ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Dropshot fishing => Topic started by: garethm on June 08, 2012, 01:31:52 PM
-
Hi All
Anybody got an idea how far south you can catch springer/skipjack?
Shot
Gareth
-
eastern cape think till port elizabeth area
-
Howzit Gareth, I have caught them in Port Alfred, but the guys get them in Knysna as well. They are said to occur all the way to Mosselbaai!
-
Garethm,
Are you talking KZN?
Know they guys get them all the way down to margate.
But the also get them in the EC.
-
Howzit Gareth, I have caught them in Port Alfred, but the guys get them in Knysna as well. They are said to occur all the way to Mosselbaai!
Only when the water is warmer than 22 degrees. w;k
-
Howzit Gareth, I have caught them in Port Alfred, but the guys get them in Knysna as well. They are said to occur all the way to Mosselbaai!
Only when the water is warmer than 22 degrees. w;k
How often does that occur and when!
-
Howzit Gareth, I have caught them in Port Alfred, but the guys get them in Knysna as well. They are said to occur all the way to Mosselbaai!
Only when the water is warmer than 22 degrees. w;k
How often does that occur and when!
Only from late January, but the Springers have been scarce lately. :-(
-
Generally springer have been scarce all along the eastern cape coast for the last +_6 yrs. I havnt caught 1 in 8 yrs from a few years back when I got up to 6 in a 2hr fly session.
Knysna is about their limit, but I suppose a few further south are possible in late summer or if they have been trapped in a closed estury.
-
Yeah the Springer have been extremely scarce, have been lucky enough to see a few in the estuaries but havent caught one for 3 years now...
-
a big one was caught in the Breede river a few years back on prawn while fishing for grunter. But it is really unusual for them to be so far south
-
I have only caught Two , and this was a while Back , both where in Birga .
Think Tommo will be able to tell us more ...
-
Gents,
Need some info. Whats happening this time of year in Witsands? Gonna have a week off in July and got vis koors. Is Witsands the spot this time of year? Do ya'll know of a better place?
Ciao,
Shaker
-
Gents,
Need some info. Whats happening this time of year in Witsands? Gonna have a week off in July and got vis koors. Is Witsands the spot this time of year? Do ya'll know of a better place?
Ciao,
Shaker
Its a bit late in the year. Winter slows things down. there are still a few reports of the odd leerie around hugging the reed beds. The grunter have been scarce but with the recent rains and hopefully by the time u go there would have been more, some dirty fresh water would have pusshed down river and the grunter moved toward the mouth. It wont be fireworks but im sure there be the odd fish
PM me before u go and i can give u an update
-
Not a very good time to hit the Breede ! if you wait for September , thats a good time !
-
the conditions that used to get the springer into EC esturies was a nice warm current close to the coast (after a couple or 3 of days strong westerly conditions) and then the water temp drops with a switch to the N'easter winds and the surf zone goes cold and dirty. Result - any open river mouth then gets all nearby fish. Springer, kob, leeries, grunter, etc. It helps if the rivers are running with a bit of stormwater at the time.
I moved away some years ago now, but once I realised that EC fishing is all about finding comfortable water for the fish I got a whole lot luckier. Wath the winds and what they do in the big bays - St Francis and J-Bay used to get a pocket of warm water trapped by these changing winds, but that was not the only place.
-
:welc: Kapenta .
Nice Mulloway you got in your Avatar .
-
I live near mosselbay and we get the springer there. They are plenty in the Little Brakriver and gourits but you only get them high up... The biggest I have seen is about 6-7kg and was caught in Kleinbrak. So they go south quite far and strangely someone caught one in the winter.... My mate also managed to catch a triple tail in gourits the other day on a live mullet. :fshn:
-
Really would like to catch a springer but I don't know where to go, what are the chances of anyone catching one in St. Lucia or Cape Vidal?
-
Very good, it's their home ground!
-
Thanks. That's great news since I'm going down 1st September
-
howzit gents.
From what seen in the past and heard you can get them all the way down to breeda as bush buck says.
Although they are more a warm water fish have caught them in 13c temps before. one just needs to addopt a different approach in the cooler waters.
-
howzit gents.
From what seen in the past and heard you can get them all the way down to breeda as bush buck says.
Although they are more a warm water fish have caught them in 13c temps before. one just needs to addopt a different approach in the cooler waters.
Hi Spin , HOW do you addapt you approach in colder Eastuary condisions ?
I try to slow down retrieves and fish even lighter , any other tips ?
Will you find the fish in the same places as in 'warm' condsions ?
Any advice would be cool .
-
Caught a springer in the bay about 6 months ago<was fishing for grunter with cracker,and while dropping my line to bottom fish went on.Used to catch them a lot in the bay with mantis shrimp.