick and small kingies in vidal. any special technics or lures? while I was there one guy caught a nice size :gt: on dropshot. but I have had no such luck :dunno:
-
3 to 5 inch dropshot in natural coulors cast it out, let it sink a little and a fast jerky retrieve. should put you on with some kingies.
-
Thanks. Hopefully I can get some next time I there :tite