ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: 1969 on March 22, 2013, 07:09:58 AM

Title: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: 1969 on March 22, 2013, 07:09:58 AM
THEY SAY THE YARDSTICK IS A HUNDRED METRES . I AM USING A 9FT SHALOM CUSTOM ROD SUSTAIN 5000 LOADED WITH 15 POUND SUPER SLICK POWER PRO . WITH A 45 GRAM I AM THROWING ABOUT 90 METRES , IF I PUT MY BACK INTO IT POSSIBLY A 100 TO 110 METRES THIS IS UNDER FAVORABLE CONDITIONS SOME ARE CLAIMING TO THROW UPWARDS OF 150 METRES BASED ON A 45 TO 50 GRAM SPOON . NAME YOUR RIG AND HOW FAR YOU THINK KNOW YOU CAN THROW                                                             
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: REEFMAN on March 22, 2013, 07:47:14 AM
Haven't ever measured, but I guess I'm throwing about 80m with an Exceler 10ft and Sustain 5000. 20lb Sufix 832.
Think maybe I get a little further with Poseidon UltraLight 12ft, Ultegra 5500, 50lb Sufix??  :dunno:

Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: Haroldg on March 22, 2013, 11:10:09 AM
You'll definitely get better distance with a 10'+ outfit. I use a 10' Aerocast, Sustain 5000 with 20lb Jigman braid. I could throw a 45g bullet spoon over 100m with this outfit. Tested this out on a football ground.
This time size does matter....
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: Big B on March 22, 2013, 11:20:05 AM
I'm no expert, but I think that your rod should be 10' + and also the lure you cast should be a descent wait and very aerodynamic, like a bullet spoon.
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: Nightfox on March 23, 2013, 06:40:03 PM
9ft aerocast 4000 sahara with a 50g spoon and 20pd viros braid gets 110m measured
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: Calligeros on July 03, 2013, 12:53:46 PM
I never measured, but i have a 10' 30XH Aerocast with the new Sustain 5000FG loaded with Sufix 832 30lb braid and 48g bullet spoon, and i personally dont cast very well and far normally, but with this setup i was casting a mile. When the spoon hit that water my jaw would drop as to how far i was casting. I was estimating approx 100m+.
Awesome setup! Smooth as a whistle and nice and light to drop shot all day without breaking a sweat!
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: adam on July 03, 2013, 03:19:06 PM
250m at least. 

With any rig!
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: boepsie on July 03, 2013, 08:21:35 PM
250m at least. 

With any rig!


Ek sien jy kan amper so ver soos ek gooi nou  . lmimmi
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: Ziggy on July 03, 2013, 08:28:03 PM
250m at least. 

With any rig!


Really?????
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: dodger on July 03, 2013, 08:50:42 PM
250m at least. 

With any rig!


Really?????


which direction ??????????
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: Lofty on July 03, 2013, 09:05:49 PM
250m at least. 

With any rig!


Really?????


which direction ??????????
upwards with a kite.... :hehe: :creep: :dunno:
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: 1969 on July 03, 2013, 09:12:28 PM
Adam you must be a a real man ?
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: pieta on July 03, 2013, 09:24:01 PM
With your spinning rig you need to get on the back bank. That is far enoth. Some guys claim to cast a mile. Would like to see it.
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: carll on July 04, 2013, 12:37:20 AM
Yes I agree with. With my Loomis & Franklin 9Ft, Shimano Exage 4000 with 10lbs Braid and Iron Candy bullet spoon I cast +-

80 meters,depends on the wind conditions. But normal conditions about 80 meters and I measured the distance on a Rugby

Field.I have a 13ft custom build Spinning Rod that cast a mile and a half but thats a different rod and its longer. 
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: adam on July 04, 2013, 08:19:13 AM
250m at least. 

With any rig!


Really?????


which direction ??????????
upwards with a kite.... :hehe: :creep: :dunno:


haha, have never measured,  but guessing around 60-70m on a good day with a 9ft.
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: Lenny on July 04, 2013, 09:11:39 AM
250m at least. 

With any rig!




 :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: 
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: Lenny on July 04, 2013, 09:20:48 AM
I get more distance with my 9 ft rod and same reel as my 10 ft , then of the boat my 6,6 trevella cast a Garfish spinner the small one a mile , I would guess about the same distance as the 9 ft rods , but on the 6'6 the spinner is much heavier , than on the 9 ft sticks .
Reels o choice , SHIMANO , Stradics , Sustians , Gosa. 4000 to 6000 models .
I think getting anything from 60 to 80 meters are more than enough ...


Braid , rivers , 10 to 15 lbs braid ,boat 20 to 50lbs FIreline .
Then agian  , my situation are much diffrent to most guys , the guys that met me in person would know why ...[size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: Lucky Hook on July 04, 2013, 10:03:39 AM
I always find it interesting when guys discuss the distance a lure can be cast. In my humble opinion the conditions and terrain greatly impact on how far the lure travels. Winter months in KZN are great as we have offshore winds in the mornings which greatly improves distance. Afternoons are often trying with a cross shore or onshore wind blowing.
 
Regarding the terrain, I find if casing from rocks with a drop off behind (or off an elevated point) distance is greatly improved as the drop to the lure can be much longer. Casting off a steeply sloping beach or with structure behind reduces cast distance.
Obviously the equipment and line used impact on the distance and again in my humble opinion the line is the biggest factor in this regard. To date the best line I have used is Berkley Nanofil (know there are lots of complaints regarding knots etc) but in my opinion (been fishing it since it was launched) it cannot be beaten for casting smoothness and thin diameter. Its abrasion resistance is awesome although the line is often damaged and not so smooth to cast with after a large fish has run line through the rocks but at least you are normally able to land these fish.
 
 
 
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: Lenny on July 05, 2013, 09:27:18 AM
Welcome Lucky hook .


I think its safe to say when we speak about distance , we all know the other factors terrian , wind ect .


In Cape town , The wind can bring any kind of shore fishing to a halt because of the wind , doesnt matter if you have the 'best ' Somedays the wind Wind ,wins .!


What kinda of rods ,reels and KNOTs do you use with the Nanofill ? Give us a bit more info please ? 
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: Lucky Hook on July 05, 2013, 10:58:58 AM
Have fished (and still have) most popular spinning rods, Daiwa Exceler, Kingfisher Posiedon HMG ultra light, Shimano Aerocast. For the last year or so have been using a Shimano Lesath Shore Game rod coupled with a Shimano Sustain 5000fe and more recently the new Shimano Stradic 5000fj. The rod's action is great and I find allows for a smoother cast which is kinder to your back when casting for a couple of hours at a time.
Reels are spooled with 12lb (old rating) and 25lb (new rating) Nanofil with with 40lb gator braid used as backing to ensure reel spools are filled to absolute full capacity. I use a casting leader of 40lb gator Braid that I join to the nanofil using a modified cats paw ensuring that the nanofil on reel spool is wrapped around gator braid. The bimimis for the cats paw are tied with a minimum of 40 turns and max about 45. I then use a 1,5m fluorocarbon leader of about 18kg's to a small power swivel and can then easily change lures using split rings.
 
Mainly fish Chase S-Bend spoons (Garrick, shad and also natal snoek that like to hammer this spoon at first light whilst it is sinking)  and Iron Candy Couta Casting spoons which are great for distance casting for Snoek and also Garrick when retrieved slowly.
Regarding distance I believe most guys that I fish with throw a Chase S-Bend about 70 meters in ideal conditions and the Iron Candy Couta Casting Spoons well over 100 meters.
 
 
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: Lenny on July 05, 2013, 11:40:07 AM
Shot for the reply , We had a thread a while ago ago the Lesath  , think Johnf , also has one .


You guys spinning up in KZN , has a whole other approach , even the lures like the spoons , you use . Your spinning is much 'faster ' as you have more Gamefish , Kingies , big Leeries ,Snoek ...


In Cpt Spinning is minimal , as we dont have those species , we only have the leeries around for a short while , in Falsbay , same with the Elf , The Southern cape is the area to spin , No alot in the Surf , but mainly in the Rivers ...
Theres a hand full of Diehards Spinning for Yellowtail of Rooikrans . We just take a boat out , and spin till your arms fall off , KAtonkel , bonnies , Longies ,Yellowtial , Cape Snoek .
Further down Robberg in Plett , Should have BUS leeries , I recall a a Thread earlier this year of some big one landed by a member ...


Spinning for Kob , with spoons is much slower , than the KZN crowd .


Thanks for sharing !
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: John F on July 05, 2013, 11:46:38 AM
Shot for the reply , We had a thread a while ago ago the Lesath  , think Johnf , also has one .

Heh?!?! Come again?!

You confusing me with somebody else Lenny... definitely not me.
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: Lenny on July 05, 2013, 09:54:41 PM
Shot for the reply , We had a thread a while ago ago the Lesath  , think Johnf , also has one .

Heh?!?! Come again?!

You confusing me with somebody else Lenny... definitely not me.


Sorry mate , it might have been Fritz or some one ?
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: Lenny on July 05, 2013, 09:56:47 PM
that why I said , I THINK johnf has one ....
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: 1969 on July 06, 2013, 08:35:37 AM
So what is the general census , what distance are we throwing on average and  are we letting the rod manufactors down by not throwing their claimed distances
Title: Re: LETS TALK DISTANCE
Post by: Ziggy on July 06, 2013, 10:46:27 AM
Shimano Aerocast 30X and Sustain 5000 - I get average 80m...and when all is in my favour, I can get 90m...once hit 100m when wind was in my favour
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal