ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Livebait on July 11, 2013, 09:19:19 AM

Title: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Livebait on July 11, 2013, 09:19:19 AM
So My Bday is around the corner and I thought I would treat myself to a new reel. I have a posiedon Ultra Lite that im using for throwing lures and plugs and a scratching. I'm looking for a reel loaded with braid, that would best fit the rod ,still have a fast retrieve ratio and have good drag. I was really leaning toward the Sustain 5000.  But the Daiwa Eceller Oceano 4500 recomended by a good fishing buddy seems a good option too and i was told can take more line than the sustain 5000. What about the sustain 6000 ?
Casting distance is really important so i want a reel that adresses casting., line capacity (20lbs or 30lbs braid ) and good drag. Are there any other reels beside these ?
Looking forward to you guys response, especially those that fish the Ultra lite.
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 11, 2013, 09:34:19 AM
I would say go with the sustain 5000, I dont think you need to go with a larger size reel. The drag on that thing is amazing and you can get a lot of 20lb braid onto the reel, I might be wrong but in my opinion its a better reel for what you get compared to the exceller oceano
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: REEFMAN on July 11, 2013, 09:44:28 AM
I have the Sustain 5000 and the Poseidon Ultra light HMG (11ft6) - in my opinion, the reel is too small for the rod. It fits much better on a 10ft or 9 ft rod (Exceler/Aerocast).
I use the Ultegra 5500 on my Ultra Light... it is a much bigger reel than the Sustain, has the long cast spool, which helps for distance casting. You could also look at the Daiwa Windcast, which also has a long cast spool.
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: carll on July 11, 2013, 10:12:13 AM
Hi Good morning Livebait.

I would go for the Shimano Sustain. As for the Sustain reel you cant go wrong, super choice.The drag on the Sustain is amazing

and you can get a lot of 20lb braid onto the reel. I would suggest that before you buy any of these reels is that you take the rod

in to the shop and fit the reels to the rod and get the reel with the right balance to your fishing rod.
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Half-Pint on July 11, 2013, 10:58:45 AM
The 5000 size shimanos are too small for that size rod. I would look at the 8000 sustain or one of the big pit reels
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Livebait on July 11, 2013, 11:14:01 AM
Hi Guys , thanks for the responses :) I have been thinking and yes the sustain 5000 feels a bit "small" for the rod. Maybe the sustain 6000 ? What do you guys think ? Im going into one of the shops and see how it feels in the hand.
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Half-Pint on July 11, 2013, 11:18:01 AM
As far as I know there is no 6000 size sustain. I could be wrong though :dunno:
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Zetti on July 11, 2013, 11:25:45 AM
..
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Half-Pint on July 11, 2013, 11:41:53 AM
Adolf is it available in SA? Im sure someone tried awhile ago to get one but couldnt get them here :dunno:
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Zetti on July 11, 2013, 11:46:41 AM
Adolf is it available in SA? Im sure someone tried awhile ago to get one but couldnt get them here :dunno:

Not sure but it is listed as one of the models on the Rapala SA website 

http://www.rapalasa.co.za/products/browse.php?brand=shimano&top_cat=reels&sku_parent=frontdrag (http://www.rapalasa.co.za/products/browse.php?brand=shimano&top_cat=reels&sku_parent=frontdrag)
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Livebait on July 11, 2013, 11:48:45 AM
So I got of the phone with Kings and they say the the sustain 6000 will be a bit big for the ultralite. They recomended the Oceano or the Caldia 4500. The Caldia 4500 is lighter than the oceano has has better drag system and can take 300m of 30lbs braid plus backing.  What are your thoughts ? I saw a pretty good review was done by Reefman. Kings quoted me R2400 for a Caldia 4500. On the net I can only find 4000 caldia's I cant seem to find a 4500 ?
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Charles on July 11, 2013, 11:50:10 AM
As far as I know there is no 6000 size sustain. I could be wrong though :dunno:
HP I never saw one in the stores (actually did not look for them) but they are available.
http://www.fishingstore.co.za/shimano-sustain-6000-fg-spinning-new-reel/ (http://www.fishingstore.co.za/shimano-sustain-6000-fg-spinning-new-reel/)
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Charles on July 11, 2013, 11:54:36 AM
Caldia is an awesome reel and excellent value for money I would say. Looking forward to Reefman's reply. Come boss tell us.......
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: REEFMAN on July 11, 2013, 12:20:11 PM
Adolf is it available in SA? Im sure someone tried awhile ago to get one but couldnt get them here :dunno:

Not sure but it is listed as one of the models on the Rapala SA website 

http://www.rapalasa.co.za/products/browse.php?brand=shimano&top_cat=reels&sku_parent=frontdrag (http://www.rapalasa.co.za/products/browse.php?brand=shimano&top_cat=reels&sku_parent=frontdrag)

HP is thinking about the 8000 series. Sustain doesn't come in an 8000 version.

Choosing a Spinning reel...

You need to be careful about Gear Ratio's when looking for a spinning/plugging reel.
The Sustain 6000/Stradic 6000 have 4.8:1 ratio, which is unsuitable for spinning. Good for Jigging, but not ideal for spinning - retrieve is too slow.
Caldia also has 4.8:1 Ratio
Windcast - 4.9:1

Ultegra 5.3:1....  :hnthnt: what I said in the first place.

But having said that, you can use any of these reels to spin with, you just have to reel in quicker!! More work!

The Shimano 6000 sizes will fit perfectly on the Ultra light. Even the 8000 sizes will be fine, as they are similar in size to the Ultegra 5500 size.
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: REEFMAN on July 11, 2013, 12:27:57 PM
Shimano Twinpower and Stella 8000's come in 5.8:1 ratio....  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Half-Pint on July 11, 2013, 12:40:28 PM
So I got of the phone with Kings and they say the the sustain 6000 will be a bit big for the ultralite. They recomended the Oceano or the Caldia 4500. The Caldia 4500 is lighter than the oceano has has better drag system and can take 300m of 30lbs braid plus backing.  What are your thoughts ? I saw a pretty good review was done by Reefman. Kings quoted me R2400 for a Caldia 4500. On the net I can only find 4000 caldia's I cant seem to find a 4500 ?

Just remember that Kings = Daiwa. Not to say that the Caldia isnt suitable just remember why they advise that it is the best.

To throw a further spanner in the works what about the new Penn reels? That new conflict looks veeeeery nice :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Prego on July 11, 2013, 12:55:20 PM
Yip the Penn conflict looks very nice and another option would be the Penn  Spinfisher4500 or 6500 both have fast retrieves at 6.1 and 5.6 (some where there abouts) and the highest max drag than other brands in this class and will take more than 300m of 20lb or 30lb braid.
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Kent on July 11, 2013, 01:50:33 PM
 :-) I am not a great fan of coffees...BUT...the ones I have worked on and ratios and drags aside...this damn reel is STRONG...does not skrik for saltwater and I think wont break the bank!!!...Just a thought...
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Livebait on July 11, 2013, 02:00:03 PM
Wow i guess i have lots to think about
 
@ Reefs, I hear you about the reel ratio. And I wish I had the bugdet for a Stella or twin power. If im going to spend over 2K i think i need to have a look at all these reels and its needs to have a good ratio. That rules out the Sustain 6000, the Caldia and the windcast.
 
Thats leaves
 Penn Conflict or Spinfisher 4500 or 6500
 Shimano Ultegra 5500
 Maybe the Oceano ?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Half-Pint on July 11, 2013, 02:06:10 PM
The Ultegra is a nice reel (I have the 14000) but imho one of the most difficult reels to service. Just something to keep in mind depending on how good you are at servicing reels :-)
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Prego on July 11, 2013, 02:09:25 PM
I have a Oceano and if I recall its also a slow ratio retrieve 4.8 I think.
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Livebait on July 11, 2013, 02:29:38 PM
yes its about 4.9, Out of interest why does the reel ratio drop as the reel size increase ?
And on the Ultegra, what the difference between XSA vs XSB ?
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: carll on July 11, 2013, 09:32:12 PM
Hi Livebait.

What about the Penn Battle 6000 ? My Friend have one and it's a amazing reel and he use it on his Assassin Amia 11ft spinning

rod and it have the correct gear ratio for spinning.

Here are a shot summery of the Penn Battle 6000.

Penn BTL6000 Battle Spinning Reel


Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Cage on July 12, 2013, 06:28:58 AM
Also believe the 5000 is too small on anything over 10ft. Consider the shimano aceration 6000HG - cheaper than the sustain and the Stradic... It's the JDM Saragosa.....
Title: Re: Best Reel Option for Posiedon HMG Ultra Lite
Post by: Livebait on July 12, 2013, 09:52:34 AM
Guys thanks for all the advise and shasring your knowledge. :uarocks   After much deliberation im more or less settled on the ultegra 5500. Mainly becuase its meets the following criteria,
 
Fastest retrieve ratio , from reels in that size range
Great line capacity
Long cast spool
No to find a good deal on this reel.
Thanks again.
 :tite
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal