ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => REEL TECH, SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE => Topic started by: Straightstick on March 27, 2013, 11:10:59 PM

Title: Trouble with my Trini
Post by: Straightstick on March 27, 2013, 11:10:59 PM
Hi guys, hopefully some one has encountered this problem and has a solution for me. I upgraded my tn30 drag washers quite a while ago and at first they were fantastic. Now it seems that for about 30degrees of the handles turn there is an increase in drag pressure. I have only fished about 5 times since the last service was done and the drag has hardly done any work since the upgrade.

I don't want to take it to the tackle shop for another service because I want to start doing my own repairs and maintainance. Is this a good idea or should I take it to the pros?

Thanks in advance.
Title: Re: Trouble with my Trini
Post by: REEFMAN on March 28, 2013, 07:11:23 AM
Sounds to me like your Anti-reverse Bearing might be upside down? Or seized.
Title: Re: Trouble with my Trini
Post by: Fritz on March 28, 2013, 07:15:49 AM
Open it up from the handle side. Before you even get to take the cover of you will find two cup washers. You might have forgotton to releas the drag when the reel was in storage and they have flattened. You can get them from the tackle shops. You get a thick one and a thin one on each side. Try getting the thick ones. This will also increase the drag.
Or els give me a call and I will explain.
Title: Re: Trouble with my Trini
Post by: Half-Pint on March 28, 2013, 07:16:53 AM
Yup sounds like an upside down anti reverse bearing. I had the same issue for awhile :hehe:
Title: Re: Trouble with my Trini
Post by: Fritz on March 28, 2013, 07:22:42 AM
If it was the anti revers washer that was upside down then it should have done this from day one. As I understand it, it started afterwards?
Title: Re: Trouble with my Trini
Post by: Straightstick on March 28, 2013, 08:55:01 AM
Thanks Frits, will give it a shot, if I don't come right ill give you a call
Title: Re: Trouble with my Trini
Post by: Allie on March 28, 2013, 03:10:46 PM
It may be that your two cup washers are facing the same direction. They must work against each other to be effective. Try it?
Title: Re: Trouble with my Trini
Post by: Straightstick on March 28, 2013, 04:05:20 PM
Thanks Allie, will have a look
Title: Re: Trouble with my Trini
Post by: REEFMAN on April 18, 2013, 09:00:16 AM
Any updates on the reel Straightstick?
Title: Re: Trouble with my Trini
Post by: Straightstick on April 18, 2013, 09:18:33 AM
Hey Reefs,
Been crazy at work with the school holidays, will give it a shot after Africa Bike Week.
Will let you know.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal