Author
Topic: Introduction To The Species (Sub-species) Of Carp In South Africa  (Read 3045 times)

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 361
  • Conservation First!
Different Species Of Carp Found In South Africa

Many bank anglers may not know it, but there are a variety of different species of carp found in South Africa. Carp fishing, or bank angling (As many call it), is one of the most popular forms of fishing by participation in South Africa. Carp fishing is a very dynamic and technical sport, if we can call it that. There are so many different forms of Carp angling, which are all in their own right, successful at targeting specific species of carp. There are 4 "main" kinds of Carp fishing one can do in South Africa.

Conventional (Papgooi)
   Specimen
   Float Fishing
   Match Fishing

All these forms of bank angling can help you succeed in catching all the species of carp in South Africa. There are so many rods, reels, dips, hook baits and feed that are used in these various forms of carp angling.

How Many Species Of Carp Are There In South Africa?

We will look at the different species of Carp in South Africa in a bit more detail. Carp are from the family Cyprinidae, and are originally native to Europe and Asia. Carp have been introduced all over the World and were first introduced into South Africa in 1859, as a fodder fish and an angling fish to keep the settlers entertained, and to make them feel more at home. The Carp is regarded as an excellent angling species, although it is a very invasive species. Below, you will find the species of Carp found in South Africa, with a bit of a description of how to differentiate between them.

Common Carp

Arguably the most commonly caught fish in the World. The Common Carp is one of the most sought after Carp species by anglers, and is an excellent sport fish. The record for a Common Carp is broken on a yearly basis, and is close to 50kgs.

Mirror Carp

Sometimes called a Full Scale Carp, the Mirror Carp has the same genetic make up of a Common Carp, except their scales are a lot more developed and prevalent. In South Africa, it is also known as the King Carp.

Leather Carp

**Not my image

The Leather Carp, generally, is a old Mirror Carp that has "outgrown" it's scales, which leaves it with a very leather-like appearance. This is a prized angling species and is not very common.

Ghost Carp

The Ghost Carp comes in various forms, and is a pigmented version of any of the species mentioned above. The Ghost Carp is an albino, and is highly sought after angling species.

Koi Carp

There are numerous species of Koi, too many to list. Koi are basically domesticated and bred versions of Carp, and many different species have been introduced and released into dams all over South Africa.

Grass Carp

The Grass Carp is a big fish that moves around in small schools. These fish, along with the one listed below, are really invasive, and compete with endemic species such as Yellowfish and Mudfish.

Silver (Asian) Carp

**Not my image

The Silver Carp, also called the Asian Carp, is one of the fastest growing carp species, and causes a lot of damage. Although this is a great sport fish, anglers are encouraged not to release these fish.

Closing Words

Carp play an important role in South African fisheries to attract anglers from all over the Country. Despite their invasive habits, they are a beautiful fish to catch, and sometimes a hard fish to figure out. Carp fight well, and all in all are a great angling species.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 740
Re: Introduction To The Species (Sub-species) Of Carp In South Africa
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 10:50:34 am »
Wow! Outstanding post WK! Long overdue as well. Great pics!  :+ cred:

Stickied!

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 12
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 11:03:24 am »
 :win: :tkx:  great info . :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline John F

• Cred: 508
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 11:19:29 am »
Great post WK!!!!  :+ cred:

So the way I understand it, there are actually 3 species of introduced carps in SA (see also Skelton, 2001): common carp (Cyprinus carpio), grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella) and silver carp (Hypophthailmichthys molitrix).

So basicaly, what you refer to as common, mirror, leather, ghost and koi carp are all in fact one and the same species: common carp - Cyprinus carpio.

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 12:15:56 pm »
Thanks very much guys, work has been so so hectic, but decided to get something together, havent posted anything useful in a while  :-(

@Marcos that is correct, all the same species, just different variations. For example there are 30 odd main species of Koi and the related hybrids, and they fall under the same name: Cyprinus carpio

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 164
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 01:43:40 pm »
Great post Gareth  :+ cred:
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 219
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 02:10:23 pm »
Saw an interesting article the other day in which mirror carp were released back into dams without common carp. Within a couple of generations the mirror carp variation had all but died out leaving the dam stocked with common carp.

Clearly the "mirror" gene did not provide the same protection as the "common" gene within certain environments.

Now if only I could recall where I saw that :cnfzd

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 03:32:45 pm »
Thanks guys...

@Brad thats interesting, it almost doesnt make sense though, would like to see that article if you can find it  :-)

Offline John F

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 05:02:16 pm »
HP & WK you tchops!!!

When are you going to learn to use the search function?!?!?  :crzy

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=21507.0

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 07:10:55 am »
 :rotfl

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 219
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 07:32:47 am »
I don't search .... I have mods :hehe:

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 08:34:33 am »

Offline Marthin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 43
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 10:47:27 am »
I caught a completely scaleless leather, mirror and common in 3 casts (Kano drops), at bloemhof one morning.

all 3 were at or about 5kg. To my shock i just realised that was 20 years ago!
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 11:57:38 am »
Wow, thats very interesting!!!!!

You dont have any old school pics at all?

Offline Marthin

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 12:29:40 pm »
Nope our family never really took pictures of anything, until cellcameras came around.  And mostly anything caught in a dam either became fishcakes or went to the gardener... Ive only in recent years found out it wasnt an everyday thing.  I also had my first epilepsy about 1h after catching the last of the 3, so photos wasnt high on the agenda.

We didnt even own a camera for long periods of time, i wish today we had pictures of the days at Gouritz, Ystervarkfontein, Jongensfontein, Vaal river, Bloemhof etc.. Especially with my dad being gone one just has memories now and they also fade...

I'm 6ft3 almost 6ft4 and he got a barbel about 5km south of bloemhof dam on a penn jigmaster and blue marlin rod that i held in the gills level with my eyes and the tail was on the ground for example... we never weighed or anything, didnt measure i can't even say what it weighed today just that when i saw it come up the first time it actually scared me. I was 17 back then so basically as tall as i would be.

One morning also at bloemhof at a time when the dam was relatively low, not as low as recently, we happened by accident to get a spot where you couldnt stand about 30m from the side, while the people next to us were walking for massive distances only waist deep.  We caught and released probably more than 50 to 60 smallmouth yellows caught on my dad's handmade brownbread, curry and onion dough.  And one largemouth that decided to swallow the tiny smallmouth that happened to hook itself on my uncle's one hook.

He got a galjoen at ystervarkfontein that with the head off and tail off, filled one of those black oven pans, not opened up, lying closed on one side.

Fish were measured on where it reached your body or how many you got.  I can tell you we got 3 streepsakke full of carp at Baberspan, in one morning from 4am to about 2pm.... never a single baber in baberspan though.  Or that for some reason in the Vaal river below bloemhof the big carp at night would hit those big fat earthworms you get in the riverbanks sometimes like a pencil, but didnt like the smaller kariba tipes, however the barbel would take your carp lines on the smaller earthworms and often give you a proper hiding.

All just memories now...
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline Marthin

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 12:31:26 pm »
 :oops: :topic: sorry got distracted :zipit:

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 133
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 12:36:29 pm »
Thanks for sharing, Marthin. Memories from our chilhood fishing with our loved ones are so precious.

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 04:59:09 pm »
Nothing better than memories from your child hood bru!

Offline HennieB

• Cred: 0
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 12:39:04 pm »
Thanks for the post, there are however some info I'd like to share and it's not intended to start a fight.

Regarding Mirror and leather carp, they are not the same species. Leathers also grow much slower and it's not a mirror that has outgrown it's scales.

Contrary to popular belief, a leather carp is not a mirror carp without scales; there is a distinct genetic difference. Leather carp are permitted a few scales either along the dorsal line or the wrist of the tail. Leather carp also have reduced numbers of red blood cells, slowing growth rates, which makes larger leather carp extremely sought after and rare.

The photo you have of a Ghost is a fully scaled mirror, you also get linears which usually has a single row of scales on it's back and side. Ghost carp are a mutation of koi's and common or mirror offspring, frequently found in Roodeplaat dam.

Linear
http://anglinglines.com/blog/wp-content/images/2015/01/35.2paddyramsden1.jpg

Fully scaled mirror
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/56cc4645c2ea518471e01802/573f3f3309a58ea398cd7b47/573f3fad09a58ea398cd82b4/1463762861632/DSC05089.JPG?format=original

Ghost
http://catsandcarp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Ghost-carp.jpg

Offline John F

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 01:47:02 pm »

Regarding Mirror and leather carp, they are not the same species. Leathers also grow much slower and it's not a mirror that has outgrown it's scales.

Contrary to popular belief, a leather carp is not a mirror carp without scales; there is a distinct genetic difference. Leather carp are permitted a few scales either along the dorsal line or the wrist of the tail. Leather carp also have reduced numbers of red blood cells, slowing growth rates, which makes larger leather carp extremely sought after and rare.

Actually, they are all the same species: Common carp - Cyprinus carpio as mentioned before. Yes there are some genetic differences between the different "types". But not enough to separate them into different species We can call them different "races". Bottom line is they can all interbreed and provide viable offspring = this is the basic definition of species.  Pretty much like humans. We have minor genetic differences but not enough to separate into different species.