ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Fly tying => Topic started by: schloshd1 on August 15, 2010, 08:28:01 PM

Title: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: schloshd1 on August 15, 2010, 08:28:01 PM
Well, it's getting warmer and it's almost time to start doing the shuffle in the rapids again. I've tying to stock up my boxes before the season starts and I thought I'd post some of the flies here. They are nothing fancy but they've worked well for me in the past. Enjoy and feel free to post pics of what works for you.

Andrew
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: schloshd1 on August 15, 2010, 08:29:59 PM
A few more . . .
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: schloshd1 on August 15, 2010, 08:32:05 PM
and more . . .
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: schloshd1 on August 15, 2010, 08:34:24 PM
and more . . .
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: schloshd1 on August 15, 2010, 08:36:23 PM
and finally . . .
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: jaenswart on August 15, 2010, 08:42:16 PM
a great selection indeed. Was on my farm last weekend, still no smy. Sure they will arrive in 2 or 3 weeks time, then the fun begins
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Searaider on August 15, 2010, 08:48:34 PM
Awesome selection  :thmsup"
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: schloshd1 on August 16, 2010, 06:13:07 AM
Thanks guys. These flies in a few different sizes/weights and colours pretty much covers all my SM yellow nymphing. Jaen, where abouts is your farm, on what river?
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Rory on August 16, 2010, 12:03:36 PM
Well, it's getting warmer and it's almost time to start doing the shuffle in the rapids again. I've tying to stock up my boxes before the season starts and I thought I'd post some of the flies here. They are nothing fancy but they've worked well for me in the past. Enjoy and feel free to post pics of what works for you.

Andrew


Nice flies Andrew! (wipes drool off screen) Nothing fancy my :cens!! Those are beauts man, can i place an order? I'm thinking that perhaps we should organise a little tying session again? :beer: :craz:
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Homie on August 16, 2010, 12:27:33 PM
How about a little "information session" as well ???
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: schloshd1 on August 16, 2010, 12:29:56 PM
Thanks Rory. A tying session sounds like a great idea although I will need to make another trip to Drayman's first . . .  :beer: :beer: :beer:
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: schloshd1 on August 16, 2010, 12:32:04 PM
How about a little "information session" as well ???

Open beer, sip, swallow, repeat.  w;k
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Homie on August 16, 2010, 12:38:01 PM
Open beer, sip, swallow, repeat.  w;k


LOL, too late, got my Phd in that ! w;k
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Poenskop on August 16, 2010, 12:52:34 PM
Awesome looking flies there Andrew. I vote for a tying session :beer: :beer: :happ:
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Rory on August 16, 2010, 02:02:25 PM
How about a little "information session" as well ???

What info you want Homes?  :pot:

..... A tying session sounds like a great idea although I will need to make another trip to Drayman's first . . .  :beer: :beer: :beer:
..... I vote for a tying session :beer: :beer: :happ:...

Okay let me get some dates sorted and we'll make a plan.  w;k My Vaal flies are at an all time low as well. :vio
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Homie on August 16, 2010, 02:22:26 PM
What info ??? Flyfishing 101 !
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Rory on August 16, 2010, 02:30:47 PM
What info ??? Flyfishing 101 !

Aaaah OK. From the end of the month we should be hitting the Vaal regularly, you keen to come along? fshng2
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Homie on August 16, 2010, 02:32:58 PM
For sure !

Just need a rod and reel to practise with !
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Rory on August 16, 2010, 02:37:14 PM
No worries, I've got a spare for you to use, besides there isn't much casting involved, lots of close in fishing. w;k
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: WalkersKiller on August 16, 2010, 05:09:54 PM
Those are some awesome flies!!!
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: schloshd1 on August 17, 2010, 06:19:48 AM
Those are some awesome flies!!!


Thanks man.

I still want to tie up some more CDC nymphs, copper johns and caddis pupae (Rory, you know wich one).
Will post some more pics later in the week.
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Homie on August 17, 2010, 08:55:45 AM
Great ! Thanks Rory !
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Rory on August 18, 2010, 08:04:13 AM
Homes, keep the 5th September open! w;k
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Homie on August 18, 2010, 09:00:25 AM
Eish..... I hope to !
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: icstuff on August 18, 2010, 09:16:11 AM
Homes, keep the 5th September open! w;k

May I tag along as well?
will try to lube you with beer or a nice ale to get all the info out of you
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Rory on August 18, 2010, 10:00:40 AM
Eish..... I hope to !

Schweet.

May I tag along as well?
will try to lube you with beer or a nice ale to get all the info out of you

No problemo, I'll keep you posted! w;k
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: icstuff on August 18, 2010, 10:06:24 AM
 :tkx: :win:
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: catlow12 on January 08, 2011, 10:06:14 AM
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum and need some advise on what to use to tie a mayfly tail and where to buy the stuff?
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: John F on January 08, 2011, 10:11:11 AM
Hi cat
 :welc:

I'm sure someone here will help you!
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: schloshd1 on January 10, 2011, 06:17:25 AM
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum and need some advise on what to use to tie a mayfly tail and where to buy the stuff?

Hi, there are various materials that you can use for tails. You can use hackle, squirrel tail hairs, squirrel guard hairs, guard hairs from a hairs mask, coq de leon, micro fibbetts, paint brush bristles etc . . . You can get them at Mias, Solly's or any of the specialist fly fishing stores. If you are new to fly tying I suggest you get a book on it, Tom Sutcliff's "Elements of Fly Tying" is very good and is available from most Mias or fly fishing stores. You can also check out flytalk.co.za , use the search function on the forum, there is plenty of very good info there.

Hope that helps.

Andrew
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 12, 2011, 10:26:02 PM
There is also Pheasant Tail, Peacock Herl, Synthetic fibres, your wifes make up brush, the dogs tail hairs, Jackal gaurd hairs, et al. Andrew's tip re Flytalk is a good one. There are literally 100's of pages on flytying with SBS's.  :sml:
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: shagnrelease on January 13, 2011, 07:58:08 AM
Homes, keep the 5th September open! w;k
Thats my birthday, where we going and are there strippers??
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Rory on January 13, 2011, 08:25:55 AM
Thats my birthday, where we going and are there strippers??

I'll drive, you bring the credit card! :pot: :craz:
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Rory on January 13, 2011, 08:29:04 AM
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum and need some advise on what to use to tie a mayfly tail and where to buy the stuff?

Hi Catlow
Are you tying a dryfly mayfly or a wetfly?
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: shagnrelease on January 13, 2011, 08:30:59 AM
I'll drive, you bring the credit card! :pot: :craz:

No ways, the last time I tried to swipe my card I got slapped and kicked out.....
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Rory on January 13, 2011, 08:33:12 AM
No ways, the last time I tried to swipe my card I got slapped and kicked out.....

 :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Monster on January 14, 2011, 10:55:16 AM
Eish, atleast you didn't have coins.
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: briansflyfishing on June 02, 2013, 12:34:47 PM
Glad I've found this thread as an opportunity to fish for Yellows one of the days.
It will be exciting as it is a new species for me with it's own do's and don'ts.


I believe it is a wonderful fish to stalk and catch and hopefully will hook and land a few.


Brian
Title: Re: Smallmouth Yellowfish Flies
Post by: Herman Jooste on June 02, 2013, 01:13:59 PM
Glad I've found this thread as an opportunity to fish for Yellows one of the days.
It will be exciting as it is a new species for me with it's own do's and don'ts.


I believe it is a wonderful fish to stalk and catch and hopefully will hook and land a few.

Brian, it's the best quarry you can get. However with the water at 12 deg ( measured this morning ) the fishing is more than difficult. Different tactics and different flies.
 
If you like getting very frustrated, then join me, I am on the Vaal nearly every weekend.

Brian
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal