ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Dropshot fishing => Topic started by: Capt. Hook on December 06, 2012, 06:44:23 PM
-
Got my hands on one of these to test. The thing is HUGE. Must say also very well made.
I think these will work awesome offshore, have a few ideas for rigging, gonna have me some fun.
-
To give an idea of the size
-
going to use a drop shot wieght? if you are what would you put with them. Have the bottom two and put a 4 once on :dunno:
-
going to use a drop shot wieght? if you are what would you put with them. Have the bottom two and put a 4 once on :dunno:
Casting them weightless is my first option, then I want to try troll it with a circle hook.
I think for adding weight the separate head with a nice 8/0 hook will work. Weight will depend if spinning or if jigging
-
Rigged for trolling and weightless casting
-
Looking good Mike! Who makes the lures?
-
Looks like Stuarts stuff ?
When I saw him last year he did mention a 10 and possibly a 12 as well
-
Take that back....
I see its made to order only
-
Monster Drop Shot Flukes (Proudly Handmade in South Africa)
Cell: +27 (0) 79 620 9375 Fax: +27 (0) 86 605 1503
P O Box 122, Fauna Park, 0787, South Africa
monsterflukes@gmail.com (monsterflukes@gmail.com) http://monsterdropshot.blogspot.com/ (http://monsterdropshot.blogspot.com/)
-
Nice Mike now I must cut the barb of and re-rig the lure....... Pros like you make life very very hard :hnthnt: . awesome idea would never think of it :+ cred:
-
Isi,
With that jig head you have to have the hook come out the top...
Else it's gonna swim upside down
-
Thats how the guy at the tackel shop rig it..... see that why I'm here need help if the guy at the beloved tackel shop can't get it right who do you turn to...UA
-
I will test my sample over the weekend and report back. I think it will be a winner.
Need to get some more to try alternative rigging. With the obove rigging I did, one can simply add an egg sinker in front.
-
Thats how the guy at the tackel shop rig it..... see that why I'm here need help if the guy at the beloved tackel shop can't get it right who do you turn to...UA
Sheesh !
Unbelievable.
-
Thats how the guy at the tackel shop rig it..... see that why I'm here need help if the guy at the beloved tackel shop can't get it right who do you turn to...UA
No ways, thats really not aceptable.
-
What you targeting Mike? Casting these babies into a nice shoal of YFT must be great fun...
-
What you targeting Mike? Casting these babies into a nice shoal of YFT must be great fun...
Yes that would be great, but I am going to troll this one as rigged with no weight. I think it will be deadly for :dor: :yft: :sailf: :wahoo:
-
Or like this?
-
Hi Mike, I've also got some of those oversized lures (they look like they can take batteries :hehe: ). I want to try them at St Lucia at the end of December, so I'm keen to see how they work for you. Whether you trowl with them or use them on a drop shot rig. I think the results will be very interesting.
I'll be waiting with BAITED breath for the results.
Tight lines......... :dor: :wahoo: :yft:
-
Or like this?
That will also work.
They will also work rigged with Kona's like a charm.
I already know from using the smaller ones that they are more deadly without the bling as is and no weight. Am sure these monsters are gonna produce. w;k Actually I already know
-
Trolling speed Mike? Very slow? Otherwise they may take off?
-
interesting.
I have done similar thing with the 7" rip tide softs.
You need to ensure you have a hook right at the back, but without influencing the tail action.
I used very light 7strand with small trailing stinger hook.
This exercise can get expensive. My experience, 5 plastics = 1 fish.
-
You can also try using an assist hook. Not many jig heads around that are big enough and even less that have good hooks and none that are reasonably priced. What we did for a guy who fished them in madagascar was to chop the hook shank off leaving you with just a jighead and something to slide into the bait. Then attach your assists to the eye of the jig head with a split ring. It worked well for deep dropshotting but I doubt it would be any use for trolling
-
You can also try using an assist hook. Not many jig heads around that are big enough and even less that have good hooks and none that are reasonably priced. What we did for a guy who fished them in madagascar was to chop the hook shank off leaving you with just a jighead and something to slide into the bait. Then attach your assists to the eye of the jig head with a split ring. It worked well for deep dropshotting but I doubt it would be any use for trolling
Ya that's the way Mark de la Hey used to fish them. Many of the bigger Jigs have poor hooks on them, so cut the hook off just leaving the piece that you can slide the plastic onto. Use a decent hook for the Assist.
-
interesting.
I have done similar thing with the 7" rip tide softs.
You need to ensure you have a hook right at the back, but without influencing the tail action.
I used very light 7strand with small trailing stinger hook.
This exercise can get expensive. My experience, 5 plastics = 1 fish.
Been there done that, this is what shad do to to a 5" Berkley, went through a packet in 10mins and only landed 3 fish!!
-
We got graciously given a whole batch of the 10 and 12" lures from stuart at Mcarthy baits, I have used them on the shotgun behind a small bird, with the lead hook just through the top of the Lure and as Hp mentioned an assist hook through the eye of the lead hook, then I pushed the assist down and out through the chin area and then secured it near the tail, this kept the assist cord neat along the belly of the bait. The only thing I recall catching was a yellowfin.
The alternate is to use the the cheapest lead heads you can find and cut the hooks of, and secure the plastic along the holder on the head and have the assist attached in the normal manner this will pull it faster.
they work fantastic as teasers for sailfish and dorado and we have a few daisy chains rigged up with them.
-
Or like this?
What do you call this rig? Kamikaze Sushi?
I like it :hnthnt:
-
I think Pakula make a kona with a plastic??
-
Rigged for trolling and weightless casting
Mike can I put a 2 ounce sinker just before the rig( sinker as in the tuna rig) so that it slides? Thanks to you and Homie went to the tackle shop and complained they changed both lures free of charge. So went home with the new lures and came up with this
-
Rigged for trolling and weightless casting
Mike can I put a 2 ounce sinker just before the rig( sinker as in the tuna rig) so that it slides? Thanks to you and Homie went to the tackle shop and complained they changed both lures free of charge. So went home with the new lures and came up with this
Thats good Mike, I did something similar, just have the sinker fixed right in front of the head, rigging the same way I have shown, but addidng the sinker before I make the front loop and pull it all back to sit snug.
I used a ss welding rod with my original, but its a bit stiff I think, anyway will test it out tomorrow. I have ordered 3 packs so will be able to do other things also and maybe next time use ss cable instead, just need to figure out how to fit a pin in to keep the hook upright
-
I trolled mine rigged as above behind a bird all day on my left rigger. No hits. Looked like it swam well, but its broken now.
Have a much better idea for rigging.
-
I trolled mine rigged as above behind a bird all day on my left rigger. No hits. Looked like it swam well, but its broken now.
Have a much better idea for rigging.
My bad, after a good inspection, the lure was hit and hit very hard, the wire was buckled and that is what tore the lure apart, also teeth marks where the lure broke.
Definately must be rigged felixible and not stiff.
-
spin on the lead in front.....it works in the pool and it's life like. Cast this mould and finished it for with a file and sand paper
-
final lure.... think it would work best trolling
-
final lure.... think it would work best trolling
looking good.....lets just hope there is no couta around :-)
-
I think Thommo's Tiggerfish lure would work as well out at sea
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=9986.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=9986.0)
-
I think Thommo's Tiggerfish lure would work as well out at sea
We talking big lures Doger those lures of Thommo are a third of the size.... may work for bait fish. I used a no 8 VMC hook and the hook looks tiny in the lure. Will see going to test in the sea soon. The lip (lead) I made is for trolling at a constant depth of 1m not jigging or poping. If my calculation and testing is correct should have some takes at sea.
-
Looks good, will post my head when I get a chance.
-
This sounds interesting Mike. I like the idea of trolling soft plastics! I wonder if one could generate enough speed on ski to create a bite on them?
-
This sounds interesting Mike. I like the idea of trolling soft plastics! I wonder if one could generate enough speed on ski to create a bite on them?
No, but on a ski those big paddle tails work well
-
Eish sorry for the confusion but you saying the big plastics would work well on ski or ski boat?
-
Eish sorry for the confusion but you saying the big plastics would work well on ski or ski boat?
Yes to both, just with slower speeds on a ski a paddle tail would be more effective
-
I think Thommo's Tiggerfish lure would work as well out at sea
We talking big lures Doger those lures of Thommo are a third of the size.... may work for bait fish. I used a no 8 VMC hook and the hook looks tiny in the lure. Will see going to test in the sea soon. The lip (lead) I made is for trolling at a constant depth of 1m not jigging or poping. If my calculation and testing is correct should have some takes at sea.
I still don't see why the braided wire hook connected to the loop on the jig head wouldn't work, using a longer braided wire would leave the lure more freedom of movement, just my thoughts but will have to try it is a nice idea (clap)
Mikes rig with the stainless steel wire is a stiff rig and looks good, just suggesting a non stiff rig, although I would change the connection to the jig head away from a couple of half hitches, maybe a loop and crimp arrangement. You could almost use a traditional Couta trace withthe trebles and a lipclip
-
I still don't see why the braided wire hook connected to the loop on the jig head wouldn't work, using a longer braided wire would leave the lure more freedom of movement, just my thoughts but will have to try it is a nice idea (clap)
Mikes rig with the stainless steel wire is a stiff rig and looks good, just suggesting a non stiff rig, although I would change the connection to the jig head away from a couple of half hitches, maybe a loop and crimp arrangement. You could almost use a traditional Couta trace withthe trebles and a lipclip
Dodger cast the head with s/s braid (0.6mm)in it so as to give flex in lure... measured how far the hook comes out and used a crimp to secure it and as you would with a drop shot head just loop the hook in the front to the back of the lure. Still in the trial stage but your input is much appreciated thanks
-
I still don't see why the braided wire hook connected to the loop on the jig head wouldn't work, using a longer braided wire would leave the lure more freedom of movement, just my thoughts but will have to try it is a nice idea (clap)
Mikes rig with the stainless steel wire is a stiff rig and looks good, just suggesting a non stiff rig, although I would change the connection to the jig head away from a couple of half hitches, maybe a loop and crimp arrangement. You could almost use a traditional Couta trace withthe trebles and a lipclip
Dodger cast the head with s/s braid (0.6mm)in it so as to give flex in lure... measured how far the hook comes out and used a crimp to secure it and as you would with a drop shot head just loop the hook in the front to the back of the lure. Still in the trial stage but your input is much appreciated thanks
Thanks Mike, post some pics when you can