Author
Topic: John F's DIY: Small Tips & Tricks  (Read 19423 times)

Offline fish4fun

• Cred: 14
Bait preparation - cleaning
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2017, 08:21:17 pm »
Not sure if this has been mentioned before on this topic, but rock and surf fishing involves preparing bait. preparing bait leaves slimy, slippery , bloody residue on your hands which dirties your tackle and interferes with your casting. Using a car chamois, obtainable at a low cost, place it in your water bucket. When wet, it strips bait residue and mess off your hands like nothing else, much better than a towel, T shirt or - shudder - your shirt and shorts. Before casting, wring out the chamois and, once dry, use it to dry your hands ...for some reason it really dries out your hands and allows you to grip your rod and control your reel very well and eliminates slippage and mess. Once at home, it does get a little funky if not cleaned- just leave it in a bucket with water and diluted bleach overnight - good as new!  :brnz:

Offline John F

• Cred: 512
Re: John F's DIY: Small Tips & Tricks
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2017, 09:39:48 pm »
It certainly wasn't mentioned before... thanks! Your tip doesn't sound very practical for offshore use, however I'm sure the R&S gang will make good use of it.

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline John F

• Cred: 512
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2017, 12:28:07 pm »
Bringing back the shine on rusted S/S tools

Every saltwater angler worth its salt, knows that all s/s tools (be it knifes, pliers, etc.) will rust... it actually starts were it reads "Stainless" :hehe:

The rust spots accumulate and suddenly the tool looks terrible and ends up in the dust bin. My diving knives were almost going in that direction. Luckly, I don't have a diving shop nearby. So I made a plan. Used vinegar (synthetic, the cheapest I could find). Submersed my knives in a bottle of water for 24 h. Used steel wool to scratch the rust away. Some stubborn stains required extra time in the vinegar.

Job's done and tools are ready to work for a few more years. And I saved some cash for fuel or extra tackle :hyst:

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline Serra Moz

• Cred: 12
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2017, 01:39:38 am »
Thanks for sharing
Happy days!