Author
Topic: Pulling plastic!!  (Read 7019 times)

Offline shagnrelease

• Banned
  • Cred: 0
Re: Pulling plastic!!
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2012, 10:01:50 am »
Shag suffers from "Permanent Heated Tip" syndrome ......  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
Rather inflammation than dripping!!  w;k w;k

Offline jaenswart

• Retired
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2012, 06:54:40 am »
Trevor,

Thank you for a very nice read and some awesome knowledge sharing on your part.

One thing I have learned is that everybody does it different...so never get personal in the game.

I would say Ziets is one of the best marlin captains SA have ever seen, and I have a lot of respect for his methods and lures too. Wasn't necessary to call him out in the article

Every Captain takes knowledge acquired elsewhere and applies it where he sees fit.

Time on the water is the most important factor to me.

Moving on... I think you have raised a number of interesting points in your article, most of which I agree with.

My question..have you changed these tactics and rigs in the last 4 year since writing the article, seeing the influx on stripeys and blue marlin into our waters?

Offline Reel Magic Charters

• Cred: 39
  • Are u up for it!
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 08:48:51 am »
Hi Jaen ya a few things have changed but not much..biggest thing is getting the lures to swim perfectly and this is where Johans speed and methods fall down completely. I fished in Ghana on 3 occassions with different operators and spent 2 weeks with Brian Mohally on Duyfken. On all the visits Johan performed poorly and hence my comment and the reasons for this are spelt out in the article. Its not personal its just an observation. He was also the only operator fishing his way up there and the best results were not coming from his boat so you gotta take note of that!
There was a lot written about his methods and a lot of people bought into it, including myself for a brief period. Trips to Hawaii and elsewhere proved these methods completely incorrect for Blue Marlin, and my subsequent results have proved the same. Just calling it as I see it!

The Marlin have always been around and its interesting that eveyone thinks this is new. The methods and boats we are applying to the job have changed drastically and the guys are fishing harder and longer and have learnt a lot recently and hence the increase in catches. Seasonality and a bigger presence of stripeys will have things changing year on year. Having water temp and sst charts has also helped predict where and when these fish arrive as this changes every year.
The only changes for stripeys would be strip baits which I seldom use, and smaller lures at the back of the spread. I want to do some bait and switch this next season to see if it will be more efffective but that remains to be seen !

Offline jaenswart

• Retired
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 09:05:14 am »
Hi Jaen ya a few things have changed but not much..biggest thing is getting the lures to swim perfectly and this is where Johans speed and methods fall down completely. I fished in Ghana on 3 occassions with different operators and spent 2 weeks with Brian Mohally on Duyfken. On all the visits Johan performed poorly and hence my comment and the reasons for this are spelt out in the article. Its not personal its just an observation. He was also the only operator fishing his way up there and the best results were not coming from his boat so you gotta take note of that!
There was a lot written about his methods and a lot of people bought into it, including myself for a brief period. Trips to Hawaii and elsewhere proved these methods completely incorrect for Blue Marlin, and my subsequent results have proved the same. Just calling it as I see it!

The Marlin have always been around and its interesting that eveyone thinks this is new. The methods and boats we are applying to the job have changed drastically and the guys are fishing harder and longer and have learnt a lot recently and hence the increase in catches. Seasonality and a bigger presence of stripeys will have things changing year on year. Having water temp and sst charts has also helped predict where and when these fish arrive as this changes every year.
The only changes for stripeys would be strip baits which I seldom use, and smaller lures at the back of the spread. I want to do some bait and switch this next season to see if it will be more efffective but that remains to be seen !

Thanks for the reply Trev....Where can I get sst charts for our North coast?

Thanks

• Are u up for it!
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 12:20:48 pm »
I subscribe to Bouyweather and receive 7 day forecasts as well as a ton of other info that is very helpfull. Costs around R400 a year and is worth every cent. You can pay by credit card and auto renew every year, just sign up..enjoy!

Offline jaenswart

• Retired
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2012, 12:22:46 pm »
I subscribe to Bouyweather and receive 7 day forecasts as well as a ton of other info that is very helpfull. Costs around R400 a year and is worth every cent. You can pay by credit card and auto renew every year, just sign up..enjoy!

I use bouyweather for weather. Do you find the sea temperatures to be accurate for our region?

Offline Slayer

• Cred: 6
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2012, 01:01:11 pm »
Funny, Shag suffers from horizontal queezie syndrome as well,
Shag suffers from "Permanent Heated Tip" syndrome ......  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Offline shagnrelease

• Banned
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2012, 01:05:04 pm »
Generally caused by a healthy lashing of captains and being forced to fish on a cork..... w;k

TUNAMAN

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2012, 01:12:03 pm »
It has been known to happen if one sprinkle the Captains to generously the night before I would blame the Cork however...... :hehe: :hehe:

Offline Slayer

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2012, 01:13:35 pm »
Generally caused by a healthy lashing of captains and being forced to fish on a cork..... w;k
Shagnrelease, gag and repeat was all I could hear..........on my cork.

• Are u up for it!
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2012, 06:04:15 pm »
Fishing is obviously very poor judging by the abuse being hurled about :hehe: ..Captains to sea..reports please..pronto!! (bat

Hey Jaen the weather is always tricky up north. Bouyweather is pretty accurate but beware the south westerlies they always seem to under forecast the changes when they call light southerly. It always arrives with more gusto!!
Bottoms up Shag :frid

Offline jaenswart

• Retired
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2012, 06:11:49 pm »
Focus Trevor :-)  the sea temperatures...are they accurate LOL

• Are u up for it!
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2012, 08:26:55 pm »
Very except they are retro ie the day before and cloud cover is a problem sometimes and prevents sat. diagnosis. Still a great tool for checking the temp breaks

Offline shagnrelease

• Banned
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2012, 09:14:22 pm »
I cant seem to get any sst or any info actually on this system for north of mapelane?? is this right or am I doing it wrong!~!

• Are u up for it!
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 07:35:39 am »
Just went on and got all the info past Maputo, so something is wrong? Do u subscribe? Without subscription u wont get the detail. If u do then go back to the virtual bouy page choose Africa, south africa and choose your forecast area ie put cursor there, then 7 day forecast and then on the left column sst...good luck
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:36:28 am by Reel Magic Charters »

• Are u up for it!
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2012, 02:39:57 pm »
Have written an article for Ski boat magazine on the "Thermocline" off Richards Bay, which will be great reading for all looking for better results and will go hand in hand with the Pulling Plastic article and ensure the boat is in the correct area. The article will come out in the Nov/ Dec issue. Will post it here once it has gone into circulation. Looking forward to the comments! w;k 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:42:29 pm by Reel Magic Charters »

Offline skipsch

• Junior Marlin Hunter
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2012, 09:27:20 pm »
 :tkx: Im so eager to read it, I will probably go buy the magazine...
"We often discover what will do by finding out what will not do; and probably he who never made a mistake never made a discovery." ~ Samuel Smiles

Offline skip

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2013, 11:47:46 am »
Awesome post Reel Magic.

This forum has proved to be an awesome resource and wealth of information thanks to guys like you. In fact so much so that I have stopped buying that fishing advertising magazine called ski-boat purely because of this forum. As a result I did not purchase the Nov/Dec issue and missed your article on the thermoclines. May you post it here?

• Are u up for it!
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2013, 07:22:42 am »
Will do so!! -  :rotfl :hyst: Advertising magazine!! :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: