Author
Topic: Horrible day  (Read 282 times)

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 78
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
Horrible day
« on: April 15, 2018, 07:50:56 pm »
So today we went out to pre-fish for a comp next weekend at RDW and in retrospect I should’ve stayed home I suppose.

As I hooked the boat yesterday, the trailer had some momentum and my pinky ended up between the draw plate and the trailers’ coupler. Sore, well the neighbors learned a few new words in Afrikaans!

This morning prior to launching I tested the ulterra that had some issues with the transducer mounted to the botto: of it in the week and low and behold, the belt that trims it up and down came out from the collet at the bottom. Took us two hours picking screws from the grass and figuring out how to put the trim unit back together, especially the little spring that kept jumping about and out swr

So eventually we launched at 08:00 and by this time we realized that it wasn’t going to be an easy day as most of the boats had moved from spots sereval times and were still running up and down.

Nonetheless, we launched, found out that the transducer at the bottom of the troll motor wasn’t working anymore, probably due to it being clipped off several times since I installed it the first time.

Anyhow, running the Humminbird’s on an Ethernet, I was able to utilize the transom transducer to feed the bow-mount bird too.

Fishing was tough, very tough, bites were far and few and extremely soft, this with the dam now at 100+% full, it was obvious why the other boats were burning gas and not catching bass :shk

I tried a known place up in the river and seemingly forgot to switch the main motor completely off, tried starting it after about two hours and nadda, crank battery dead. Although I had some extra cabling onboard I couldn’t cut it with the uselessly blunt side-cutter in the toolbox and had to resort to suttingbif with a knife :unhap  managed to jump start the main motor from one of the trolling motors’ deepcycles and was mobile again, but the fishing remained just like that, fishing and little to no catching. Those that I managed to catch wasnt interested in a boat ride and soon after the initial hookset would long-line themselves, so in all only 8 fish took a ride throughout the day with us....... horrible horrible day, but it was still worth it!
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper, and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 744
Re: Horrible day
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 06:59:40 am »
Jeepers Henk! What a shambles...! Not sure I would have been so patient! Perseverance...  (clap)

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 135
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 07:22:44 am »
Wow, that is tough fishing with everything that went wrong. Good luck for the next time.

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 07:48:12 am »
Tough break bru, can imagine the frustration!

Offline MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 192
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 08:19:04 am »
A day on the water regardless of conditions still beats a day in the city /work etc...hope u took enuff  :beer: with to take  the edge of the  frustration .. :Like:

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 43
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 08:38:58 am »
I also had a bum weekend's bass chasing... Saturday evening landed a few but tough going, Sunday was on the water at first light, landed my first fish after 8  :unhap ... Got a few more but that was it. Even got the Crankman on board around midday to see if he could turn things round but we both blanked.

Admittedly, heavy rains last week followed up by a week of drizzle and the water temp had plummeted from 28 down to 22.4 deg.

Edit: Oh, and my FF also decided to go on the blink.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:39:49 am by FishStyx »
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 01:42:04 pm »
 :rotfl
that's how it was meant to be I suppose, it wouldn't have helped at all to get frustrated and angry, I've learned that, that normally amounts to larger expenses fixing stuff that got handled whilst being  <:.

the same applies for taking a couple of  :beer:'s and especially  :beer:, it gets me from zero to universal HERO in in 2  :beer:'s flat and that (for me) causes much much more breakages :rotfl :rotfl

All good, at least as mentioned it was still worth it, could have been much more enjoyable, but i'll take it as it comes!!

PS finger is still swollen and a bit blueish, question time (I don't wanna go waste time at the ER for X-rays) but I am concerned that it might cause other issues, i.e. gangrene, there's no loss of sensation, pain has subsided but there obviously had been internal bleeding,  Stupid Question, I know I have to go to the ER!!!
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper, and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline TackleandCamp

• Cred: 0
« Reply #7 on: Today at 09:30:13 am »
Well LGF this sounds to me like you had a great day of exploring your boat.

RDW has had a ton of wheather and level changes over the last month or so. We saw it rise with 6 meters within a week last month which really kills fishing as the fooshies go deep and kind of hybernates till it gets hot again. Climate changes has also affected the fishing there.

I have had some luck at the flats there the past few weeks with the odd fluke and so on. Rigging a dropshot and just twitching it brought the fooshies out a bit.

Be patient and youl find them. RDW has became insanely quiet over the last while but we all know how it can change there. The sun is also coming out now after a while which will let the fooshies come up for some well deserved fresh sunlight which in turn might spark a feeding frenzy i hope.

Good luck with the comp and the finger

TC out :geet

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #8 on: Today at 09:19:51 pm »
 :rotfl  Yeah that’s why it’s called what it’s called, talking about fishing now, the finger is much better after I drilled a hole through the nail to relieve the pressure from the internal bleeding, yes I did not go to the ER, don’t like hospitals at all.

The bloke I was to fish the comp with on Sat, had to withdraw due to a huge project at work. So tried a couple of friends, but they’re all going with other peeps and or are ill?

Sorted the electrics last night I think. Will see what the rest of the ghosts in the machine have to say :hyst: