ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: carll on July 11, 2013, 09:21:53 AM

Title: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: carll on July 11, 2013, 09:21:53 AM
Good morning Guys.

Whats happening on the North Coast Spinning wise ? Here on the South Coast things are dead ! At Winkel's after 3 days of hard

Spinning only 1 Shad and a small Cobie ! My friend daughter caught the baby Cobie on the beach section with a Toby spoon. He

went down to Stiebel this morning,so let's see what happens.

Oh I must post the pic with her baby cobie .. She's so proud of her first cobie   :-)
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 11, 2013, 09:34:53 AM
Great stuff!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 11, 2013, 10:01:18 AM
 :cgrts: :win: ..Thats always something great to see!!..No matter how big or small!!..A kobbie on spoon!!!...keep at it!!!...Its great hunting kobbies on spoon!!!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Marthin on July 11, 2013, 10:03:10 AM
especially since she actually caught one.....
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 11, 2013, 10:12:16 AM
especially since she actually caught one.....
:-( Thanks Marthin!!...you REALLY know how to make an ou feel swak!!!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 11, 2013, 10:31:49 AM
 :fshn: A kwik tip , if I may...If you gonna try the sloepies on the beach again , depending on your outfit , try a slightly bigger and heavier spoon...say a 1,5 or even a 2oz....and go bottom , stop , bottom , stop.......GOOD LUCK!!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Marthin on July 11, 2013, 10:33:07 AM
V... how successful is that technique????
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 11, 2013, 10:40:32 AM
V... how successful is that technique????
:hnthnt: Look....if the kob are there , its pretty succesful...BUT...I dont gooi my spoons much over sand ...I concentrate more over the rocky gulleys and gutters...BUT...that being said ...YES/...rubbers and plastics(rappies) are gonna get you a better hit rate!!!...BUT...I choose to use metal....
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Steenie on July 14, 2013, 07:20:18 PM
Thanks Carl for posting this pic of my daughter (Andrea) first cobbie on spoon. A young boy I taught fishing this week caught a slightly bigger cobbie on the same Toby spoon at the same spot (Winkelspruit) on Thursday (clap)
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: carll on July 14, 2013, 07:34:19 PM
Hi Riekert welcome here on UA.  :fshn:
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Steenie on July 14, 2013, 09:02:35 PM
Here is a pic of the young man with his first ever fish caught at Winklespruit. A young cobbie on a Toby spoon.
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Steenie on July 14, 2013, 09:06:32 PM
The Toby spoon Andrea and the youn man got their cobbies on at Winklespruit.
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Steenie on July 14, 2013, 09:09:11 PM
My two daughters and the young man spinning at Winklespruit. No better way to teach kids fishing and casting!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 14, 2013, 09:20:16 PM
 :win: :win: ..Brilliant Steenie!!!...Hell and that water looked good there!!!!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Steenie on July 14, 2013, 09:31:37 PM
Thank you! The water has been looking great for days at Winklespruit. But hours of spinning has not delivered any shad or garrick for me!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Charles on July 14, 2013, 09:40:02 PM
 :welc: Steenie! Awesome time you had with the young ones!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 15, 2013, 09:38:56 AM
Thank you! The water has been looking great for days at Winklespruit. But hours of spinning has not delivered any shad or garrick for me!
w;k ..Forget the shad and leeries!!!...Hunt those kobbies!!!...That sloepie looks FANTASTIC out front!!!...Oh..and a tip..put single 6/0 short shanks on those toby's...easier to release the small kobbies!!!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Ziggy on July 15, 2013, 09:46:06 AM
Thank you! The water has been looking great for days at Winklespruit. But hours of spinning has not delivered any shad or garrick for me!
w;k ..Forget the shad and leeries!!!...Hunt those kobbies!!!...That sloepie looks FANTASTIC out front!!!...Oh..and a tip..put single 6/0 short shanks on those toby's...easier to release the small kobbies!!!
Agreed - trebles are trouble!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 15, 2013, 09:55:26 AM
 :-) This kobbie slukked a 8/0 short shank behind the gill plate and I pushed it gently back and up to release the barb and no probs....away he swam!!..BUT..had that been a treb...a bit more messy!!!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Steenie on July 15, 2013, 04:07:24 PM
Thanks guys - I tried a lot of slow bumping over the bottom as well, but no more cobbies around. On the trebles, I agree fully and will take your advice on the short shank 6/0 hooks. It will ensure easier release of the fish, and make it safer for the kids as well. Those trebles are dangerous weapons in the hands of kids!!! :hehe:
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Debbie on July 15, 2013, 04:29:05 PM
This is so nice to see .  (clap) (clap)
 
And you have just convinced that ....... im going to try fishing at winkle tomorrow.  Ive been battling to make up my mind on where and what to do.  They look like they are having so much fun, I want to do that too.
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: gavin erwin on July 15, 2013, 04:30:51 PM
Fantastic stuff!!! (clap)
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 15, 2013, 06:20:15 PM
Thanks guys - I tried a lot of slow bumping over the bottom as well, but no more cobbies around. On the trebles, I agree fully and will take your advice on the short shank 6/0 hooks. It will ensure easier release of the fish, and make it safer for the kids as well. Those trebles are dangerous weapons in the hands of kids!!! :hehe:
:corrct: :corrct: :rck"
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Ziggy on July 15, 2013, 06:53:20 PM
Venechi - would you debarb the hook?
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 15, 2013, 07:31:50 PM
Venechi - would you debarb the hook?
:-) ...I have de barbed quite a few of my hooks and neva dropped a fish with them...so..ja I do prefer that as the soft lips of the younger kobbies are prone to tear....Thats why i fish short shank...they bury themselves often behind the hard part of the lip AND..the spoon does not smash so easly into the kobbies mouth when shaking...hence messing up his lip...
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Ziggy on July 15, 2013, 07:34:25 PM
Venechi - would you debarb the hook?
:-) ...I have de barbed quite a few of my hooks and neva dropped a fish with them...so..ja I do prefer that as the soft lips of the younger kobbies are prone to tear....Thats why i fish short shank...they bury themselves often behind the hard part of the lip AND..the spoon does not smash so easly into the kobbies mouth when shaking...hence messing up his lip...


I must look inot the short shank - I sometimes debarb the hooks when I have caught my quota of shad becasue I know i will be releasing everything thereafter
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 15, 2013, 07:51:35 PM
Venechi - would you debarb the hook?
:-) ...I have de barbed quite a few of my hooks and neva dropped a fish with them...so..ja I do prefer that as the soft lips of the younger kobbies are prone to tear....Thats why i fish short shank...they bury themselves often behind the hard part of the lip AND..the spoon does not smash so easly into the kobbies mouth when shaking...hence messing up his lip...


I must look inot the short shank - I sometimes debarb the hooks when I have caught my quota of shad becasue I know i will be releasing everything thereafter
:hnthnt: ...Expensive...but I have these on my three top kob spoons!!!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 15, 2013, 07:56:58 PM
 :hnthnt: ..The size i use....
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 15, 2013, 07:58:29 PM
 w;k ..The Big game Owner I put on the LS spoon which is slimmer and the gorillas I use on the FatLady and brass back...
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Ziggy on July 15, 2013, 08:03:36 PM
I am going to look into these hooks - thanks for the information
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 15, 2013, 08:09:38 PM
I am going to look into these hooks - thanks for the information
:hnthnt: ..Another tip..when you get back from an outing...rinse the hook...dry and hook it into a potatoe  and then hang you spoon or lure up ...wont rust and stays super sharp!!!...SERIAS!!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Ziggy on July 15, 2013, 08:12:17 PM
I am going to look into these hooks - thanks for the information
:hnthnt: ..Another tip..when you get back from an outing...rinse the hook...dry and hook it into a potatoe  and then hang you spoon or lure up ...wont rust and stays super sharp!!!...SERIAS!!


I always rinse my lures in fresh water when I get home - but will try the potato tip - my favourite food!


You do mean that you hook it into the potato - then remove and hang up...not leave it in the potato?
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Debbie on July 15, 2013, 08:13:46 PM
I am going to look into these hooks - thanks for the information
:hnthnt: ..Another tip..when you get back from an outing...rinse the hook...dry and hook it into a potatoe  and then hang you spoon or lure up ...wont rust and stays super sharp!!!...SERIAS!!
:tkx:  great tips 
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 15, 2013, 08:20:12 PM
 :-) ..Another good hook that I use...BUT..these have also gone up in price...They had a sale at our local tackle store last year and I bought a 100 of these all 7/0,s...DAMN strong!!!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 15, 2013, 08:22:18 PM
I am going to look into these hooks - thanks for the information
:hnthnt: ..Another tip..when you get back from an outing...rinse the hook...dry and hook it into a potatoe  and then hang you spoon or lure up ...wont rust and stays super sharp!!!...SERIAS!!


I always rinse my lures in fresh water when I get home - but will try the potato tip - my favourite food!


You do mean that you hook it into the potato - then remove and hang up...not leave it in the potato?
:corrct: ..Thats it Bud...hook into the spud , take it out and then hang it up...I do that every time without fail!!!...Hooks last much longer!!!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Ziggy on July 15, 2013, 08:47:54 PM
I am going to look into these hooks - thanks for the information
:hnthnt: ..Another tip..when you get back from an outing...rinse the hook...dry and hook it into a potatoe  and then hang you spoon or lure up ...wont rust and stays super sharp!!!...SERIAS!!


I always rinse my lures in fresh water when I get home - but will try the potato tip - my favourite food!


You do mean that you hook it into the potato - then remove and hang up...not leave it in the potato?
:corrct: ..Thats it Bud...hook into the spud , take it out and then hang it up...I do that every time without fail!!!...Hooks last much longer!!!


Aaah! so I can still use the potato for my fish and chips!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 15, 2013, 09:13:49 PM
I am going to look into these hooks - thanks for the information
:hnthnt: ..Another tip..when you get back from an outing...rinse the hook...dry and hook it into a potatoe  and then hang you spoon or lure up ...wont rust and stays super sharp!!!...SERIAS!!


I always rinse my lures in fresh water when I get home - but will try the potato tip - my favourite food!


You do mean that you hook it into the potato - then remove and hang up...not leave it in the potato?
:corrct: ..Thats it Bud...hook into the spud , take it out and then hang it up...I do that every time without fail!!!...Hooks last much longer!!!


Aaah! so I can still use the potato for my fish and chips!
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :rotfl :win: :win:
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: carll on July 17, 2013, 08:21:01 AM
I am in the process of teaching "Steenie" the art of Spinning,I told him to remove those ugly trebles  :hehe: lol !

On a serious note now Steenie or Riekert  is actually a huge Steenbras and Cob angler that grew up in Struisbaai in Cape Town.

He is known as the 'Steenie King'. Riekert has also written a number of articles for angling magazines including angling books.

Here is a pic that I took when Me and Riekert were at Struisbaai,think now you can see why they called him Steenie King.
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 17, 2013, 09:22:37 AM
I am in the process of teaching "Steenie" the art of Spinning,I told him to remove those ugly trebles  :hehe: lol !

On a serious note now Steenie or Riekert  is actually a huge Steenbras and Cob angler that grew up in Struisbaai in Cape Town.

He is known as the 'Steenie King'. Riekert has also written a number of articles for angling magazines including angling books.

Here is a pic that I took when Me and Riekert were at Struisbaai,think now you can see why they called him Steenie King.
fshg :win: :win: :win: ..WOW!!!..Thats a piggie of note!!!
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Steenie on July 18, 2013, 08:08:08 PM
Thanks Carll and Venechi - White Steenbras is my fishing passion in life. I have caught numerous of them in the 14 - 17 kg range and have tagged and released many. I have been tagging them since the start of the ORI tagging programme way back in the early 80's.
Title: Re: Spinning KZN Coast.
Post by: Kent on July 18, 2013, 08:20:31 PM
Thanks Carll and Venechi - White Steenbras is my fishing passion in life. I have caught numerous of them in the 14 - 17 kg range and have tagged and released many. I have been tagging them since the start of the ORI tagging programme way back in the early 80's.
:win: :win: :uarocks
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal