Author Topic: Marine maps  (Read 892 times)

Offline gerriecpt

• Cred: 0
Marine maps
« on: May 12, 2022, 09:56:25 AM »
Hi all. I am new to the forum and was hoping that someone can assist me, or point me in the right direction.

I have a oldish Lowrance Fishfinder/GPS unit. I would like to load maps onto it (Navionics or somethin similar). I know the Navionics gold is compatible and I have confirmed this with Lowrance but you cannot get it in a 1GB sd card. I know how Navionics copy protection works, but I cannot find an image of a card ( and the CID) anywhere. I also cannot find a second hand card to buy

I have also looked at OpenSeaMap from where you can download AT5 files. I cannot get Gpsbabel to convert this though. Seeing that AT5 is a Lowrance format, maybe I should just try using it directly on the device.

I would like to get a solution. I am willing to spend some money if I can make it work. At this stage I am not willing though to spend R20/30K on a new unit, maybe in a few years time I will. Need to get my kids through University first :)

Any help is greatly appreciated. By the way, I am an engineer so I can get technical if needed.

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
Re: Marine maps
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 02:22:27 PM »
 :welc: Gerrie  :uarocks :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 05:56:50 PM »
Hi Gerrie and welcome to UA  :welc:

I was in a similar situation but ultimately, I gave up on trying to get maps onto my unit and used my tablet instead. The tablet had far better clarity (resolution) as well as general functionality. I'm a bit miffed now tho... After having bought the Navionics Asia and Africa package for tablet (about 5 years ago), recently its no longer usable and I am told that I will have to buy a new package. Anyway, I dumped everything Lowrance (I don't really like their approach to business) and will be installing something else on my next boat... Possibly Simrad.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Johnny Earing

• Cred: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 07:16:33 AM »

Anyway, I dumped everything Lowrance (I don't really like their approach to business) and will be installing something else on my next boat...

+1

Offline Slim Dusty

• Cred: 5
  • One Life, Fish it!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 11:41:58 AM »

Heads Up……

Simrad and Lowrance were both owned by Navico, which was recently bought out in December 2021 by Brunswick Corporation.
Same, Same, but different!

:zipit:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 11:47:03 AM by Slim Dusty »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal