Author
Topic: Vidal Info  (Read 318 times)

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 78
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
Vidal Info
« on: October 11, 2017, 09:57:33 am »
The kid's plans for the December "time off" seems to have gone a wee bit South as he initially wanted to "Drive Moz"

I know it's late, perhaps too late, nonetheless, is there any proper info (current) regarding accommodation in Vidal that some  of you oke's here are aware of?

Requirements: The wife Boss wants to go with, so there needs to be some sort of Chalet that's not rustic, and the kid wants a camp site (spot) if possible close to the mentioned chalet.

I have never been there, not sure about the whats, the wheres and the hows? I know there's some resident Vidal's here so please be so knid as to assist?

Thanx
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper, and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 35
Re: Vidal Info
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 11:53:18 am »
I have not stayed at Vidal, but have heard the chalets are rustic. The camp site looks OK. We stay in St Lucia (in reasonable accommodation - timeshare), and regularly drive up to Vidal

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 741
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 01:44:12 pm »
The Chalets at Vidal are definitely rustic. Log cabins that vary in degrees of upkeep.  A bit rough for the ladies, but still a magical place to take the family. If you haven't booked already for December I doubt very much you'll get in, they normally book a year ahead during December.
Next best bet is, as Ian says, St Lucia.
The Camp site is far from the cabins. Some nice sites, but a peak season communal ablution block will certainly earn you some divorce papers...

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

Offline bassbug

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 11
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 03:32:45 pm »
all the above is spot on LGF, if i had to do vidal it be in a tent, lekka stuff. watch those monkeys, it's the mafia i tell you. your boss could enjoy the creature comforts of take-aways, restaurants or even a visit to a hair stylist, all in st lucia. for the man of the house, a few drinking holes and tackle stores at the village. all these things can be done to late hours of the evening, no curfew. i'll be at vidal end of november, will tell much later

Offline MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 190
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 03:58:50 pm »
 :hyst: ... mafia got nothing on those monkeys , they in a league of there own ... :Like:

Offline sardinella

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 23
  • I like to spinfish
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 06:29:11 pm »
December does not do Vidal justice. Chalets definitely rustic and campsite far removed from chalets. Overcrowded in December and all resources like water etc under pressure. Also long waiting times at the gate.

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 06:41:08 pm »
Thanx for the info guys, just read it out loud, the Boss well, uhm, lets just say she’s not smiling!
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper, and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline Werries

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 73
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 06:47:09 am »
You kinda have to part of the Vidal illuminate to find a Camping spot at Vidal from end November to mid January. One of the most difficult places to get a reservation...due to the amount of campsites(50) and its popularity. However it still is ( for me) the best place on earth. I've been going to Vidal for over 40 years. Over Decembers the sites are crowded cause the parking is a bit of a problem as almost every second camper has a second vehicle with a boat...but we tolerate and manage just fine. I'll be setting up camp end November this year till 4 January.

Cabins are rustic, and as Reefman said in different states of renovations. But some of them that has been fixed up are fine. Just very expensive for what you get but you pay for the setting I guess. You will most probably still get a reservation for December due to the high rates people book and either shorten their stay or cancel completely ... contact bookings@kznwildlife.com to find out.

Beaches are not that crowded, if you compare it for instance with Sodwana or Ballito...but on public holidays they are. Although it will never look like Durban or the likes on Christmas or new years day due to the high day visitors fee that keep the masses out. When coming in from St Lucia as a day visitor you have to move early and fall into the line at the gate as they only allow 120 cars a day. You might find yourself sitting in the queue for an hour or 2 if you're a late riser.

When camping with small kids please be carefull as spotted hyena have moved into the area and are regular visitors now at night in camp as the camp is not fenced. I have walked into them twice at night when on my way to the loo...lets just say I didn't have to go anymore after that.
Leopards are regular visitors and are quite a common sight but they never posed a problem or threat at all...there is enough natural food for them.
Monkeys, ........eish. Like they said in previous replies. Just keep doors and windows at cabins closed at all times because they will even enter the cabin when you are inside if they see foodstuffs on the kitchen counter.

Otherwise, if you've never been it should be on your bucket list. It's a magical place. Fishing is normally good if you read the waters and have some knowledge of the areas to fish . Good snorkelling normally,... just please be very vigilant when the tides are changing as the rip-current out of the bay is extreme sometimes and I have witnessed numerous tragedies over the years. Swim where the rest of the crowds swim and you'll be fine...

Only dead fish go with the flow...

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 09:48:49 am »
Thanx for the info Guys, really appreciate it very much. Spoke to the Boss and the Kid last night and, well let's see where we'll be joining the Kid for the short time that he has off from work........