ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

OFFSHORE ANGLING => Offshore Fishing Reports => Topic started by: Seventenths on March 09, 2013, 11:29:57 AM

Title: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on March 09, 2013, 11:29:57 AM
So Guys, my next big Trip for 2013  is planed, booked and paid, ASCENSION Island 7 56"898' S and 14  22"609' W. Reports from mates had me really excited to visit with reports of 200kg YFT and 1000lbs Blue Marlin and much much more mouth watering stories  I had bumped it up my bucket list. The seal on the deal was when a mate (Steve from  Fibrelab) told me the guy running operations there was a good mate of his - Colin.  We got our Team together, farmers Piet and Miles, boat maker Steve and his mate Karl and myself - Sorted, next step....

(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/ascension_zpsc4eddd41.jpg)
   
Photo credit: Ascension Administrator (http://www.ascension-island.gov.ac)

  We found out the best time of year(May) and booked it then and ther paid the deposits late last year but that was not the end of organising... the deposit was just for the boat and accommodation! Getting there is another storey; there are only two routes  - sea - RMS ST Helena and military air transport. Both posed problems.
 
  The ship has a 12 day transit time each way with stop over’s in ST Helena on  the way there and back, thus 24 days of travel - No way I could do this as  inviting as 24 days of chilling would be I could not afford the time and neither could the other guys. Second option - fly with military charter (They would not let us charter a private aircraft to the military base!) 
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/ai_zpse3206d28.gif)
   
Map Image  Credit : by Jean-Pierre Langer (http://www.mc-monaco.com/geovoyages/).

This poses a whole new set of challenges, the flights are from Brize Norton in  the UK and they only confirm them 2 months before the trip if you on and it is not cheap! But we are on (not to say they won't bump us off as military personnel get  preference). Then permits, visitors permits are necessary for all visitors -  we applied for us all and done, the Ascension government are really very organised  and VERY good.
 
We then were advised by Colin to get sards, ha easier said than done!!! We had  to buy 500kg of frozen sards in CT and arrange to ship them to ASCENSION on the RMS ST Helena;  in a brain wave we decided to ship some of our kit too so we don’t have to fly with 5 tons of equipment. This was another whole logistical operation on it's  own - I just hope it's all there when we arrive.
 
  Now we could book our flights to the UK and we are ready to go, Steve and Karl  will go ahead on the 8 May and we will follow on the 12th May for 10 days of  one of the best and most isolated locations in the world. We plan to fish,  spearfish and film some awesome creatures of the deep and UA members will be  the first to see if I can help it.
 
  I have been informed there is good Internet available there and have specially  got myself a Canon 5D complete with Ikelite Underwater housing with 2 Gopros  for the trip. I have tested them all and only time will tell if you will get to  share in some of the excitement.... I will post here a test of the video on the 5D as soon as I can get it downloaded...

 <: swr
 
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Shaun17 on March 09, 2013, 11:39:38 AM
Geez boet, that little report has me chomping at the bit!!!! Really hoping the effort pays off BIG time!!!!  :sreel:
 :envy
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: CASTSA on March 09, 2013, 09:43:22 PM
Hi Bud, I know Colin well............I have also been looking at this one very carefully

Catching Ambers off the beach really does excite me!!
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on March 10, 2013, 09:40:33 AM
Hi Bud, I know Colin well............I have also been looking at this one very carefully

Catching Ambers off the beach really does excite me!!

I am really going to have a problem there as I Love spinning,poping,jigging,filming/shooting and spearing and will have limited time... what to do will be a big conumdrum..... but if I get some good pics, video and a great story, I will be happy.

I may have to go back later in the year if it turns out to be as good as people say.

7/10
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Abaddon on March 10, 2013, 11:24:43 AM
This will prove to be an EPIC trip. Really looking forward to the results. Hope you get stretched big time.

Would seriously give my "pair" to make a trip out there!
Fell in love with the place when seeing Robson Green taking us there in his series Ends Of The Earth.

Here a link to the ep.

oie8eihkjdb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFcIqUNThYA#)

 :shk - THAT SIX GILL !!!!
 :hyst: - The wardrobe failure
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: FishStyx on March 10, 2013, 12:16:57 PM
Sounds pretty awesome, even if a logistical nightmare. Watching this space closely.
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Happy Dog on March 10, 2013, 05:41:05 PM
 :envy  what a brilliant trip you have planned. Look forward to the updates
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Prego on March 11, 2013, 09:22:55 AM
Droooooooooool  :envy , sounds epic 7/10's wish  :tite and calm seas

Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: lebaka on March 11, 2013, 09:30:46 AM
ok my levels of jealousy just hit a all time high 7 enjoy every second of it
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on March 21, 2013, 11:45:40 AM
Short update....

We have packed our kit and had it crated and ready to go with RMS ST Helena on Voyage 189.

500kg of frozen bait sards,
Dive gear,
Fishing rods and reels,
Tackle and lures,
Spearguns and float systems
and lots of general paraphenalia....

Chatted to Colin Today, (some of you know him) and he said

"Nice to hear from you again we have been having some great fishing and   diving here over the last 3 months and its getting better each day, had a   900lb Blue 2 days ago it died so i brought it in"

900lbs!!!!! I will ask him for pics!!

53 days 10 hours and 45mins.... not that I am counting.

7/10
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 26, 2013, 07:39:38 AM
Part 2


Karl and Steve went on ahead and have already been making me regret not  have gone with them with reports of massive rockcod and sending a few  pics….grrrr


(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture1_zps0ea0473b.jpg)
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture2_zps3776b149.jpg)

Photos – Karl and Steve.
Well the day has arrived, on Thursday 9 May, I flew to London the on to  my Gran for a 105th birthday party. On Sunday morning I packed and  repacked all my camera kit and checked a re checked. Feels like going on a  military operation, check it twice then check again. The last thing you want is a failure or piece of vital kit missing when you need it. Tonight the flight from Brize Norton Airforce base in Oxfordshire, to the middle of the Atlantic, hope I can get some sleep! We arrive a 6 in the morning and I intend to get the  most out of the day.

Photo – card from the queen – 105th
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture3_zpsc6e5f577.jpg)
 
Photo - Packing up and ready to go all  there according to my checklist – hope I put everything on the checklist!

(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture4_zps6334bdce.jpg)

Photo - More fishing gear, TA… despite having sent my fishing and  spearing kit with the RMS st Helena… I had to pick up a few more bits I did not  need….but definitely wanted!

Photo - The English countryside around Creslow –  killing time
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture6_zps00246abd.jpg)
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture7_zpsafd2ead4.jpg)
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture8_zps5bf9909c.jpg)
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture9_zps39fb5200.jpg)


Day 1 to follow
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 26, 2013, 10:54:15 AM
Thank Shaun... day 1

Day 1
Arrived later than expected, packed out all our stuff from that had  arrived on the RMS st Helena and kitted up for a quick mid day shore dive, we  went down to PanAm Bay (near the US air force base) and despite a large ground  swell jumped in for a shore dive and swam along the rocks. I was stunned at the  amount of black triggers and little else.
After scratching around in the shallows I bagged a few rock cod of which  I got the most amazing footage on my go pro as the Black trigger swamp and  attack the wounded rockcod like piranhas

Video – Triggers - Having a prob with this.... will try add later.

Image rockcod

(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture10_zpsb2f2c456.jpg)

After a short modelling shoot at the PanAm restaurant we went to have  some rest and tend to our kit.


PanAm photo

(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture11_zps2f408754.jpg) 

We had an tuna steak for supper at the local hotel

In the evening Colin got back with the marlin boat with 5 large tuna and  some ruffia and other fish, I decided to have a go at the black jacks around  the pier for some fun…. Got 1 on the fly and 2 on the spinning rod and was  great fun… they were sent off to live another day… I will be back there!!


Black Jack Photo


(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture12_zps18a5788f.jpg)   

After a few in the pub we hit the sack…..

Days info:
Wind  moderate north
Viz 40-60m
Air temp  32deg
Water Temp  Max 27deg min 27 deg
Swell 7ft  13s
Dives 37
Max depth  13,8m


... Day 2 to follow
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 26, 2013, 11:02:36 AM
Day 2

Boat dive for the Whoooooo’s, things seem to start late here with a 9 am  launch. I was a bit frustrated but after the slow start we went to a deep area  on the west of the island and chummed and dive like mad…nothing. 37 dives and  nada. The skipper Craig wanted us to move to the shallows just before lunch so  with no better suggestions we did.

First drop from the boat…. Wahoo and a big one. I could not get my gun  loaded fast enough but it was too late! The fish moved off and Piet plugged it  in the tail only to lose it. We did several drifts on the same line of 60m to  over 100m. I bagged two whoo’s but neither as large as the first one we saw. I  lost another and Miles got a nice YFT of about 50kg….


Miles with Tuna

(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture13_zps881465bc.jpg)

Tony with 2 Wahoo

(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture14_zpsfcb578dd.jpg)

(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture15_zps97140956.jpg)

Piet eventually pinned a nice YFT of over a 100kg but the gun line broke  at the notch!! Disappointed Piet climbed in the boat to find another spear.  Whilst under the water I heard a shot go off and turned around to see Piet’s  fish with 2 spears in it. I was close enough for me to drill it again but I  decided that with three spears in it, it would now be a hedgehog so left it  only for Miles’ spear to pull out. Miles told me later he shot it whilst eating  the chum with Piet’s spear still right through it!

We headed home to clean up and had an awesome diner of grilled Wahoo  cutlets on butternut with a hot island sauce, at the hotel… Arnie the chef was  starting to become our best friend!

The rods had the day off….. but not for long.
Days info:
Wind moderate  north
Viz 60m plus
Air temp  36deg
Water Temp  Max 27deg min 27 deg
Swell 8ft  14s
Dives 46
Max depth  19,8m

Day 3 to follow....
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Shaun17 on May 26, 2013, 11:29:59 AM
The stuff dreams are made of... AWESOME!!! Love the pic with the  :ult:  shirt!!!  :rck"
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 26, 2013, 11:55:03 AM
Day 3
After another slow start this time due to kit maintenance we are off to  bird Island on the wild side of Ascension, after a 2 hour boat ride in rough  seas I am doubting the wisdom of this call but we are pleasantly surprised when  we get there. The shelter offered but the island is calm with huge drop offs  into deep crystal clear water with the customary huge shoals of black  triggers.

After an hour of  photographing the scenery and multitude of fish, I jump in with my gun and drop  a large YFT. I saw several others after that but it was not to be. At the end  of the day out came my fly rod, which rewarded me with 3 black Jacks and 3 nice  sangoras (tropical yellow tail) in quick succession of which one become our  supper. Arnold the chef, again out did himself with mixed veg and Cajun style  sauce on the grilled fish with a bit of pesto and chips on the side… I am going  to have to take a pic of tomorrows offerings.

Bird Island

(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture16_zpsab3aca7c.jpg)


Black jack in the water

(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A2916_zpsb5b8493c.jpg)   
Fly on Sangora

(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture17_zps4190d568.jpg)   

(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture18_zpsd367f378.jpg)

Fly on Black Jack

(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture19_zps5b86992f.jpg)   

Piet bagged a nice horse eyed king fish on the spear which was also on  the menu with the Sangora.

Pic of Piet with Kingy

(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture20_zpse39c214e.jpg)   

The Last sangora we opened up for supper had 5 turtles in his stomach.

Sangora with Turtles inside.

(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture21_zpsd07089a8.jpg)   

Days info:
Wind Fresh  north
Viz 60m plus
Air temp  35deg
Water Temp  Max 27deg min 27 deg
Swell 8ft  12s with wind chop
Dives 68
Max depth 28,5m
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 26, 2013, 12:31:08 PM
Sorry day 4 will have to wait till I get back to work sitting on plane waiting for take off back to WORK!
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: BETTYS on May 26, 2013, 02:15:55 PM
 :envy
Tony,thanks for sharing sorry you could not hook one of the Marlins but it seemed you had great fun diving.
 :clfoto: :udman:
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: CLS on May 26, 2013, 05:52:09 PM
 :envy now that's a  place one needs to visit.
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 26, 2013, 09:35:48 PM
  :hnthnt:  :the best is yet to come!!
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Shaun17 on May 26, 2013, 10:18:25 PM
  :hnthnt:  :the best is yet to come!!
You've added a trip to Ascension as a UA Raffle Prize???   :hehe:
 
We're waiting  (bat
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 26, 2013, 10:25:18 PM
  :hnthnt:  :the best is yet to come!!
You've added a trip to Ascension as a UA Raffle Prize???   :hehe:
 
We're waiting  (bat

Hahaha... I wish! I would have to guide it.... My wife has banned trips for the next 3 generations in our family, my poor kids!
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Toppie on May 26, 2013, 11:33:22 PM
Fishing paradise seventenths. You clearly had a ball - I'm jealous. Think part of the allure is the absolutely wild fishing frontier, sure those fish will take bare hooks too.
 
Perhaps a new exciting direction to look!
 
Appreciate your trouble.
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: SUPER ADMIN on May 27, 2013, 08:41:38 AM
Great report so far!  :clfoto:
Took some time to sort the formatting of your posts out...  :bow:
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: MZeee on May 27, 2013, 08:47:25 AM
Great report so far!  :clfoto:
Took some time to sort the formatting of your posts out...  :bow:


 :tkx: :tkx: 
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 27, 2013, 12:43:29 PM
Great report so far!  :clfoto:
Took some time to sort the formatting of your posts out...  :bow:

Thank you super,
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Charles on May 27, 2013, 12:58:09 PM
 :envy :clfoto: Great report 7/10! Will be nominated!
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: SAfish on May 27, 2013, 02:19:17 PM
Wow, awesome trip, I can't wait to see the rest!  :envy
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 28, 2013, 10:23:50 AM
Day 4

Well today was about Ultimate Angling so I decided to forgo the day of spearing, my sore back offering an excuse. I helped Colin  launch the duck… grabbed the tender and went out on my own. Check the videos, then I was off  to catch some fish on the moorings and off the pipe line. It was incredible…  check the footage of the Black jacks and Dorado….. I was less than 500m from the  jetty at all times.

I missed out on seeing manta rays on the dive but that  is the way it goes.

Black jack. (22
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture22_zps22bb574a.jpg)
Dorado on skitter pop - red/white(with the help of a sard!)  (23)
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A3237_zps51de1a19.jpg)
Dorado contents of stomach – Gar fish and  Turtles (24
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture24_zps1da081c8.jpg)
Offloading fish Ascension style
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture26_zpse227331e.jpg)

After catching 7 Black jacks, 5 Sangora, plenty of triggers and 1 Dorado,  I felt I had really achieved a lot in less then 2 hours. With all but one of these released (dorado for supper!), I lost one 150g Goana - Green (Ocean lures) and a spinner, cut off on mooring chains, I was still very happy.

Piet, Miles, Steve and Karl got back with a nice wahoo over 20kg and several nice sized sangora’s  after seeing several YFT and wahoo.

We ended the day with diner at the Governors house on  green hill, the perfect host with sashimi, Cockburns for closing out and view unmatched  anywhere in the world! And it is with tired eyes and a sense of achievement  that I close out with today’s summary despite no dives logged.

Days info:
Wind  moderate north
Viz  60m plus
Air  temp 34deg
Water  Temp Max 27deg min 27 deg
Swell  3ft 10s
Dives  0
Max  depth 0m
 
Day 5 and video posts are downloading.....
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 28, 2013, 10:42:25 AM
Day 5

Today I wanted a big fish with plenty of time in the water and that was what was on the cards, we moved to the deep in two boats. Steve, Colin and Karl in one rubber duck and Craig, Piet, Miles and myself on the hard boat. We  then tried the shallows and back to the deep but I saw nothing! Rainbow  runners, flying fish and the obligatory triggerfish but nothing worthy of my  speargun!

Miles got himself a nice wahoo from our boat but  Steve, Colin and Karl on the duck were the boys to beat with a YFT and three nice wahoo and a massive Rainbow runner to boot.
 
Pics of the guys with fish at end of day 5.  (25)

(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/Picture25_zpsa89ac72d.jpg)

 
We moved into the shallows and shot some rockcod for  lunch on Sunday, a meal which will be prepared for us by the islanders, they  wanted some Moray eels to boot but I could not bring myself to shoot one, despite  the vast numbers of them. I left that for the braver and less environmentally  conscious to do.

I was really pleased with my diving, got one dive of  over 4 mins and several in the 3min range with a total bottom time of 02h49…  average was a bit low at 1min 23s but that was due to the afternoon session  chasing the rockcods in 8m of water.

D4i days log
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/IMG_1599_zps2a28fd1e.jpg)

Days info:
Wind  Light going to moderate north
Viz  60m plus
Air  temp 34deg
Water  Temp Max 27deg min 27 deg
Swell  2ft 10s
Max  depth 19,6m/1’20
Longest  dive 13,0m/4’15
Number  of dives 202
Total  time underwater 02h49
Videos STILL downloading!!!
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 28, 2013, 12:32:08 PM
Day 6

A long day of spearing produced a 55kg YFT and a nice wahoo, we planned to cut the day short and have a bit of rest but we got  distracted by the fish. I missed a sitter on a 120kg plus tuna and still feeling like a total idiot. In the afternoon we had drink with some of the  locals (including the governor again) who’s propensity for alcohol is only  superceded by their love of eating fish!

The day was rounded off with an evening walk  on the beach, which involved helping turtles escape the maws of crabs, frigate  birds and fish… I tossed a few into the ocean only to have the mauled by the awaiting hoards of fish! I decided I would be back in the morning with my rod!
 

Our Custom made carbon guns from Steve Ellis (Fibre Lab), designed and built especially for this trip
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A3869_zps686b74c8.jpg)

Rainbow runner
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A2986_zpse00c2802.jpg)

Diving in the blue
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A2451_zps5e543d1b.jpg)

Horse Eye Jacks
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A2523_zps48260f01.jpg)

 
Days info:
Wind  moderate north
Viz  60m plus
Air  temp 35deg
Water  Temp Max 27deg min 27 deg
Swell  3ft 12s
Dives  76
Max  depth 21,9m
Total  time underwater 01h19
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Gerhard on May 28, 2013, 12:56:51 PM
AWESOME!!!!
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 28, 2013, 01:57:41 PM
Day 6
 
Pic of 55kg YFT....Bling shirts RULE!
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A3367_1_zpsd40318d4.jpg)
 
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 28, 2013, 02:03:59 PM
Day 7

After last nights beach turtle feast I was on the  beach at 5 with my fly rod but much to my frustration, only a few triggers. I  was spoilt to the site of a large green turtle returning to the sea after  having laid her eggs – I snapped a few pics and a video. I went off to breakfast rather glum but after a late start (after downloading and backing up my  pics) of the early morning things improved, my first cast from the tender on the way to the dive boat produced a Sangora and so did my second.

Green Turtle on Beach
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A3409_zpse95e42c7.jpg)
 
We went to the shallow banks in front of Georgetown and I again decided it time to check out the fishing for the guys on Ultimate Angling and wow, almost every cast produced a fish. You eventually get annoyed with the Black Jacks and tired of catching them, my popper looked like it had  been in a war after only a few fish. I could not keep this up for long and soon was back in the water after the Whooos….
I did not shoot another one on the spear (Miles bagged one for supper of about 20kg) but I did get some footage and see my first snappers but noting was bagged. I am now tired but feel I have  accomplished a lot in the day. Will I survive another day? We have supper with the Saints (locals from Saint Helena) who will be cooking us the Tuna, Rockcod and Moray eels we got on day 5 and then I plan to have an early night.

Georgetown - St Mary's Church at dawn
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A3418_zpse5e5d746.jpg)
 
Days info:
Wind  moderate to fresh north
Viz  60m plus
Air  temp 34deg
Water  Temp Max 27deg min 27 deg
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 29, 2013, 07:20:50 AM
Day 8

Today we did plenty of spearing (well time in the water at least!), the YFT were scarce as were the Wahoo, in fact did not see a wahoo for the  rest of the trip. Piet bagged a small Dorado and we had some incredible drifts into the deep but the day was a blank at lunch time.

We eventually had one YFT that came up the chum line  and Piet bagged it weighing in at just under 60kg.
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A3647_zps23a84c89.jpg)

We called it a day and went for a  quick shallow drift over the wreck on the Normandy that sank in 1902, I got  some awesome pictures and even better video footage of the wreck and it’s  inhabitants. The wreck was an interesting legal case as the skipper grounded  the vessel when it sprang a leak. The decision of the skipper was made to save  the crew however the owner charge him with wilful damage and sabotage ( I was  told this storey by the islanders and have not yet check the veracity of it!) - I have subsequently checked up on it and the ship sank in 1900 not 1902 and was a 2056t Barque, the storey of the captain I cannot verify as yet.

Wreck of the Normandy (Circa 1900)
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A3787_zps90a8c139.jpg)
 
Inhabitants of the wreck - there are plenty of them!!
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A3699_zpsc2505b50.jpg)
 

We headed in early as we planned to do some night  fishing and wanted to get freshened up and sorted out.
At 18h00 we headed for the 100m tuna buoy (known  locally and tuna.com)… we had slow start with no tuna coming to the party but  Craig decided to drop a line and catch some Bulleyes (Like an orange ruffia),  I saw and I quickly followed suit… it was hard work as you kept getting  hundreds of Sangoras in between them. I eventually managed to land a few.

Bulls eye - a really handsome fish with massive eyes.
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/image_zpsaf9374b4.jpg)

 At 22h30 we headed back and crashed for the night with no stops on the way…

Days info:
Wind  light north to moderate later in the day
Viz  60m plus
Air  temp 37deg
Water  Temp Max 27deg min 27 deg
Swell  5t 10s
Dives  62
Max  depth 24,0m
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 29, 2013, 07:43:25 AM
Day 1 - Video of Rockcod spearing - I hope this works!
 http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/Rockcod1_zpsba59b24e.mp4.html (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/Rockcod1_zpsba59b24e.mp4.html)
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: SAfish on May 29, 2013, 10:20:10 AM
 Awesome footage. The abundance of fish is mind boggling!  :win:
 :+ cred: for sharing this wonderful experience!
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 29, 2013, 10:59:08 AM
Day 4  - Video

Dorado on popper (with sardine) - 6,5kg on Shimano Exage 8' with Stella 18k with 50lbs Braid and 80lbs leader.
http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/Dorado-iPhone_zps3fd521aa.mp4.html (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/Dorado-iPhone_zps3fd521aa.mp4.html)
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Gerhard on May 30, 2013, 09:12:12 AM
you pulled the  :dor:  like crazy...


looks like a LM Bass coming into the boat...  :hehe:
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 30, 2013, 12:51:49 PM
you pulled the  :dor:  like crazy...


looks like a LM Bass coming into the boat...  :hehe:

 :blush:
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 30, 2013, 02:56:56 PM
Day 9 (Final Day)

This is our last day on the Island and we had to pack up and catch out flights back to UK.
 
When, I got up this morning I had NO intention of diving  or fishing as I was tired and needed to pack all my kit which takes forever thanks to all the camera gear. Miles complained till I joined in for the morning – we will be back by 11h00 was the promise as we needed to check in for our flight at 19h00… when we got to the jetty at 08h30 I was already regretting my decision as we were to cram 6 up on one boat! But as we were just debating who goes where Colin materialised as if by magic and we departed in two boats for the deep - the same split as the day before...

We had one very long drift with not much action for over and hour, then I saw a YFT on the chum line camera in hand but switched, off as it swam right up to me….grrrr…Camera went back into the boat and out came the speargun. I had one eye on my watch checking the time constantly. Then with a few mins to go Miles bagged his 3rd YFT for the trip… `I  watched him dive on it and place a good shot. The fish put up a big fight and at the same time we heard Karl had plugged into another one right near us on the other boat.
 
Miles fish fought on and eventually after it had 3 spears in it, I tried to dispatch it with a knife. It went nuts and jumped clean out the water only just missing the boat. I launched over 1 meter into  the sky then wrapped up Miles in his float line before I could turn off it’s motor. I shows just how easy things can go wrong, if it had dived whilst miles was wrapped up it would have been a disaster.
 
We started to clear up and were getting ready to leave  when I saw a shoal of rainbow runners come up on the chum. I dived down to have  a look and saw something way below. I pressed on to about 30m to have a Dorado swim past frantically gulping down chum. I cashed in for my diner only to find  he was way bigger than the few kg’s I thought he was. The pics tell the tale, estimated at 18kgs

Dorado on boat.....
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A4167_zpseb3c37c9.jpg)
 
We were lines up and headed over to the other boat, Karl had been on the YFT for and hour and a half… I jumped in a took some pics  in the water here are a few choice ones. She weighed in at 112,8kg.

Karl's YFT under boat
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A4008_zps857b5aba.jpg)
 
Karl and his fish of a lifetime....248lbs (112kgs)
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A4180_zps61dc8002.jpg)
 
 
Group shot with (L to R)....Tony (7/10), Karl, Colin (almost hiding), Miles, Craig, Piet and kneeling Steve the Mamba king!!
(http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/tonydoult/TH8A4201_zpsd68c8710.jpg)
 
I am glad I got up to go!

Days info:

Wind  Light north
Viz  60m plus
Air  temp 38deg
Water  Temp Max 27deg min 27 deg
Swell  7ft 13s
Dives  58
Max  depth 30,9m
 
Homeward bound as I write this in my diary, 6 flights to go and back to work to pay for the next venture… after an awesome trip, My thanks go to Colin, Craig and Sara on Ascension and to Piet, Miles, Steve and Karl for making up a great team and an unforgettable trip.

These notes are from my personal diary, written daily and any errors, omissions, typos etc etc are all my own and unintentional and I hope you enjoyed reading about it as much I enjoyed being there.
 
 :FST:
 
 
More Videos to follow.. please bear with me, my internet downloads at a speed of continental drift!!!
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: tkei on May 30, 2013, 03:13:00 PM
I cant believe you didn have a go at the blue marlin around there. some beautiful fish shot. great report and pics.
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 30, 2013, 03:27:04 PM
I cant believe you didn have a go at the blue marlin around there. some beautiful fish shot. great report and pics.

We were in the area and hoped to see some but NADA, I would have like to have got a nice pic but kinda happy to know they still roaming free and not hanging from a gantry.
 
 w;k
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Gerhard on May 30, 2013, 03:47:56 PM
Thats an awesome  :dor:


What a brilliant trip and trip report.


 :envy   :envy   :envy
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: BETTYS on May 30, 2013, 06:50:13 PM
 :win:
 :envy
Now you can relax and have some  :beer: :frid
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 30, 2013, 07:20:32 PM
:win:
 :envy
Now you can relax and have some  :beer: :frid

Thanks Braham... will be up for one or two when back in CT around Aug.... maybe we can patch up.
 
Take care
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Happy Dog on May 30, 2013, 08:08:53 PM
 :envy :envy :clfoto:  And  :+ cred: awesome report.
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Umpa Lumpa on May 30, 2013, 10:14:23 PM
Nice report 7/10s


Spotted a face in your report in the group photo that i have not seen in 17yrs "Craig Hall" also good to know he and Colin are both from my hometown.
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 31, 2013, 08:53:51 AM
Nice report 7/10s


Spotted a face in your report in the group photo that i have not seen in 17yrs "Craig Hall" also good to know he and Colin are both from my hometown.

Jip... he is well and working for Colin - Warner beach raises it's ugly head! He was our chum master and worked like a dog for the 9 days we were there and never stopped trying and nothing was too onerous for him...
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Umpa Lumpa on May 31, 2013, 09:23:10 AM
Exellent, i always wandered where in the worldhe was, strange how they pop up eventually, LOL Warners yep :craz: but they both brilliant spearos.
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Tommo on May 31, 2013, 11:03:39 AM
WOW! What an amazing adventure, and a priviledge to experience waters like that! Really good report too, I thoroughly enjoyed it, thank you!
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 31, 2013, 11:09:09 AM
 :FST:
Some clips of rainbow runners and the pack of Jacks that followed me with camera, gun and rod... no matter what they were around! This video I took whilst swimming back to the boat and simply pointing the camera back between my legs....

Rainbow runner:
http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/TH8A3619-iPhone_zpsd7d65993.mp4.html (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/TH8A3619-iPhone_zpsd7d65993.mp4.html)
 
Jacks:
http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/TH8A3622-iPhone_zpsfd81d0bb.mp4.html (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/TH8A3622-iPhone_zpsfd81d0bb.mp4.html)
 
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 31, 2013, 11:51:01 AM
This is one of my favourite clips of Colin coming up and a shoal of Horse eye Jacks coming to have a look and Steve diving down and taking a shot at a rainbow runner (and missing!).... The footage in HD is just breathtaking...
 
http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/Jackfreediving-iPhone_zpsb23e9376.mp4.html (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/Jackfreediving-iPhone_zpsb23e9376.mp4.html)
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: BETTYS on May 31, 2013, 03:47:27 PM
 :envy :clfoto: :win: :tkx:  for sharing this amazing trip you had with us.
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 31, 2013, 05:17:39 PM
Day 4 - Videos of catching Black Jacks and Sangoras on Poppers
 
http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/Sangoraonpopper1-desktop_zpsbd5c4f77.mp4.html (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/Sangoraonpopper1-desktop_zpsbd5c4f77.mp4.html)
http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/BlackJackonPopper-desktop_zps4fcc9b68.mp4.html (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/BlackJackonPopper-desktop_zps4fcc9b68.mp4.html)
At the end of the last clip you can see the dorado passing under the boat...... :dor:
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on May 31, 2013, 05:28:19 PM
Day 7 - Video of large Great Barracuda
 
We don't eat them so don't shoot them, but great to see, I estimate this one well over 30kg.
 
http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/GreatBarracuda-desktop_zps831ef2ae.mp4.html (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tonydoult/media/GreatBarracuda-desktop_zps831ef2ae.mp4.html)
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: krissi on June 01, 2013, 12:37:50 PM
Awesome report Tony  :tkx:
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on June 01, 2013, 02:11:13 PM
Tommo, Krissi and Braham, thank you, it always great to hear some positive feedback and great to share a bit... I will try post a bit more video next week.
 
7/10
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: super_daav on June 05, 2013, 02:44:19 PM
WOW this is an insane report!! Absolutely blown away by the photos, videos and fish!! Super envious but thanks for an epic effort in compiling this report Tony!
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Prego on June 05, 2013, 02:58:07 PM
7/10's quite an adventure you guys took on, glad you guys managed that 1 sizaa YFT you were after. You being both an angler and spearo must be quite difficult deciding what to do the next day out.

 :+ cred: for the effort in putting the report together.
Title: Re: ASCENSION - 2013
Post by: Seventenths on June 06, 2013, 06:40:59 AM
7/10's quite an adventure you guys took on, glad you guys managed that 1 sizaa YFT you were after. You being both an angler and spearo must be quite difficult deciding what to do the next day out.

 :+ cred: for the effort in putting the report together.

Sometimes it is but I love both so does not bother me too much which I get in as long as the fish are there.... what really interest me is the size the Sangoras get there ... biggest so far 67kg! there is a picture of it in the local hotel and I am sure that a YFT could come out there over 150kg. I will be back!!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal