Author
Topic: Replacing trailer leaf springs.  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Searaider

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 37
Re: Replacing trailer leaf springs.
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 04:16:25 pm »
One of my leaf springs broke on the beech in Moz. Lucky this did not happen at speed,I believe that the quality of trailer equipment in S.A. sucks.
Why do the bearings and springs often fail on trailers but very seldom on motor vehicles that are used almost daily.

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 64
  • vidalbum
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 08:02:07 pm »
Water ingress and axles that are no strong enough for the load they carry if your boat weighs one ton fit a 1.8 ton axle
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:03:24 pm by Rory mundy »

vidalbum

Online dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 53
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 09:09:21 am »
Personally I think Denso Tape is a waste of time and money. If water does get in, then it is trapped in there. I like to use oil and petrol mixed and then sprayed onto everything, let it rest for 2 hrs and re-apply. Once you. Ack from the sea, take a High pressure cleaner and prepsol and then spray it all off and give it a good amount of fresh water. And once dry I re do the oil/petrol mix.
Each to their own I suppose, lots of guys do the Denso thing down here and have never heard a complaint, if its done properly you will get 8 years+ out of them, my previous boats springs lasted 9 years and that was done with greased bandages :nuts: - the axel was like brand new where covered!!
The springs in the first post lasted exactly three years from brand new but should have possibly been changed at two (I was very lucky I got back from Jozini with that broken one) as they are now I am confident to travel for a number of years with only bearings to check. :rck"
Just Fish!!!