Author
Topic: John F's Hi-speed trolling  (Read 2820 times)

Offline John F

• Cred: 512
John F's Hi-speed trolling
« on: December 04, 2016, 09:28:22 pm »
With the season in full swing and fishing plans being made for the end of the year, I thought I'd bring up this technique and share some of my own experience.

Hi-speed trolling is an effective technique that is seldom used. This technique is very popular in the US with the wahoo pro's. While many might think this must be done at +20 knots, this is not so especially in our choppy conditions. I have put this recollection of my many trials and errors (and a few successes) together, hoping it will help someone out there. I use it very often and would definitely recommend it. Much of what is presented here has been discussed previously (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=839.0), but hopefully I can bring some of my own experience to the table.

Where

I use this technique when commuting between fishing grounds that are +5 nm apart, or traveling to/from the club to the fishing grounds. When the sea conditions are not ideal and one needs to go a bit slower (less than 18 knots), why not take advantage of this and put a line out?!?! This technique can be used out in the shallows (10-15 m), between 15 and 50 m, and even in deeper waters (50-80 m).

How fast?
For me speed trolling means speeds between 12 and 18 knots. This is basically a bit bellow the cruise speed on my boat. It is obviously variable. It all depends on the boat and its handling conditions.

Species
I have caught wahoo, couta, dorado and yellowfin tuna whilst speed trolling. I'm sure other species such as prodigal son or barracuda can be caught as well. I've read reports of people catching billfish while speed trolling. For most pelagic species, +20 knots is easily achievable... that's actually what they do for a living!!!!

Tackle
This technique requires solid reels with good line capacity and strong, yet smooth drags. The bare minimum would be a Shimano Tiagra 30 WLRSA (or equivalent). TLDs or other plastic/graphite-framed reels will not sustain the pressures associated with trolling at those speeds or the sheer brutality of the strikes. I would recommend a 50W reel as the ideal. Short rods with a strong backbone is a must. Short bent butts are definitely a plus. Use at least 400m of 30 lb line - minimum! My recommendation would be 50 lb to 80 lb of good quality mono... No braid! Use mono to help absorb the initial impact of the strike, also braid is dangerous when peeling off at speed!!!! The whole setup must be balanced and the angler must be comfortable using it. A fighting chair or harness is not absolutely necessary, but nice to have.

Rigging
Speed trolling is all about raw, brute force. No finesse here! So, all components of the kit being used must be strong and well rigged. Cheap terminal tackle will simply not survive.

Strong hooks (+9/0 single or double) can be used. Use the brand you are most comfortable and confident with. Multi-strand wire is a must for two reasons: if any member of the razor gang is around it will cut through the mono leader like hot knife through butter (we have caught wahoo on mono before, but the hook was lodged in the corner and we were really lucky!); secondly it is best to use multi-strand instead of piano wire, as any kinking in the wire will immediately result in breakage and a lost fish.

This is artificial lure business. Live- or dead bait will not survive for long. Furthermore, the lures used must be bullet shaped. Bibbed lures (Rapalas, Halcos, Speedpros, etc), no matter how fast it reads on their packages, will not do the trick. Concave pushers and slant heads will also not work. Try to get a heavy headed lure with nice, long skirts or feathers. Volume is important, as it immediately gives the lure a larger profile.

Some of the lures I make and use

Color is not really important. Any combination with nice contrasts will do. I use blue/white, red/black, pink/blue, purple/black, etc.

A maximum of 2 m, 200 lb mono leader is what I use. A strong, good quality power swivel is crimped to the end of the leader.

A bullet shaped trolling sinker is another fundamental component of this kit. You can buy the ones available commercially or make them yourself. I make these. They are durable and work well.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Final thoughts
Run a maximum of two rods. One slightly longer that the other (between 20 to 30 m). One is fine and will catch fish, but one must maximize the chances of catching that lonely monster. More than 2 rods will probably cause some tangling and at those speeds it will probably result in lost tackle.

Make sure the rod holders are strong. Plastic rod holders will not survive, so use only proper stainless steel ones. Also, use vertical rod hoplders. The horizontal ones are good for slow trolling and drifting but the probability of losing tackle is high, specially when traveling in bumpy seas.

Don't forget to attach strong safety lines!!!

Here are some pics of fish we have caught using this technique. Some of these pics go back a few years  :rotfl

Give it a try and  :tite !

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 741
Re: John F's Hi-speed trolling
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 05:07:59 pm »
Great post! Stickied!  :+ cred:

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 76
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 07:29:20 pm »
Great post! Stickied:+ cred:
Tony...I reckon you should photoshop something there before sticking the post  :creep:

great post
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:29:44 pm by peterblace »

Offline John F

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 07:43:42 pm »
Tony...I reckon you should photoshop something there before sticking the post  :creep:

:hyst: you weasel you....

No need... the past is the past... we look into the future now  :uarocks

Eish... that mo... looking like Marciano  :crzy 

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 741
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 01:14:11 pm »

If you insist...  :hyst:

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 76
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 01:57:52 pm »

If you insist...  :hyst:
:hyst:
now Marciano is looking way better dressed

Offline isivuba

• Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 265
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 03:52:53 pm »
Geez only seeing this now, why do I always miss John F's best posts  :dunno:

Fantastic post going to give this one a try and  :+ cred:

Offline DJ

• Cred: 1
  • Never give up!!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 08:37:28 am »
I will definitely deploy this technique over this holiday at Guinjatta!!

Thanks  John

:wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo:
Skip DJ
Gemini 5.2
2 x 75hp Yamaha

Offline Werries

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 73
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 09:58:14 am »
Great post this !!
How far in front of your lures do you run that bullet shaped weight?
Only dead fish go with the flow...

Offline John F

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 10:52:09 am »
Thanks for the kind words guys. Give it a try!

The trolling sinker should be between 1.5m to a maximum of 2 m in front of the lure.

Offline isivuba

• Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 265
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 04:10:19 pm »
Do you make you own trolling sinker Marcos?  and if you do what mould did you use.....

Offline John F

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 05:30:35 pm »
Yeap... poured the lead myself... made a dummy with a pine dowel and then asked my dad to build a mould out of it using iron putty

But if you don't want to go through the trouble of pouring lead, you can use a few ball sinkers like the pics above.... they work well

Offline Shaun17

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 262
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 05:37:29 pm »
Do you make you own trolling sinker Marcos?  and if you do what mould did you use.....

I've got some sinkers from my Black Bart Wahoo kit if you want to make a mold from them when you're down in December...

Offline L Hooker

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 55
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 09:50:18 am »
Ive caught quite a few Wahoo using the fast trolling method, I bought some large lead cigar weights and made up a wire strand leader, swivel on one end and a clip on the other works a treat.

Offline John F

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 09:19:22 pm »
An hour long seminar on hi-speed trolling for wahoo specifically... very informative

Live Seminar: High-Speed Wahoo