Author
Topic: Butt Cat 685  (Read 523 times)

Online stephanhavenga

• Cred: 0
Butt Cat 685
« on: October 19, 2017, 10:02:38 am »
Hi

Is there anybody that has got one of these boats, especially the 685 sport fisher. There are two really nice ones for sale. They look like very nice boats, haven't been on one yet.
How do these boats compare to say a 21ft Yeld Cat, I know its not comparing apples with apples.
Weight of the rig, towing and launching(surf launching)?

Offline HooknCook

Re: Butt Cat 685
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 04:09:46 pm »
I have a 21ft Yeld so I dont want to sound biast, but a friend has a Butt 685 CC and to be honest you cant really compare the 2 from certain aspects. The Yeld is much better finished off product and will be more expensive and have better re-sale value etc. Ride quality they pretty similar boats and fairly dry for their size. The big deciding factor is workmanship! Sorry but his 685 is badly badly built and finished off and I personally was very surprised when I saw some issues on this boat. It has been in at another builder to sort stuff out and he is very worried about flotation etc, as the deck started to crack in places etc. Weight wise the Butt is lighter than the Yeld and you can get away with 90's if surf launching where as I think 100's would be minimum on the Yeld Cat.

To find a 21ft Yeld CC  isnt easy as they are scarce like hens teeth, this in itself says a lot about the boat! However do keep a look out, as their new 22 is about to start being built and a few chaps will be upgrading to this!

Also I see those 2 boats for sale are very new, I would dig deeper to find out why!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:12:56 pm by HooknCook »

Online stephanhavenga

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 08:14:20 am »
Thanks, that kind of the thoughts I had. was just curious as Butt Cats have a huge following in the Cape. I am a huge Yeld cat fan, we have 2 21ft in the family. That why I like to compare other boat to them.  sound like some serious problems that they have. I like the layout of the butt cat with the cabin, looks very comfortable. I am not per say looking to buy right know but its always nice no know your options if a deal comes around. The 22 sound like it could be awesome. Might just upgrade to that one :-) w;k

Offline HooknCook

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 05:34:10 pm »
If you serious, there is a 21CC on Gumtree just listed, not ideal Motors but you can change that!!

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 135
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 09:58:54 pm »
From my little experience, although I have fished from a couple them, the Butts are popular for fishing purposes because they are built solid.
They are not "show" boats but they do handle the rough Cape water very well. A lot of commercial guys use them because they are work horses. Generally, down here there are not a lot of surf launch spots so I can't comment on how they would handle that. Build to last and take a lot of abuse. Just my 2c.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:00:06 pm by SAfish »