Author
Topic: The Ultimate Intro To Micro Fishing  (Read 2329 times)

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 361
  • Conservation First!
The Ultimate Intro To Micro Fishing
« on: May 16, 2013, 03:22:11 pm »
What Is Micro Fishing?

Micro Fishing is the art of targeting species of fish using small hooks, light line, small reels and light rods under the size of 25cm. A Micro Fishing trophy fish is the opposite of normal forms of angling and a trophy is regarded as a fish of 5cm's or less.

Micro Fishing is fast evolving into a popular type of sport fishing in North America and Europe and is becoming slightly more popular in South Africa as the season pass. Micro Fishing was started by the Japanese and is very big all over Asia.

Why Fish For Small Fish?

From the outside Micro Fishing might look easy, boring, pointless or as something children should be doing, many people have this opinion on Micro Fishing and I guess it is easy to view it like this. But if you give it a chance I am sure your opinions will change. During many anglers lives, a species count of 40-50 is good going, if you are interested in targeting and catching species, which has always been my interest, you can catch 100's and even 1000's of fish species. At the time of writing this article the owner and founder of Sebile just caught his 700th fish species, the last 6 species in his quest were all micro species, and he shares some information on how enjoyable and challenging it was.
If you want to catch species, this is how to do it and I am slowly "evolving" into a micro angler, I just enjoy it so much!

More General Information

Micro Fishing, like most angling facets, has a variety of techniques that can be used, many of them unusual and innovative.
When Micro Fishing you can fish anywhere and target the diverse aquatic life we have to offer here in South Africa. Freshwater and Saltwater, from small pools in dried up rivers, to the surf zone in oceans, you can fish any body of water no matter how small or large, generally these will hold fish.
Some anglers have already adopted this micro technique when catching live bait, and the great thing is you can apply this to game fish, reef fish and many others. Anything is possible in the World of Micro Fishing.

A "Micro" White Musselcracker

A "Micro" Banded Tilapia

WK  :ult:

Online John F

• Cred: 507
Re: The Ultimate Intro To Micro Fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 03:29:29 pm »
Great stuff WK!

Guess I'm all for it as well...

One question... is the 25 cm limit generally accepted and established? A 25 cm long fish can be a "large" fish, specially if you considered species that don't grow more that 25-30 cm (silagos, sardines, etc.).

Also with regards to tackle what are the general criteria? Or it pertains manly to the size of the fish?

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 03:33:27 pm »
The 25 centimeter limit has been debated Marcos, some say 20, 22 or 25.

You sort of have to use your discretion with the size limit in micro fishing, for example if you catch a 25 centimeter Kob that would be considered a micro, but if you catch a 25cm Silago, that wont count.

Basically if the fish grows to a large size it will be considered a micro under 25 centimeters, but if a fish only attains 30cm's, for example, you would need to get one under 8-10 cm's for it to qualify as a micro  :-)

Offline CLS

• Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 153
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 03:41:21 pm »
out of interest, what tackle does one use??
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home.

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 03:53:48 pm »
Will be posting something shortly about it CLS.

In general there are 2 ways to go about it:

A long rod, 9-15 feet, such as a fly rod, something with a light tip. The reason for the long rod is to approach fish close to the shore/bank without spooking them, as you generally do not cast.

A short rod - 4-6 feet, there are some small 1 foot rods one can buy but I am not really interested in that, I prefer to use "proper" tackle if I can call it that.

Line - braid, as light as you can find, with a leader of 1-3 lbs, easy to find in fly fishing sections in shops.

Hooks - Size #10 - #30, extremely small, also found in fly fishing sections.

Reels: small grinders or bait casters, I am currently looking at the Ryobi 500 perfect light weight quality reel for this application.

Weights: Small split shots just to get enough weight for your hook to reach the bottom or make your float stand proud in the water.