Author
Topic: Daiwa Saltist BG 40H AR Upgrade  (Read 732 times)

Offline FLNEL

• Cred: 0
Daiwa Saltist BG 40H AR Upgrade
« on: May 01, 2018, 06:16:58 pm »
Is there a Shimano roller clutch (with the better springs) that will fit my Daiwa Saltist BG 40H star drag reel?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:18:35 pm by FLNEL »

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 753
Re: Daiwa Saltist BG 40H AR Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 07:04:10 am »
The newer Daiwa BG spinning reels have the metal springs, but not sure whether they will fit the Saltist.

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 10
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 07:35:03 pm »
The BG multipier Dr W....

To the OP: have you experienced failure that you could ascribe to the AR bearing?
BG star drag reels have a back up dog-and-pawl anti-reverse set up...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 07:54:05 pm by fishatic »

Offline FLNEL

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 08:05:31 pm »
The BG multipier Dr W....

To the OP: have you experienced failure that you could ascribe to the AR bearing?
BG star drag reels have a back up dog-and-pawl anti-reverse set up...

No, have not experienced failure, but the bearing is small and has a "bouncy" feel to it, it does not inspire confidence. I've even tried running it completely dry of any lubes, still the same. I'm used to instant AR's that have a solid locking feel to them.

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 10
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 08:57:25 pm »
Could be wrong, but the bouncy feel is more likely due to the handle design, not so much the bearing.
Whilst being a counter-balanced design, it is not a truly a balanced set up, the ONLY balanced set up for a handle is a double paddle where each side weighs exactly the same as the other and the centre-to-handle distances are equal on both sides, but this is not exactly popular with surf fishers, especially down here....
Out of interest, are you using it for shore based fishing in Florida, or more off shore?

Offline FLNEL

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 09:25:09 am »
Ok, I just got a chance to handle another one of these, exact same model, and it feels much better. Mine no doubt has a defective roller bearing. I read somewhere that a better quality Shimano roller would fit, but I don't know which one. Oh, BTW, this is a Saltist BG 40H, it is not a balanced handle at all, it comes with a power handle.

I bought it for pier fishing, it casts very well and retrieves rigs extremely fast. Just haven't hooked anything large yet since it's been mostly on the workbench while I try to resolve this roller issue.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 01:52:52 pm »
So been doing some research on these Roller bearings...

The bearing size for the BG is the same as for the old Saltist. If your reel is new, I would take it back to the dealer to have the bearing replaced. Have had my Saltist's (several old silver one's) for over 10 years now and have never had an issue with any of their AR bearings, never even had to replace one yet! You must have got a dud.

So anyway... took the AR bearing out of my silver Saltist and measured the plastic cage... don't want to remove the metal cover out of the reel side plate - that will damage it.
Measurements are 12.5 x 17 x 7.7mm for the plastic cage, probably 12.5 x 18 x 8mm including the metal cage.

You have some great bearing places there in the States, like this one: https://www.nationalprecision.com/needle-bearings/roller-clutch.php.
They unfortunately don't stock that size though.
These guys supply AR bearings with plastic springs or metal springs... but all AR bearings are sold with the metal cage, which means you'd have to remove the metal sleeve from your reel and risk a bit of damage to the bearing. I'm sure if you searched around a bit, you could find that size bearing with metal springs in the USA.

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 02:34:40 pm »
So for interests sake, I found the Saltist AR-bearing online in Thailand.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=th&u=http://www.fishingth.com/%3Ftype%3D%25E0%25B8%25A5%25E0%25B8%25B9%25E0%25B8%2581%25E0%25B8%259B%25E0%25B8%25B7%25E0%25B8%2599&prev=search

The bearing is stamped from the KOYO company, made in Singapore and the number is EWC1208F

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline FLNEL

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 12:35:35 am »
Thanks Reefman!