Author
Topic: Thermocline! The "invisible" Marlin Magnet!  (Read 7136 times)

Offline Eddie Moz

• Cred: 3
Re: Thermocline! The "invisible" Marlin Magnet!
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 07:36:04 am »
There is so much interest shown in this article, that I am wondering if a workshop on this section would be viable?
If things don't change, they remain the same.

Offline skip

• Cred: 0
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 12:20:58 pm »
There is so much interest shown in this article, that I am wondering if a workshop on this section would be viable?

I couldn't agree more. It's these things that make an average angler into a great one.

Offline Reel Magic Charters

• Cred: 39
  • Are u up for it!
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 05:17:05 pm »
Thx for the nomination guys its so nice to be writing about something i love in the sport rather than the things that I despise. Working an area with bait is essential as these fish do not feed all day so being patient is important. Even when its on it can be frustrating. Looking into the water for signs of flying fish and other things like birds and any sign that there may be life in the area is so important and will give you confidence to stay there. One things for sure if there has been a strike in the immediate area, then stay close because there is bound to be another fish close by. If you see a fish on the echo just keep working the area and it will happen.
The good thing about being out on the water regularly is that you see the changes in temp, colour and current and pic up patterns that you cannot on one day visits a week. The ocean is ever changing and even if there is no wind or heavy weather the current can move in or out and change the situation completely in a 8 hour period.
So much so that the fish move out the area completely overnight.
Having said that though there are always areas that produce better than others so experience in an area is key.
These fish dont swim around aimlessly looking for a meal they will be where there is food.
Fire some questions and Ill try to answer!   

• Are u up for it!
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 05:30:28 pm »
Superb article, please post pic of lure. White/red/blue ???

Colour of lure is not as important as having the lure perform properly with a good rig setup and sharp hooks. I am totally against chain gangs and sloppy hooks on cup faced lures that are not keel weighted. A bad rig will cost you big time on hookups. We miss fish too but on average i have a greater than 50 % hook up to landing ratio and over the last 10 days fishing we didnt drop a fish going 10 for 10 and this is why we had three fish in this years SADSAA, they all stuck! Hope I havent poxed myself for the next outing  :hehe:

Offline fedu

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 70
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 08:36:10 pm »
Hi Trevor,

Can´t see the images of your article, it says "sorry, you are not allowed to view this file. Make shure you are connected to the server" could you please re-upload ?

thanks,

fedu

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 77
  • dis lekker by die see...
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 11:42:11 pm »
Hi Trevor,

Can´t see the images of your article, it says "sorry, you are not allowed to view this file. Make shure you are connected to the server" could you please re-upload ?

thanks,

fedu
I see it just fine,must be a problem on your side... :dunno:
Always be humble...

• Are u up for it!
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 07:18:58 am »
Hi Trevor,

thanks,

fedu

Hope u got it sorted as its showing this side. Let me know if you need any more info and thx for an awesome comp. plse pass regards to Nico and his contact details would be appreciated. Cheers Trev

Offline fedu

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 70
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 10:02:21 am »
I've finally seen the pictures and I now think I know what's my problem.

On previous boat I had a Lowrance HDS10 with an 1Kw M260 transducer and being new generation digital (allthou not chirp) the sensivity of the system was great, I could see schools of bait on 350 meters of water, probably near the thermochline , every time I would see them I would work that water and eventually get the bills (if all the other conditions where there, temp and so on)

On the new boat I have an analog Raymarine e120 with a DSM300 and a 1Kw transducer also but sensivity is lousy, tryed upgrading to a CP300 (digital non chirp) but could not get it to work it arrived one week before Lobito comp, so went back to the Analog DSM300.

Will try to get it to show me a window of the upper 150 meters and manully increase the sensitivity to monitor the thermochline also, but not used to Raymarine stuff so it will take time and will be a trial and error thing.

Nico has registered on this forum, I'm sending you a PM with his mail also, if you have facebook account we will be in touch also. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:02:44 am by fedu »

• Are u up for it!
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 12:07:26 pm »
All good - pity I could not get on board and set it all up for you, but time was a problem. The e120 is a good system once tuned in and will do the job well. There have been some problems with the DSM module losing signal so hope yours is ok. Let me know if you need some info or better still get me up there to help you ha ha. 

• Are u up for it!
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 09:52:38 am »
Was such a great experience fishing off Lobito and seeing how well defined the thermocline was in the area and how much it coincided with the location of the fish. The more I have travelled the more ingrained the principle has become and the more I believe this phenomena is present in all locations no matter the water temp or current situation. I have yet to travel to a location where the equipment has been up to scratch and not found it.
There are so many locations around the world where the equipment is poor and the skippers are totally unaware of what they are missing, especially when fishing the drop off from 100-500m.