ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Topic started by: icstuff on October 25, 2012, 12:03:57 PM

Title: Fly fishing guide for the vaal:
Post by: icstuff on October 25, 2012, 12:03:57 PM
Fly fishing guide to the vaal:

I was always afraid to go fly fishing because of the following excuses:
I did not know how to cast, equipment is expensive and that you could only target trout on fly and you can only get them only at special places in South Africa.

What changed my perspective on all of the above was that I got a deal that I could not refuse – I bought a fly reel, rod, line and flies for R50. Now I had the equipment and could not let it go to waste. I then saw on the forum that a bunch of the guys target yellow fish, but still my excuse was I can’t cast until I was told about shot line nymphing.

After my first outing I was hooked although I never hooked a fish, and it took me quite some time before I hooked a fish. With time I added more equipment and it never cost me an arm or a leg, but it is saving me arms and legs.

So I have endeavored to write a guide to help prospective fishermen/woman. I am by no means an expert and this is not a complete guide but it will help you with your first steps into the water. This guide is also written to cover tactics for yellow fish on the Vaal river.

What will you need?

You will need a rod, reel, line and flies. Those are your basic items without which it would be impossible. You will also need a wading stick, wading boots/shoes, net, vest/guide pack, polarized sunglasses, a nice hat and a wading suit.

Rod:

You will need 5 wt rod, some would suggest lighter but if you hook into a monster (and they do exist) you want some backbone to fight it with. You don’t need the most expensive rod on the market. Buy the best quality you can afford, even though you can use a reed with string attached to it, it a dream to cast a good rod.
 
When I started out I was using a 7/8 weight cheapy rod that I used for almost 2 years until I started casting dry flies. It worked well for me and I caught more fish on it than I can count but I will only use it again for “special” occasions. I have upgraded my rod and on my first outing I noticed the difference.

Reel:

You want a reel that will match your rod (5wt reel to a 5wt rod). You also want a reel that has a decent drag system. You will need the drag when you fight big fish
ET has written a very good guide to reels and I will not copy him.
Once again get the best you can afford.
Here is the link: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=10222.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=10222.0) and some eye candy  http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=9768.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=9768.0)

Line:

A floating line to match you rod, and you will need backing you can get a braided backing or use braid, braid is just more expensive.

Flies:

This is the business end of your setup. You will need weighted flies to get them to the bottom or you could use split shot. You can buy flies or make your own – as long as it catches the fish.
Control flies (Usually the weighted fly) like rockworms and caddis imitations will be good, and smaller caddis and mayflies for the point. Always pick up some rocks to see what is crawling around. And for dry flies use foam beetles, elkhair caddis… (not a complete list)
some flies: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=1297.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=1297.0)
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=1428.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=1428.0)
and goggas 101 http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=1693.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=1693.0)


Wading boots/shoes:

Wading in the river you will find that the rocks are slippery, and that you can’t always see them. Felt soled boots will keep you from slipping and protect your ankles. You can use old takkies but I really recommend proper boots. So many people have fallen and hurt themselves because of wrong footwear.
 
Wading stick:

This is to help you from falling over, finding rocks and drop-offs and checking the depth of the water. You can buy one or you can make yourself one. I use a broom stick and so do many others. You could also use something longer if you want.
How to make your own: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=4090.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=4090.0)

Net:


You need a net to land your fish without damaging it, use a knotless net as we want to return the fish to the water without damaging it. I have found that a net connected you your back with a magnet works best. Remember to have a lanyard tether to your net or you will lose it.

Sunglasses:

Polarized so that you can see the fish and get rid of the glare. You also don’t want a hook in your eye.

Hat:

To protect you from the sun and flies flying past your ears and neck.

And most important: Good friend to enjoy/share the outing with.

How to fish:

Rory has written a wonderful tutorial on nymphing: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=7326.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=7326.0) and http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=510.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=510.0)

wadding the vaal:

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=7996.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=7996.0)
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=8428.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=8428.0)

check the flows before you go on:
http://www.dwaf.gov.za/hydrology/RTMain.aspx (http://www.dwaf.gov.za/hydrology/RTMain.aspx) (Goosbay for the venues below)
and http://www.reservoir.co.za/flow.htm (http://www.reservoir.co.za/flow.htm)

Where to fish?

On the vaal river there are many spots you can fish and I will list the sport I have fished in order of wading difficulty(Easy to Insane):

Silver Strome
Vischgat
Eendekuil
Eastco
Italians(Fish paradise – right below the Vall Dam wall) – I had my very first fall here
Strydom’s – Worst bruised shin
Geelvis Paradys  - Had my worst fall here
(Please add your venues and rate them as well)

And if you have any advice and comments please add them.

Title: Re: Fly fishing guide for the vaal:
Post by: REEFMAN on October 25, 2012, 01:33:11 PM
 (clap) Pieter! Nice one!  :+ cred:
Title: Re: Fly fishing guide for the vaal:
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 25, 2012, 01:40:14 PM
Awesome post  :wtr:
Title: Re: Fly fishing guide for the vaal:
Post by: Rory on October 25, 2012, 01:43:25 PM
Super post Pieter  (clap) Have some cred!  :+ cred:
Title: Re: Fly fishing guide for the vaal:
Post by: icstuff on October 25, 2012, 02:10:48 PM
This is what you do when you cant fish - teach  :crzy
Title: Re: Fly fishing guide for the vaal:
Post by: Lichia amia on October 25, 2012, 02:15:07 PM
A rather pleasant read Heer Pietertjie . The water quality has definitely improved in your hood. Wha ha ha ha ha ha

Brilliant stuff have some cred old chap
Title: Re: Fly fishing guide for the vaal:
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 25, 2012, 07:47:16 PM
Great post Pieter. I like the links to the other posts.  :+ cred: 
Title: Re: Fly fishing guide for the vaal:
Post by: Kumz on October 25, 2012, 08:01:40 PM
 (clap) :win: :udman: .... Now for me to make some time and fish with you... :clwn
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal