Author
Topic: Break neck trailer brake system  (Read 326 times)

Offline Nooduck

• Cred: 6
Break neck trailer brake system
« on: December 06, 2017, 10:27:21 am »
The company I work for  bought a Kosi cat recently. The boss wants to take it to Moz in December and I  was tasked to check and fix everything.
The axle on the trailer was in bad  shape and they purchased a new axle and ball coupler from Burquip.
Fitting the new axle was no problem but  now the brake system is a challenge. It uses a 10mm threaded rod from handbrake  to the splitter where it connects with 2 cables.
What puzzles me now is how will braking  the trailer neck effect this "solid" brake system?
Any advise will be appreciated.

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 42
  • I fish, therefore I am.
Re: Break neck trailer brake system
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 10:45:05 am »
Deleted... Sorry, was a dof reply  :blush:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:55:16 am by FishStyx »
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 10:53:21 am »
Sorry, misread the question... I get it now. It's going to depend entirely on where the axis point is of the break neck.

Really close to the axle and it should be ok... Further fwd and you may need to convert to bowden cables or a secondary lever on an axle in line with the break neck axle.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:57:59 am by FishStyx »
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Nooduck

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 11:07:11 am »
Thank you for the reply.

Just waiting for welding to cool down and then going to fit it and see. :dunno:

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 11:13:41 am »
Come to think of it, all that will happen when the neck is broken is that the braking system will loosen. So you will just need a way to keep everything in place while it's in the broken position.

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 164
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 12:34:23 pm »
The coupler and brake system should be on the fixed portion of the trailer, the breakneck which tilts up should not be conneccted to the brake system
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 53
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 03:07:32 pm »
The coupler and brake system should be on the fixed portion of the trailer, the breakneck which tilts up should not be conneccted to the brake system
100%, not affected at all.
Just Fish!!!

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 03:29:50 pm »
Not all b/n trailers are the same... If it breaks on the same line as where the axle is (ie: on the same axis) then there is no change. My old Tomcat trailer hinged well in front of the axle so in effect, the distance between the coupler and the axle shortened when the neck was broken and the trailer was tipped. But either way, it should not affect anything as long as all the components revert to the correct place when the trailer is returned to normal position.

I didn't require brakes on my tomcat so wasn't ever presented with the dilemma.

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 05:50:17 pm »
Not all b/n trailers are the same... If it breaks on the same line as where the axle is (ie: on the same axis) then there is no change. My old Tomcat trailer hinged well in front of the axle so in effect, the distance between the coupler and the axle shortened when the neck was broken and the trailer was tipped. But either way, it should not affect anything as long as all the components revert to the correct place when the trailer is returned to normal position.

I didn't require brakes on my tomcat so wasn't ever presented with the dilemma.

hmm I don't quite follow that  :dunno: normally the front coupler and the axle are on the same fixed piece of the trailer, the pivot is normally somewhere close to the wheels, so when the bit with the boat on tilts it should have no affect on the brakes. :bow:     

[Just on brakes if you look at a lot of the trailers parked around KZN launch sites the brakes are not even connected, different rules I guess :hnthnt:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:52:39 pm by dodger »
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 06:00:58 pm »
The following pic for example... The pivot point is ahead of the axle. But it's a kinda academic argument because it really shouldn't have any impact on the braking system (provided you don't tear down the highway with the neck broken and try slam on brakes  w;k )

Image result for break neck trailer designs

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 06:13:58 pm »
The following pic for example... The pivot point is ahead of the axle. But it's a kinda academic argument because it really shouldn't have any impact on the braking system (provided you don't tear down the highway with the neck broken and try slam on brakes  w;k )

Image result for break neck trailer designs

/quote]

interesting, so where is the coupler sectio attached, I can't make it out from the pic

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 06:19:24 pm »
The hinge point is underneath on the cross member at the front of the padded slides. Possibly 600mm in front of the axle.

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 07:12:51 pm »
The hinge point is underneath on the cross member at the front of the padded slides. Possibly 600mm in front of the axle.

ok, the whole boat and breakneck section held on one central pivot, dunno if I like that, both wheels working against the central pivot  :dunno:

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 119
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 07:14:57 pm »
I know this is completely irrelevant .
But most Cape townians stay clear of break neck trailers .

There are a couple of reasons .

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 07:25:46 pm »
most Cape townians stay clear of break neck trailers .

Sorry for the major hi-jack Nooduck, but yeah Lenny... the Cape is so full of sheltered slip launches a b/n trailer borders on irrelevant.

@ Dodger... My current little boat has exactly that config. with the single draw bar and it's very effective and was simple to build, but I wouldn't do it with a bigger boat. It is supported laterally in the lowered position so there's no stress on the pivot area when underway.

To get back to the thread... Nooduck, please let us know how yours worked out.

Offline Nooduck

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 08:13:57 pm »
"Sorry for the major hi-jack Nooduck" - No problem at all!!
I'm almost finsihed with the trailer and just a few small things left to be done.
 I will post some pics tomorrow which will explain/reveal all.
I had to move the front locking nut on the brake rod forward so that it doesn't bind when you break the trailers neck. Trailer is like the one in FishStyx post.
This does not influence braking as it only works on a "pulling " motion when towing the boat. Took itt for a drive and works very well.
Tomorrow I have to paint new marineply wood boards and fit carpet on them, then some paint on the axle, reflectors , stickers, name tag and and finally load the boat again.
Next week is hopefully going to be a short working week, ok one day off, because I'm the only one with a skipers licence so I'll be testing the boat as well, probally on Bronkies dam :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:17:13 pm by Nooduck »