Author
Topic: Saltwater Micros  (Read 1221 times)

Offline kaptein delarey

• The Erratic Jerk
  • Cred: 23
Saltwater Micros
« on: January 05, 2015, 05:23:32 pm »
Ok, this wasn't supposed to be a micros post, but the big fish didn't come to the party - so here goes ...

Visited the Port Shepstone area for my first coastal break in more than 2 years.

As this was a family holiday, I had to squeeze in quick power angling sessions when I where I got the opportunity. The weather was mostly windy so I concentrated my efforts on a couple of close by estuaries, pools and gullies.

Got 11 new species for me (some yet not confidently identified by me) and all of them were caught on lure ... even though I got offered bait on numerous occasions by holidaying youngsters.

Started off with the most common fish a Maned Blenny.

Also caught plenty of these very territorial Spot Damsels.

The Cape Moonies were fun to catch and watch the whole school following the hooked fish to the surface.

This small, but greedy Tank Goby took a whole Berkley Powerbait Micro Wiggler on a #16 hook.

Got this strange-looking goby a couple cast later. Can't find it's exact name yet.

Also had a surprisingly productive short session at the Uvongo lagoon (in between the swimmers and paddlers) quickly hooking 5 different species.

Another unnamed goby.

The strangest looking fish I've caught to date - the aptly named Kappie Blenny.

Found out that it's a biter ...

A Slender Glassy

A small mullet of some kind.

And a small Cape Stumpnose.

Rounded off my 11 species tally with this Thornfish.

All in all great artlure fun at the coast!

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 12
Re: Saltwater Micros
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:02:11 pm »
 :win:  Wow looks like fun. I have a rods 6' 1/16 to 1/8 oz wt and a 7' 1/8 to 1/4 oz wt . And an ABU 1000 reel. Would 2kg line and no 16 and 12 hooks work ??   :dunno: . Colin. :toppie: .
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 740
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 07:57:25 am »
Nice species count there Kaptein\!

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

Offline kaptein delarey

• The Erratic Jerk
  • Cred: 23
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 08:43:54 am »
:win:  Wow looks like fun. I have a rods 6' 1/16 to 1/8 oz wt and a 7' 1/8 to 1/4 oz wt . And an ABU 1000 reel. Would 2kg line and no 16 and 12 hooks work ??   :dunno: . Colin. :toppie: .

Hi Colin,

Those rods would be more than adequate. I would rig one rod (try get a spinning reel to cast lighter rig easier) with a size 16 hook with a round or mojo sinker +/- 15cm up the line. Thread a whole Berkley Powerbait Micro Wiggler (http://purefishing.co.za/portfolio-item/powerbait-micro-power-wigglers/#prettyPhoto) onto the hook so that it looks like a small worm or shrimp. If you can't get them cut small pieces from old bass soft plastics. Cast this into likely looking areas and slowly retrieve with short hops, stops and erratic jerks. Experiment to see what the fish want. Caught moonies and gobies on this rig.

For the the other rod I would try and get smaller hooks. Look for size #22 or even down to #26 or #28. Rig the small hook with a small splitshot +/- 5cm up the line and pinch off small bits of the Powerbait or any other soft plastic bait. You won't be doing any casting, but will simply be dipping the lure into rock cracks and any likely looking spots at a rod's length and closer to you. Dip and give short strikes and dip and repeat. You'd be surprised at how many species lurk this close to shore under rock ledges etc.

You could substitute the the plastic lures for bait, I just choose not too because it's a lot less messy ...

Shout if you need more info.

Werner

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 12
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 10:50:50 am »
 :tkx: Werner well explained  :bow: . Those tiny hooks will be a challenge for  a 64 yr old  :toppie:  Colin..
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.