Author
Topic: DSC requirement??  (Read 500 times)

Online dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 53
DSC requirement??
« on: October 10, 2017, 10:07:25 am »
Any concrete info regarding DSC, I have heard sooooo many conflicting stories, do we need the DSC course done for this years COF or not??
 Someone said that it will not even be ready next year!!!?? :dunno: :dunno:
Just Fish!!!

Offline HooknCook

• Cred: 0
Re: DSC requirement??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 11:00:13 am »
Well from what I see at our club, its has to be done for this years COF, however they are willing to issue provided you can supply proof of a booking for a upcoming course.

Offline MichaelK

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 50
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:08:07 am »
I was tierd of stressing about purchasing the equipment and doing the course.
So i just bit the bullet and complied.
Now no more stressing and i see so many others in my club where i was, in a state of denial.
Mate just go do the course.
Its seriously easy, the hard part is parting with your hard earned money for the DSC radio and Nema 2000 compliant finder if you dont have one.

Online dugong

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 08:36:31 am »
I just received confirmation from the club that it is not required this year, not worried about doing it, I actually booked but the guy has pulled the plug on the courses until next year which actually prompted the question.......I was told again that the whole system has been delayed, possibly by years :dunno:
Just Fish!!!

Offline marctrevenen

• Cred: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 09:27:31 am »
    SAMSA Marine  Notice 32 of 2016 provides information on this topic, which gives radio  carriage and radio certificate requirements for small vessels that fall under  the Merchant Shipping (National small vessel safety) regulations 2007. This  should answer any queries you might have. Below are a few extracts from the  document as I’m not sure how to attach a PDF in my message.
All vessels are required to carry radios under the safety requirements  of regulations, are to be equipped with a VHF marine radio by their first  annual survey after 1/1/2016.
Digital Selective Calling (DSC) – The current regulations do not make  provision for the carriage of DSC enabled radio equipment. These regulations  have been reviewed by SAMSA with a view to introducing DSC carriage to coincide  with the implementation of sea area A1 and the eventual switch off of the aural  watch keeping of VHS Channel 16 by the relevant authority. SAMSA will inform  the boating public and other concerned parties of the phase in period for the implementation  of these requirements.
Marine Radio Operator Certification – The Restricted Radiotelephone  Operators Certificate (RT) remains valid for the purpose for which it was  issued, i.e. the operation of a voice activated marine VHF radio only and is  acceptable for use on vessels equipped with marine VHF radios that have not  been DSC enabled.

Online dugong

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 10:13:27 am »
Yes thanks, that is how I understand it - this is the info that I think is going to be delayed -  "SAMSA will inform  the boating public and other concerned parties of the phase in period for the implementation  of these requirements"
Just Fish!!!

Offline La Niña

• Cred: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 12:25:31 pm »
I went out and just did the SRC radio ticket when this new law proposal came out a year or two ago and also fitted a radio with DSC, although the course is pretty easy i think if you fish anywhere along the treacherous  south african coast it is always best to have these safety measures on your boat irrespective if its law or not! At the end of the day this will be implemented one of these days so rather just get it done and dont get caught with your pants down if they decided all of a sudden to implement this.