Author
Topic: MPT Bay offshore - What's up  (Read 53309 times)

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 75
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #960 on: April 03, 2017, 11:30:39 am »
yesterday took place another leg of the "whatsapp Maritimo comp"
I should have not attended the comp (I told team 4play I would be busy for the weekend)...but Thursday I started chatting to Marcos about a joint force for a fishing plan
my plan...relaxed fishing day...some drifts (with spinning) and some throlling for game fish
his plan...some throlling for game fish and some throlling for billfish
he was waiting for his crew reply...I had no crew...that's why I had a joint force in mind
Friday morning I was chatting to another mate and he and his fishing buddy ended up joining me for Sunday...and leaving their boat in land...so I was in for the comp...although our plan was to fish for the pot

all set on Saturday afternoon and by 5:40 we launched and by 6:00 we were all running to the fishing grounds...
lazy fisherman...out of the 13 boats only 3 were at departure at 6:00
flats seas untill Inhaca...and some bumpy seas from Inhaca and out during the morning (we guess leftover seas from the North winds from previous days)

by 7:15 lines were out...and while putting the lines out we had our first strike...and our first lost fish at gaffing distance
we fought the fish all the way to the boat...and at gaffing distance the fish pin wheeled and of he went...a nice size wahoo

we worked the are for a while and soon we had another strike...and same story happened...this time with a nice cuta

at the 3rd strike we managed to land the fish...a 9kg cuta...then anotther strike (and while reeling in another stike)...2x strike on cuta...and both landed (9kg and 7kg)
eventually we got another 7kg cuta and then all went quiet during the morning
we decided to leave the area and start heading North and out

sea got flat and we headed out...no idea why we decided to go out but it was a plan
out on the 350mt line we found 2 attached drums floating...and drifting
we went trough a few times...saw the dories...got the strikes...but in the end no dories took the lures...only a 9.9kg wahoo

after tide change we decided to start heading in to try and get some more fish on the green water (out in the deep sea was beatiful blue)
we had another long pull...reel was screaming high...and again after a long fight we ended up loosing the fish under the boat...a big big cuta

we got to the club by 16:20...enjoyed the day out although too many lost fish

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #961 on: April 03, 2017, 03:18:07 pm »
on the billfish side things slowed down a bit
out of the 15 boats only 5 released fish
hakuna matata - 1 marlin
nakisai - 1 marlin
bite me - 1 marlin
4play - 1 saily
sholay - 1 saily

the little I've heard there was some strikes

Offline wesporra

• Cred: 0
« Reply #962 on: April 04, 2017, 01:38:04 pm »
Hey Guys

just wanted to find out, is there any where in maputo/matola, that a person can do his skippers licence and or The New Vhf licence.

as i believe this is required now  ( the Vhf Licence).

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #963 on: April 04, 2017, 01:41:37 pm »
skippers license is at the maritime authorities  (INAMAR) in Maputo close to the port...you need to approach them regarding finding a date for the exam (there are  no courses)
vhf license is not mandatory

Offline John F

• Cred: 512
« Reply #964 on: April 04, 2017, 02:05:21 pm »
What he said. INAMAR will also let you know the subjects you will need to study for the written exam, in Portuguese BTW...

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline John F

« Reply #965 on: April 04, 2017, 02:13:58 pm »
However, you can't just ask about the exam... you need to register there first, for which they will issue you a card - Cedula de Inscrição Maritima. This is your basic qualification as a marinheiro. Then you can apply for the skippers.

For the Cedula, apart from a front letter, you'll need to produce a health & fitness certificate issued by the public health institute or any state clinic, plus a copy of your ID document.

Offline John F

« Reply #966 on: April 13, 2017, 09:40:19 am »
Had a "stuff work" moment yesterday and launched at 08:00 to chase bills. Forecast was a little N-NE breeze which actually turned into a steady 8-12 Knots wind throughout the day! Took us an hour and half to get to Jeremias... plan was to look for gamefish and then head out to the deep.

Water temp ranged 26.8 - 27.3o C and was that clean deep blue that we like.

Got to Jeremias and put two rappies out. My all time fav and very damaged silver was lost... a fish (probably a wahoo?) attacked the swivel and broke the aussie plait!

Moved on to the deep and changed to marlin lures and as we got to about 150 m I realized that the rod with the only rappie (pink) left in the spread in the short left position was bending silently and peeling line like crazy! The ratchet was off! A 7.5 kg wahoo was released into the hatch and we carried on.

Not much happened during the day. Pretty lifeless out there. Got back at 16:00.

We did 79 nm and used 88.5 L. 

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 42
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #967 on: April 13, 2017, 09:44:42 am »
... Yes... the ratchet  :hyst:
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #968 on: April 13, 2017, 11:18:20 am »

The ratchet was off

straf dop x2...plus interest means a full bottle

Offline L Hooker

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 55
« Reply #969 on: April 13, 2017, 02:52:33 pm »
Congrats on the hoo, a day on the water always better than a day in the office :-)

Offline John F

« Reply #970 on: April 22, 2017, 07:20:28 pm »
All sorted for a 06h00 launch tomorrow. Forecast is good so will try a bit of trolling, drifting, kite fishing (if we find live bait),  and spinning...

peterblace is coming along on Maximvs... been a while, looking forward to a nice relaxed day...

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #971 on: April 24, 2017, 10:38:04 am »
what a day at sea...beautiful weather...nice catches...and above all...wonderful social event with JohnF aboard MAXIMVS
after setting the boat and gear on Saturday...and setting (sort of) the plan we decided to launch Sunday with flat seas and nearly no wind
plan was to throl a bit...then later move for some drifts with livees (if we manage to catch them)...and some popping (while drifting)
we launched at 6:30 and on our way to North we made a quick stop at BX Ribeiro to try and catch some livees...we spot them but only managed to catch a couple...after 1/2h we headed North
we set the lines at about 8:30 and all was very quiet...even the fish strikes...
our first strike reel did not sing that sound we all like to hear...it felt like there was missed strike...and we kept going...then again JohnF spotted again the same story on that rod...and decided have a look
we had a fish...but it was not running...and not fighting...must be a small fish we thought...well...we thought wrong...it was the biggest cuta for the day with nearly 9kg
only realized it was caught the moment it felt the gaff on...lure was hard swallowed
then all went quiet in that area and we decided to head further North to some known drops...where we caught some extra 4 smaller cuta
troughout the day we had plenty strikes with fish not commiting properly to the hooks...we were a bit frustrated with that...JohnF even sharpened the hooks to try and improve the hook up ratio

by 12:00 we moved to another drop for some drifts...we set a dead and a live bait...and while I was popping JohnF decided to cut a wahoo strip bait he had and start some bottom fishing
first line to go on was the dead mackerel...and we caught a wonderful surprise comming from the bottom...a nice green jobfish

while on the this drifts I was popping...and 5mts from the boat I had a flying cuta (mouth wide open) going for the popper...but missed the popper and went bulls eye on the 120# leader...popper stayed floating...we collected it and went again for the day
later it was the livee to go on...and we landed another shy cuta...again...fish didn't run and fight much

we got to the club at 17:00 after a very good day at sea...but winter is coming...chilli in the morning/afternoon...and you can feel it really when boat is moving fast

Offline John F

« Reply #972 on: April 24, 2017, 11:18:40 am »
Yeah thanks for a great day out and the report. Sums it up nicely.

A few highlights:

1. Not only the winter is creeping through, but the old bones need extra time to recover after a day like yesterday... had a hard time getting out of the bed today :hyst:

2. At one point we were simultaneously fishing for bottoms, popping and drifting 2 baits out on balloons.... could even have had a kite up with 2 rods if we had some wind... PURE MAGIC... not a single entanglement.... worked like an atomic clock!!!  :rck"

3. My 110 L Addis live-bait well apparently has some magic properties: live bait grow there like crazy... double the size on an individual fish within 2 hours!!!! :hyst: :hyst:

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #973 on: April 24, 2017, 11:54:59 am »
Yeah thanks for a great day out and the report. Sums it up nicely.

A few highlights:

1. Not only the winter is creeping through, but the old bones need extra time to recover after a day like yesterday... had a hard time getting out of the bed today :hyst:

2. At one point we were simultaneously fishing for bottoms, popping and drifting 2 baits out on balloons.... could even have had a kite up with 2 rods if we had some wind... PURE MAGIC... not a single entanglement.... worked like an atomic clock!!!  :rck"

3. My 110 L Addis live-bait well apparently has some magic properties: live bait grow there like crazy... double the size on an individual fish within 2 hours!!!! :hyst: :hyst:

that was a very funny moment...as mentioned we caught only 2 livees at BX Ribeiro...I did not realize JohnF loaded the live well with one of the snapers he caught while bottom fishing
when our livee was taken by the cuta I grabbed the net to collect the remaining (I thought so) livee...lookend into the live well...uau...fish grow up so much!!!!
I couldn't believe in my eyes how could the little fish had grown so much

forgot to mention...the live bait well was also used to keep a 500gr green jobfish live until home (literally JohnF took the fish home still alive and kicking)

Offline John F

« Reply #974 on: May 19, 2017, 03:44:58 pm »
All set for a day of social fishing.... the whole Pereira clan will be on the water.... conditions are forecasted to be excelent and the bait is already waiting...

Bring it on!

EDIT: Here's the report http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=22261.0

Offline John F

« Reply #975 on: June 09, 2017, 11:24:54 am »
One of these to the first to guess where will I be tomorrow  :crzy

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 42
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #976 on: June 09, 2017, 11:55:41 am »
Nah... someone told me refined sugars were not good for me.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline John F

« Reply #977 on: June 09, 2017, 12:25:55 pm »
Nah... someone told me refined sugars were not good for me.

:rotfl fair enough

Offline UmdlotiOnDad

• Cred: 0
« Reply #978 on: June 10, 2017, 08:35:11 am »
Hi John Do you perhaps know when the new road will link up at Kosi border?

Offline John F

« Reply #979 on: June 12, 2017, 10:25:29 am »
Hi John Do you perhaps know when the new road will link up at Kosi border?

They have been working on it. Last time I went to Ponta they were inside the Maputo Special Reserve. The bridge was supposed to be inaugurated in Dec this year... not going to happen I reckon...

I think by this time next year maybe?