ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
OFFSHORE ANGLING => Offshore Fishing Reports => Topic started by: CAPTAIN MORGAN on August 13, 2012, 10:56:55 AM
-
Hi Everyone
I was down in Richardsbay on Saturday an having to do some stuff in the morning me and my son met up with Stephan and Franco after ten that morning (me being late!). We decided to do a trip to one of my spots and upon arriving there, we trolled for :yft: for about 15 minutes, after which we were VAS! on all five rods and ended up putting four on the deck, not long afterwards Pieter, Stephan`s son in law landed another one. We then did some vertical jigging and also got into some nice :yft: but the :shrk: finished us even tough we used Stella 10 000`s with 80lb braid, we decided to head back at about 13h30 with a very succesfull late morning fishing blitz, with nice guys (and a lady) on a very nice boat. NB While cleaning the fish at the club I saw about six boats that came in with no fish altough they were out since very early that morning!
Cheers
Juan
-
Nice! Always good to be into fish when no-one else is! (clap)
-
we had pumping wind in st lucia on saturday how was it in richardsbay ?
-
We had some wind, but it was fishable, altough I must say it did pick up as we were on our way back creating a choppy sea and becomming quite strong as we entered the port w;k .
-
We had some wind, but it was fishable, altough I must say it did pick up as we were on our way back creating a choppy sea and becomming quite strong as we entered the port w;k .
a cabin does easy the wind quiet a bit
-
Well done! Sashimi all around, yammy...
-
nice report,how far out does one need to go from the port to get some :yft: at richards bay or are the tuna waters not reachable by cat c boats :dunno:
-
Well done! Sashimi all around, yammy...
Yummy! Now I want sushi for lunch...
-
Come on Captain.
Me and Lebaka both want to know how far out we need to go for tuna? Pretty please?
-
Tuna you can get right in close at the ships and closer if conditions are right, but I imagine that these ones would have come from the south around 25-30ks. The other big tuna grounds are 65kms away.
but as I mentioned youcan get tuna a lot closer but generally you will have to to a run up or down the coast for some distance.
-
Oeloff & Lebaka
Hi Guys, sorry I took my time, but yes you guys can fish for :yft: with C boats, we normally travel 30 to 60 kilometres for these, it is more of a matter of size of your boats especially in Richardsbay which is known for its wind and the fact that you travel far for your fish. On a nice day you will be able to reach very good points at around 40 kilometres, but I MUST stress the point not to take chances out deep with huge winds being forcasted for late afternoons as these can easily catch you early along with big seas and rip currents which makes it scary, even on bigger size boats! But guys give it a bash :fshn: and enjoy!
A tip - some are cought behind the ships straight out of the harbour from 50 to 100m depth, this is normally close and relatively save on a day that you are not sure as to what the weather is going to do.
Cheers
-
Sorry I just want to add this if any of you go to Rbay while I am there just let me know as I will assist where possible - I will be down there again on Saturday.
Cheers
-
tx for the replies shag and capt morgan will def ring ur bell before my next trip down
@olef hey boet wanner gaan ons a lyn nat maak my maat
-
Hi Captain thanks for you and Junior to join us. The trip was such a pleasure. I enjoyed fighting two 6 kg Yellowfin on a a chaingang. At least we got them in the boat before been tax. Jaen Jnr is a jigging magician. He and Bwana is on par by working a big jig. Looking forward to the next trip. Lets hope the weather give us another break.
Tight Lines
-
Some good YFT areas of Richards Bay
S29 01.205 E32 24.816
S28 46.000 E32 32.485
-
:+ cred: for sharing Mike!
-
Some good YFT areas of Richards Bay
S29 01.205 E32 24.816
S28 46.000 E32 32.485
And your only 25ks away from the Berge here, a tuna highway!
-
@ Captain Morgan, Shag and FA. Thanks have some :+ cred: . It's advice like this that makes me get the fishing fever all over again.
@ Lebaka. Gary, me and Corné are planning to do a trip in Durban within the next 2 weeks. Then I got invited to a trip to Ponta do Ouro in September, I didn't get the invite last year so I reckon having a boat and a ticket makes up for having a sh*tty personality. :hehe:
I think me, you, Wayne and Corné should get together for a Richardsbay trip. After my first visit there I fell in love the place.
-
:-( Both of the co-ords are more than 15nm's out. I see on Google there's a big drop between 11nm's and 9nm's out running parralel to the coast, maybe I'll try that.
-
:-( Both of the co-ords are more than 15nm's out. I see on Google there's a big drop between 11nm's and 9nm's out running parralel to the coast, maybe I'll try that.
Dit is wat hulle die "Drukgang" noem - `n baie goeie are area maar gaan kyk wat ek vroeer vir jou gese het.
Cheers
-
Some good YFT areas of Richards Bay
S29 01.205 E32 24.816
S28 46.000 E32 32.485
And your only 25ks away from the Berge here, a tuna highway!
tx for the cords but it's a little to far for our little dinghy's to get there
@ olef yeah that 9/15nm looks good have been eyeing it since we were last and its not to far from a lekker spot i saved last time,and ja it's about time we go fish and have a few :beer: and reminisce about all the "uit k*K" we got from the ballie