Author
Topic: BLUEGILL FISHING IN THE BOLAND  (Read 694 times)

Offline Xavier12

• Cred: 0
BLUEGILL FISHING IN THE BOLAND
« on: May 25, 2016, 09:10:59 am »
 Hi fishermen,
 I just have an enquiry here;
 Does anyone know where bluegills can be caught in the Boland area of Paarl/Wellington and the surrounding areas?
   I understand that they are an invasive species in our freshwater   system.. Any private dams, rivers or ponds that you know of will be a   great help. Let me know... Thanks in advance...
 (Comment or Inbox me)

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 118
  • Catch and Release
Re: BLUEGILL FISHING IN THE BOLAND
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:42:14 am »
The bluegills are full up in your area man .

I would make an assumption , that most of the systems in the Boland have them in , by the 1000.

In my experience , you will have to wait for the water to warm up , late September / November .
If they are present , you will see them , and will catch them .

I know of two ponds with in a radius of 30 km around Paarl , that have giant , and I mea giant bluegill ,they eat spinnerbaits , and small top waters intended for bass .

Offline Xavier12

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 09:54:19 am »
Thanks Lenny.

Yeah I am also awaiting the warmer months to come around again for that type of fishing, but can you maybe assist with the ponds and locations (Especially if you know where along the BergRiver). Any, any assistance is appreciated...

The reason I posted this is because I dont hear of, or see any around here... So if you can give me exact locations that will be awesome... even bribing a farmer or two could be a plan!  w;k   I have been on forums with this matter for a couple of months now, and NOTHING has surfaced...

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 118
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 07:42:40 pm »
Ok le me think .

Have you tried those ponds up by the Paarl mountain ?
Coming from stellenbosh on the r44 into somerset , the pond on your right , you can give that one ago .
I would have suggested venturing up to Ida's , but I would rather not even give you a clue , as to get to those two dams , as it's very very sketchy up there .

The river I know are in bad shape , but I would give it a go , in areas were the water dams up .

You could try places like berg river resort, dunno what's the deal on finishing there . La Bon near , are a croc farm , whit some dams excluding crocs that one can fish , with bass , and kurper in , most prob , gill too .
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 07:45:26 pm by Lenny »

Offline Xavier12

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 08:24:00 pm »
Thanks Lenny. Will jott these locations down and do some scouting in the near future. . . I was like 12 years old the last time I saw a bluegill in the flesh. Will definitely strole down the banks of the Berg River too. Fishing here has really deteriorated over the years due to pollution, construction and poor rainfall. . .

It's sad, and that's why it's so difficult to find what you looking for in these fresh water systems over here. I want to coach a cousin of mine in fishing and Bluegills are a good start. . . Thanks again for the input champ.

If any other spots come to mind just post it on here for me please.