Author
Topic: My new sailfish 176  (Read 13298 times)

Offline deepblu

• Cred: 12
  • support catch and release, fish for tomrrow!!
Re: My new sailfish 176
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2017, 11:19:45 am »
hi Amadues what issues u got with layout

Offline Amadeus

• Cred: 0
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2017, 11:29:12 am »
So far I fitted Scottys on the rail at the back x 4. Then 2 on the hand rails on the side. I want to install permanent rod holders on the side. Not sure if this is recomended. I aslo tried to fit a small freezer on the deck, for keeping bait cool and so forth. Mooved it to the front and the back. It had the same effect front or back on the boat. Not sure if anyone tried something like this before? General layout on the boats will be helpfull, I know most of the time you want everything stowed away safe, so even concedering to build the fringe in. Then theres the option af a Braai on the deck, Some like it some dont. Will like to see what some of the guys did to perfect this.

Offline deepblu

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2017, 11:34:19 am »
permanent rod holder installed into gunwales isnt a problem. theres a few DIY guys on the forum sure they will share their ideas if u ask :hnthnt:

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 53
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2017, 04:43:19 pm »
The braai on the deck could be a good idea w;k👹
Just Fish!!!

Offline Amadeus

« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2018, 07:12:32 pm »
Well yes. So far Istalled two 115 Merc 4 strokes, Motor problem solved.
Repaired mud flaps on trailer and had re galv and fitted.
Numerous different ways of fish well drain plug sealing attemted, not sorted yet.

Overall boat performs like  dream now.

On the menu for 2018.

Rebuild traler axle (increase size and length)
Lift of floor, redo foam, additional fibre glass suports, Get rid of so called sealed hull. (Install drain plugs) complete redo of fish hatch drains as well as entry.

After that, hopefully have the ultemate boat

Offline HooknCook

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2018, 08:11:19 am »
Amadeus, that is a lot of work and money that you are willing to spend on a new Boat, just doesnt make sense to me.. Is it not easier to Pursue legal action and get your money back? He would then have to pay costs and you can then buy a boat that is built correctly!! The Consumer protection act will serve you well!

Offline bassbug

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 11
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2018, 11:13:05 am »
HooknCook, you 100% but i also much value Amadeus ways, a lesson to me

Offline Amadeus

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2018, 02:31:26 pm »
Well What I did is had a lookat other guys in simular situations, Not just with sail fish boats. Courte cases can take up to years to resolve, according to the counsumer act i must give the manifacturer the opertunity to rectify mistakes before I can take action.

So Motors I knew I wanted to go bigger, a geniun good opertunity cam my way that I couldn't resist. I actually took the motors in for proper service and setting and walked out with 2 new 115 4 strokes at less than two 80 would have cost me. (Did double check with a few supliers) This one I see as my problem, not the boat manifacturer.

Fish hatches not sealing, well I can alway pull the boat down to Durban to get it fixed. Or just do it up here and in my spare time. It doesn't leak that bad, but a leak is a leak.

The mudgards, well yes, poor manifacturing, but goulf not have been seen with the blund eye to to galvanizing. The fix with galvanizing didn't even cost me R300. Rather another fishing trip than a repair trip.

Trailer mods I want to do. I dont agree with the supplier with regards to sizing. Can take him to court on this, but will most probebly loose. The sizing is of minimum range. I want better

With hull lift and redo. I had a camera pushed into the hull and clearly its not up to standard. Once again. If i take the boat to the manifacturer he has the opertunity to fix it. Will he do it correct this time? Will he do it as fast as I want it done? and howmutch will it cost me? Two trips down at least, accomidation, food and so forth.

I further more got the feeling with this supplier that you can take a number and wate your turn, which looks like it will never happen.

In short IU will bite the bullet and get it over with. Theres nothing wrong with the boat. I know if I want to sell I will get piss poor price for it. So keep it and fix it. Take as many pictures as posible. the day you want to sell you can show what you have done.

But please do feel free to leave more comments, spesifkaly on the boat, if it was yours what would you do additionally

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 64
  • vidalbum
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2018, 08:34:42 am »
this will make me unpopular, but all we seem to learn about people that buy sailfish boats is that they dont listen or learn,  buy a new boat then strip and rebuild, most try new motors and the 2 years later after pulling out there hair sell the boat take a mighty knock and move on

sry sry sry sry sry sry sry sry sry sry sry sry
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:35:08 am by Rory mundy »

vidalbum

Offline Visenvryheid

• Cred: 8
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2018, 11:15:07 am »
Watching from the sidelines over the years, I'd have to agree with Rory...There has been more than a few threads over the years with guys crying about how their new brand boats made by the guys who makes these sailfish's, which are not safe to take to sea or made to inferior standards. The south african coastline is no place to take chances in an unseaworthy vessel, I'd steer so clear of a boatbuilder that ignores this as it is just ethically and morally wrong and seems to be an indication of their character. I don't care for being sued as I have a fakking good lawyer who happens to have lots of experience on the sea too. :)

To put it into perspective, me and a mate, who knows the sea and is an excellent skipper and comes from a boating family, lucky for me, anyways we bought an early 2000's aquamall made skicraft cat with old 40's with low hours. Except for us rolling it onto the concrete slipway instead of in the water on its maiden launch (who would have thought the rollers and trailer works so well for being so old haha and the hull and transom were made proper, the only thing that got a chip was the bottom of one gearbox and a prop and all was fine thank god!), and for issues from sitting unused for so long, it has given us only pleasure for more than two years since then and has been bloodied enough times..and the hull is as solid as the day it was made a decade and a half ago, the way a boat should be. Only now more than 15 years old are we considering to rip up the floor and reconfigure/updating console and redo bouyancy but will wait for winter, or next year, boat is fine and seaworthy as is. Cost us a fraction of a new sailfish.. What a joke this guy putting peoples lives at risk, threatening naysayers with legal action and being allowed to carry on (unless I missed something new at some point?)..What a joke..Like our prez, but a boatbuilder haha..bodyguards and all..
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:17:35 am by Visenvryheid »

Offline Umpa Lumpa

• The Ocean is my Haven!!!
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 117
  • The Big Blue Ocean is our Sanctuary
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2018, 11:34:21 am »
Makes one wonder, you go on tandvleisboom, and the first few pages are just  :sailf: boats wonder why? :dunno:

Offline Visenvryheid

• Cred: 8
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2018, 12:26:06 pm »
Ja, I just hope they are building safe boats now..if that oke really wanted to play lawyer lawyer with the wrong person or sell a shoddy boat to the wrong person, he'd be sitting in the chookie for attempted manslaughter..I wouldn't play law law games if I were him haha..Much better to just build proper boats and just charge people according, based on what it costs to build such a craft and make ones reputation as a craftsman like all the pioneers that came before did..You only get one reputation in life and you can't bully yourself into a different reputation either, one just gets the reputation as a bully in addition to the reputation you had before. Bullying customers or having the reputation for doing so is not good for business.

Offline HooknCook

« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2018, 07:48:18 pm »
Amadeus I hear what you are saying and do find some sympathy for you.

I hear your dilemma regarding downtime and all that, but you also have to be very aware for example that a 17ft boat should never need 115hp engines to power it, that is a sure sign that something is wrong!

I just think mabe a good start is a well written letter to Erwin Bursik notifying him of this nonsense that is going on. He at the end of the day promotes and advertises these Boats in his Magazine and perhaps he should put some sort of a article together and obtain a few facts from owners that have suffered significant loss of money and actually endangered their lifes! I think you should take pictures of all the faults and then chat to others and together submit a detailed letter to Skiboat Magazine!

Was there not a courtcase recently regarding this boatbuilder??
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:39:47 am by HooknCook »

Offline Amadeus

« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2018, 07:09:29 am »
HooknCook, I cant agree more that a 17ft boat should never need 115's. Here is the story about the motors. At the tome of purchasing I had 70hp Evenrude motors on my previouse boat. Its 1995 models Weighing in at a mear 113KG ea. This is one of the first issues Jerome made me aware of. At the end I did get the boat to plain with these motor's. Maximum speed however was at about 42 Km/h GPS speed. I wassn't happy with this. With the last attempt for setting motor correct I got a offer for the 115's and a cost of R6000 less than 80's. Planning was for two 80's, but with such a deal, well I could not resistThe 80's and 115's came in at a weight of 163Kg. I'm sure that is where the difference came in. And I think we all will agree that this is a bargain. And we all would have done it. I had her out to sea in the meantime. To be honest I'm redicoulesly overpowered. I run out the surf at a queter throtle.

With regards to Skiboat magazene. Well have you ever seen a bad report on any boat they have written. Iwent so far as to ask them what is the bad they saw in the boat, up to date no cemment from them. So mutch for that.

According to me there is a few casses against the manifacturer. And I'm trying to keep up to speed with them.

Here is what I found out so far.

Consumers act:

I need to notify the builder of my issues. He then has an x amount of time to react. If he doesn't they take the case on with him.
If he does, he has the opertunity to fix the boat. With this I also noticed that he is willing to fix all issues but the craftmanship is stil the same.
If I'm not willing to give him the opertunity, they can do almost nothing for me.

SAMSA:

They can inspect my boat, and give a full report, which I can submit to the manifacturer. He then has the opertunity to fix it. Same as above.

Then I sit in the situation. Walk the same path as all the rest. After years of mesary fix and sell the boat. Or Fix the boat enjoy it and then sell if needed.

Offline Shaun17

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 262
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2018, 11:31:16 am »

I just think mabe a good start is a well written letter to Erwin Bursik notifying him of this nonsense that is going on. He at the end of the day promotes and advertises these Boats in his Magazine and perhaps he should put some sort of a article together and obtain a few facts from owners that have suffered significant loss of money and actually endangered their lifes! I think you should take pictures of all the faults and then chat to others and together submit a detailed letter to Skiboat Magazine!

Already done that, he responded but claimed that their reviews are above deck, etc.... Pretty poor if you ask me. Haven't bought Skiboat Magazine since

Offline John F

• Cred: 512
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2018, 11:35:39 am »
Already done that, he responded but claimed that their reviews are above deck, etc.... Pretty poor if you ask me. Haven't bought Skiboat Magazine since

Why waste money on a mag that has been stale the last 25 years?!?!

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline deepblu

« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2018, 08:42:04 am »
Shaun I couldn't agree more. We unfortunately bought our boat based on his artical.  After all the issues we sent fully reports of all our issues to Erwin to this day in still waiting for his reply!!! Amadeus all I can say is you have a lot of patience a person shouldn't have to take a new boat back how many times and having to put 115's on a 17ft doesn't sound right. 2 90's push a 21ft yeld like a dream. If u had to add your time and total money spent you could have probably bought a 17ft yeld a decent boat. I dono how u feel safe in taking Jerome boats out to sea I would always be worried in the back of my mind!! I really think there should be a law put into place that boat builders have to follow they do it with car manufacturers and buildings. I really hope u find joy and happiness in your boat. If i could give u one word of advice take your boat to Nigel boats and have them redo it the right way they know what they doing. Good luck

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 43
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2018, 11:14:36 am »

I couldn't agree more. All our trade mags throughout SA are bought and paid for by their advertisers. There is very little in the way of independent editorial opinion. I'm in the timber industry and the only reason I ever read the various publications is to find out what new products are on the market. They're very good at putting the newly launched stuff in your face. I then go onto the intewebs to try and get an objective review of those products. The internet (although full of utter trash and fake info) is also full of good info, and it's become very easy to spot the fake news. That's why a forum like this is so valuable. If someone talks cr@p, they get blown out the water promptly. The internet, warts and all, is still the most democratic resource available.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.