Author
Topic: Yellowfin tuna  (Read 448 times)

Offline stephanhavenga

• Cred: 0
Yellowfin tuna
« on: May 19, 2017, 10:45:56 am »
hi

I was looking at catches of yellow fin tuna in cape town area. All of the photos there is a peace missing on the head of the tuna. was wondering what the purpose of this is?

Offline Prego

• Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 166
  • Because I said so
Re: Yellowfin tuna
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:53:55 am »
They cut that piece off so they can ream the fish with a long piece of flexible steel. This parslyses the fish and he bleeds out without bashing himself all overy the place,  to improve the quality of the meat.

Offline stephanhavenga

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:35:36 am »
wow very interesting. could on do this with smaller fish as well?

Offline bassbug

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 11
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 12:32:32 pm »
i stab them behind both pectoral fins

Offline John F

• Cred: 507
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 12:45:04 pm »
This issue was discussed at length here http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=11831.0

Plenty of extra reading material there as welle

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline stephanhavenga

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 01:07:09 pm »
thanks john F. v

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 52
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 02:50:56 pm »
i stab them behind both pectoral fins
Spoke to a tuna guy from the cape and they use a oyster knife behind(not too deep) the pecs, just to release the pressure, no need to slash/hack as so many guys do here in KZN.
Guys here that own a fish shop reckon that on smaller fish it makes no difference at all and is a bit of a myth that has carried over the years??
Just Fish!!!

Offline John F

• Cred: 507
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 06:22:44 pm »
Guys here that own a fish shop reckon that on smaller fish it makes no difference at all and is a bit of a myth that has carried over the years??

Are they vegan of some sorts?!?!  :crzy

I've had yft both ways and I promisse you it DOES make a difference!

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline Visenvryheid

• Cred: 5
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 05:17:51 pm »
Spiking/Ike jima and a bleed out afterwards while the heart is still pumping makes ALL the difference to any fish and animal and especially warm blooded ones..Turns what is considered waste fish in some parts of the world like sarda sarda and shad, into amazing sashimi..if not done it is pap city..bleeding any fish out makes a difference, my beef is done the same by my butcher and believe me you cannot buy that quality of meat in the city no matter how much you want to spend.. ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 05:19:44 pm by Visenvryheid »

Offline bassbug

• Ultimate member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 09:08:45 am »
i beleive, to iki jima after the tuna has bled out, if needed

Offline Visenvryheid

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 11:53:59 am »
Don't think the order is too critical so long that they are done together..I also don't think a tail slice and spine wire a needed, so long that as the fish is unhooked, you relax and make it relax, spike the brain and move the knifeblade or screwdriver tool etc around so the spine connection is severed, the fish tenses up, twitches when the spine/brain is hit, then it relaxes completely so taken out of an ice box later or a fridge tomorrow it will be limp like just caught and retain its fresh living colour. The bleed must be done same time, before or after no matter, just same time, I like to slice the throat to hit each jugular (?) to the gills, or cut the vein itself going to the gills, slash across each set of gills cutting all those arteries on each side of the fish..then having the head face downhill so it can pump the blood. This though is in general for all fish, small tuna, yellowtail, shad, reef fish etc..for XL large tuna the skipper just hits the arteries behind the pectorals and spikes the brain.. and let the heart pump the fish empty, it goes on ice with ice shoved inside, to get gutted and de-headed later when there is chance.. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBAzhUiJ4ys

Brilliant video by the Auz animal welfare organisation..

http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=1690.html
http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=1702.html

More interesting stuff, also discussing there why wiring spine also preferable to what I do, spiking the brain..
Spiking the brain and bleeding makes such a huge difference anyway and spine wire seems like so much more schlep when the fish are biting so I don't go so far.. but when I catch a nice shad I get excited and spiked and bled while still on the hook or just after, rested on ice then filleted, makes a sashimi that is comparable to salmon.. but then check this video of "blue fish" shad in america and look at how bloody that fillet is and how sif it looks and how pap and flaky and k*K tasting the flesh is..Ja it will be if you let it flap to death on the beach and die of stress and suffocation, full of blood and stress hormones in the meat..It goes sif quick..any warm blooded fish is like that and IME reef fish also it makes a big enough difference too. If you do it to chokka, they don't go white when fresh, but stay clear, with translucent flesh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDpJWg9fWzg

Let me tell you, once you had shad taken care of properly in sashimi, you start packing wasabi and soy in your fishing bag along with a sharp filleting knife.. ;) But ja for tuna, any warm blooded fish it makes a huge difference, cold blooded fish still worth it but not as much. My skipper makes sure all our fish are done right nowadays but he had a whole career of throwing them into the hatch when we met..after seeing enough of my fish when we were filleting with huge difference in the flesh quality, he became a convert soon enough. The difference between looked after fish and not looked after is huge. If there is enough time, I say goodbyes, stroke them calm, cover their eyes, then do the deed and let it get all dexter like with a few arteries cut and blood spraying everywhere.. and I can whip out a vac pack fillet out the deep freeze a year later and it is as good as any for sashimi that you can buy in a restuarant. No jokes :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikejime
http://www.anglers-secrets.com/how-to-keep-fish-fresh/

Last one is great info..

Also when we store fish on ice, it is in a fishbox, styrofoam, with holes stabbed under for draining water..fresh ice gets packed in on top daily but seen a tuna box full of different goodies maturing..that I was lucky to sample, yellowfin dispatched and stored right and cured for more than a week on fresh ice till sashimi, along with yellowtail etc..unbelievable, still the absolutely best sushi I have ever eaten, far above all the rest..Melted like butter but firm, and flavours off the chart..
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:58:02 pm by Visenvryheid »

Offline bassbug

• Ultimate member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 02:04:49 pm »
thanks Visenvryheid for putting that together, was entertained by the funny chinese guy :)
i was brought up to beleive that once to kill the brain the heart stops to pump, hence why i bleed my quary

Offline Visenvryheid

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 05:16:58 pm »
Pleasure man..

I know from experience though when you kill the brain/sever the spinal cord, the heart carries on pumping for a minute or two at least after..100%.. you can bleed the fish out and still take the heart out and leave it on your cutting board and it still pumps for a while..then you eat it :)

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 12
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 07:48:57 pm »
 :tkx:  very interesting . "will try this at home "  :toppie:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 07:49:44 pm by colin »
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.