ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Hook, line and sinker - Tackle talk => Topic started by: kingslide on June 28, 2013, 08:46:28 AM
-
I have taken the leap and put 30 lbs fireline braid on my SL30SH. Now Krissie a couple of questions:
1 Do you fish your setup with a nylon leader and if so how long is the leader
2 what is the diameter of the leader
3 on what lenth of rod is this
4 what size of sinker are you throwing?
-
Hi kingslide
Yes, 0.5mm leader; about 5m or 2 turns on the reel - braid joined to leader by doubling the braid back, 7 turn uni knot with the doubled braid and 3 turn uni knot with the leader. I did try 50lb braid as a leader but I fish the rocks a lot and it didn't work - I snagged up and lost quite a bit of braid. If you snag up with a nylon leader, it normally snaps either at the knot or terminal tackle. This is also why I use quite a long leader. Play with the length until you find what suits you.
About 13ft - I use my Poseidon Stimulator 3.5oz rod or my Assasin Surf Lite (but I am going to have the guides changed on this rod so I can use my 5500 grinder on it)
Normally a 3/4 but have cast a 5oz with the Assassin. Just keep in mind that because I don't have the upper body strength I can push the sinker weight above what is normally recommended for a rod.
Please let me know how it goes? Start by casting gently until you get the feel of it. Try and keep your thumb running across the spool as you cast, but lightly. This seems to keep the braid peeling off uniformly. Sorry, not explaining that very well, hope you understand. Also remember to keep the knot to the side of the spool ( :blush: sorry hope I'm not stating the obvious here).
-
Shot Krissi! I will give it a bash this weekend - going to be very amusing...
-
Thanks for all the advice Krissie - this set up works really nicely especially between the rocks...
-
Thanks for all the advice Krissie - this set up works really nicely especially between the rocks...
Only a pleasure - how did you find casting?
-
I cast 30lbs braid only, on a Saltist 30H, it goes forever have never had an overwind and neither ever risked snaring my "guiding thumb" in the line.
-
Thanks for all the advice Krissie - this set up works really nicely especially between the rocks...
Only a pleasure - how did you find casting?
A bit tentative in the beginning (and I am still not giving it horns) but getting nice distance... even considering selling my Brand new Ultegra 5 500...
-
Awesome! Hang onto the 5500 - it is such a lekka reel.
-
I had a few casts with Doc's Saltist 30H with 50lb braid... was amazed at how easy it is to cast, no problems!! Think he mentioned that the 50lb braid casts better than 30lb braid on a multiplier due to the thickness? It's easier to control?
-
Ja Reefs I was uming and aaaing a lot before I made this leap. After talking to Kris I decided what the hell. Fished for Gallies the whole weekend between rocks and got stuck a couple of times - only loss a sinker or hook trace. Once part of my leader. This is for me the way forward. And Fireline 30lbs is awesome.
-
Sorry to invade guys but I`ve ben fishing with a 12ft shad pro and my SL30 with braid and tell you one thing no :nobs: I moer that sinker further than what I do with my 14ft.
Tell you what I hate using my 14ft now I only fish with my 12ft and sl30 and when you get snagged the chances of getting your sinker out is much more likely than with normal mono.
Down fall no stretch there fore you must be care full when striking or bringinf a fish in use your drag as it often pulls the hook out or tears the lip of the fish.
Good going and enjoy
-
It is so awesome reading these comments. I love my little set-up. Now that I use circle hooks there is no need to strike, but I agree with Robyosh, you need to keep a looser drag than with mono to prevent the hooks pulling.
@ Reefs, how long has Doc been using braid? I don't remember him having it when we went to Pomene together? I know that Tish uses 50lb on her set-up as well.
-
I think he has only recently started to use it? :dunno:
-
If you know of any one bored with his / her Saltist 30 (not the narrow spool) give hime / her my details please...
Reefs give this a try... all I can say I love this...
-
If you know of any one bored with his / her Saltist 30 (not the narrow spool) give hime / her my details please...
Reefs give this a try... all I can say I love this...
Saltist 30 for sale?! Think you got more chance of falling pregnant! :rotfl Never seen one for sale in the classifieds... makes you think, eh?
-
If you know of any one bored with his / her Saltist 30 (not the narrow spool) give hime / her my details please...
Reefs give this a try... all I can say I love this...
Saltist 30 for sale?! Think you got more chance of falling pregnant! :rotfl Never seen one for sale in the classifieds... makes you think, eh?
Hmmmm.......
-
Homie will sell his cousin!
-
Homie will sell his cousin!
Its a lot worse !!!! :cnfzd
-
Homie will sell his cousin!
mmmm Homie can keep his cousin... just want a reel...
-
It is so awesome reading these comments. I love my little set-up. Now that I use circle hooks there is no need to strike, but I agree with Robyosh, you need to keep a looser drag than with mono to prevent the hooks pulling.
@ Reefs, how long has Doc been using braid? I don't remember him having it when we went to Pomene together? I know that Tish uses 50lb on her set-up as well.
Krissi I only recently converted to the braid and multiplier just can't get casting distance with the grinder. Went through a lot of different braids. The biggest problem I had is the braid cutting into itself and then you get backlash on the cast. I though what I used was 50lb but actually it was 30lb fireline found the spool yesterday :blush: sorry Reefs. The key is to get a relatively thick braid that does not cut into itself. The fireline is 0.38mm in thickness.
I remember somebody at nationals mentioning that they found braid of about 0.4mm in thickness worked for him on multipliers.
-
"I remember somebody at nationals mentioning that they found braid of about 0.4mm in thickness worked for him on multipliers."
Interesting , maybe one of the Off shore Blokes can help with a name of a brand of braid that is 0.4 plus
-
More comments and advice will be appreciated, i am planning on switching over to braid .
Daiwa bg20h multiplier and .40 diametre braid. Is it worth the switch over?
I fish in very rocky areas and get snagged very often.
-
would strongly recommend it... i found the JDB extreme in orange a good braid, Kingfisher orange if you can find it somewhere was awesome.
If you can afford it suffix 832.
Depending on your target species, a .70 leader twice the length of your rod. If you set up your terminal tackle correctly you should fish the same leader 2 sessions... and just replace it because it became too short from tying on new terminal tackle.
-
Thanks Marthin,
Is sufix braid more superioir in terms of abrasion resistance and strength?
I am currently using 2 and 3oz sinkers with .40 double x mono.
When switching over to braid do i have to use a heavier sinker? i prefer using a 2oz being that it lifts off the ground easier/quicker when reeling in line
Daiwa BG20H Multiplier / Shimano Exage 100M, 10ft rod. (SCRATCHING IN THE BRICKS AND CASTING OVER ROCKY LEDGES)
-
My personal opinion is with braid even a 6 ounce will lift immediately. If you combine this with circles when scratching you tend to get stuck a lot less. On a 100m cast with mono. stand with a sinker in your hand held between 2 fingers. Ask someone to strike as hard as possible and see how little it moves. Do the same with braid and see the difference.
I'd cast with a 4 ounce to start as it will pull the braid off more evenly imo. But i generally prefer a heavier sinker, some of my friends cast 3 and 2 ounce on sl20/30 with braid.
If you are going to go that light, i'd go .70 leader, .60 trace and .30 sinker line... fishing with a circle hook you should only need to replace a sinker now and then.
Some go .60 leader, .50 trace and .30 sinker line, i used to but lost 2 nice fish on the .50 trace.