Author
Topic: Deep cycle batteries  (Read 382 times)

Offline Ismael786

• Cred: 6
Deep cycle batteries
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:48:33 am »
Hi guys,  I'm looking to get a new battery for my inflatable boat,  I use a minn kota traxiss 55lb, what do you guys suggest
Thanks

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 78
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
Re: Deep cycle batteries
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 07:56:36 am »
We had a minn Kota 30lb on our little mariner that we ran off a 65ah Deltec and it was fine for a good long while for a normal day on the water, but, it ran out of steam on several occasions when we had a couple more stuck hooks on those days.

I would not go anything less than a 115ah, yes it's bigger and heavier, but you will glad you fitted that the day you need to get back from far across the dam and especially on those days when the wind starts blowing head on.

Deltec's are more expensive, but imho they are just superior, last year's and years. I have a 115ah that is now over 12yrs old and I still run all my electronics off it for days on end without a blink or any issues.
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper, and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline Ismael786

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:24:44 am »
Thanks LGF
Where can I get a deltec from in Kzn

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:48:49 am »
Many years ago bought a Landy with  a big Delco battery bigger than the 105 . It had a hole  in the case. I tilted the battery , topped up the acid and plugged the hole with Pratley putty. I  bought a new battery for spare and always traveled with it, used it for caravan lights etc. 10 years and 2 new batteries later :hehe:  I sold the Landy to an undertaker in the Transkei with the Deltec still going strong . :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline Plugger

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 9
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:52:58 am »
116 Old Main Road Pinetown. 031 702 4333
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline Ismael786

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 12:35:50 pm »
Thanks Plugger , will give them a call. Thanks guys

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 42
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 01:59:30 pm »
Coincidentally, was looking for online UPS just now and came across this... I know they are jhb but I've been getting a lot of sites that are delivering free of charge lately. Check it out. http://www.maidenelectronics.co.za/c159/Special-Offers.aspx
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Ismael786

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 08:09:16 am »

Offline Ismael786

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 10:25:22 am »
So i had a look at the website and gave them a call and asked for a quote on the above link battery and this is what they said " Please note in this battery we only have the Energizer branded version. There is no difference whatsoever between the Deltec branded version and the Energizer branded version - they both come from the same factory made by Johnson Controls and depending on whose warehouse it ends up in as to what sticker it is sold with." So what i want to know if this is true .

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 78
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 07:30:45 am »
Heard so many of those arguments on various things in the past, I still don't get it. I can accept the fact that a particular brand supplies various outlets (warehouses) in order, perhaps to boosts sales, but I'm not convinced. If it is the same, then why sell it (brand it) as something else?????

Given these things probably are true, take Tohatsu and Yamaha, it's well known that apparently, they are produced from the same factory and even have interchangeable parts, still, if I need a part for Yamaha, I go to Yamaha. Plain and simple.
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper, and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline Ismael786

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 08:13:50 am »
Thanks LGF
I actually found another online store check it out animalgear.co.za has a lot of outdoor stuff and got my Deltec from there, what i don't get as well why would the price be the same as a Deltec when Energizer is cheaper..

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 09:23:27 am »
Tohatsu and Yamaha, it's well known that apparently, they are produced from the same factory and even have interchangeable parts...

Nope... Tohatsu are produced in their own factory. They are Japan's oldest outboard manufacturer. They do produce exclusively for the Nissan brand in the States and they have produced a few small outboards for various brands, notably Merc (lots), Evilrude and Yamaha.

In 2013, Tohatsu was wanting to break into the larger HP sizes in 4-stroke, Honda produced 8 models for them. As far as I know that is still the case.

I wish Tohatsu was properly represented in SA... They are amazing motors.

As far as batteries are concerned, so many of the batteries produced in SA are all made by First National Battery and just given different casings and labels.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:24:22 am by FishStyx »
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Ismael786

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 10:15:28 am »
Is there a proper way to charge deep cycle batteries? I usually charge it after every fishing trip, if I fish on a sat afternoon for 2hrs when I get back home it's on  charge even if I am going on Sunday to fish,  also once its full  charge do you take it off?

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 10:26:45 am »
I have gone over 100% to the use of smart chargers. The top of the range (as far as I know) being C-Tek, but with many other offerings now available. I no longer use the old "dumb" chargers.

Offline Ismael786

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 10:35:08 am »
Thanks also got myself  a C-Tek smart charger