Author
Topic: yeld Cat 17 foot  (Read 1040 times)

Offline victorino

• Cred: 0
yeld Cat 17 foot
« on: April 24, 2018, 10:01:46 am »
Morning good people.

I would like more info on this boat i am interested in( Yeld cat 17 foot ). The current owner says it is a Jurgens yeld cat. As i am new to the boating/offshore angling scene ,i have limited knowledge on this topic.

Anyone have such a boat? or info on it,such as ride quality,stability,etc.

Will post pics in due date.

Any info or pics of guys with similar boats will be appreciated.

Cheers :cnfzd

Offline maganything

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 66
  • I'd rather be fishing
Re: yeld Cat 17 foot
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 11:21:41 am »
give us a bit of info.

Year, motors etc.

I love yelds, they are the best made boat on the market and the 17ft is said to be the best riding of all yelds, but the year of the hull will enable us to give you better feedback.

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 65
  • vidalbum
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 12:17:36 pm »
stay away from the jurgens built yelds they not great and it means its seriously old

vidalbum

Offline victorino

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:31:48 pm »
Hi Rory

Yes you are right in saying its an old boat ,but what is the difference between this boat and more modern Yeld cats?
The owner does not know the year make but the boat is still in good condition.I have checked the hull inside and the wood that is covered by fibreglass in the hull is not rotten. The motors are 75 Hp mariners 2 strokes , year model? But i think they are 1989 models.
the serial number on the transom bracket is OB 373448 and 9537723 , hours not known , but still run good . No rattling or funny noises on the motor or lower sections. What do you guys think? the guy wants 75 K for the boat.
I am thinking of buying it due to fact i will only be using it weekends and when i go on holiday to Angola. As a project that i am undertaking to fix the minimal work to be done do you think it is worth it?
Will do a compression test ,etc on the motors tomorrow . will let you know.

thanks guys ,i appreciate your input.

Cheers

Offline John F

• Cred: 514
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 03:57:52 am »
Old boat...wood that looks dry, and strong... been there, done that. Very soon you'll hve to open that deck and get rid of the wood, including rebuilding the transom.

Walk away,  if you are not prepared for the burden of rebuilding. Plenty of Yelds in the market.

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline tkei

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 89
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 08:15:55 am »
The jurgens yelds were built from around 1982 or so till late 80's maybe early 90's latest i guess. So she is old, and the engines at late 80's seems to match that, so its a 30yr old rig.
As Johnf says, wood looks good, on the sections you can see, up at the top of the members, down below they will be vrot.
we had a jurgens 17ft yeld from 85 to early mid 2000's. they ride well 3 up, or 2 adults 2 kids. The gunnels and transom are very low (actually dangerously) low as at the back they are maybe 150mm high at max.
The newer ones are much higher.
75k is IMO overpriced for a boat and hull thats 30yrs old.  I saw on gumtree a z-craft 16 (pre kingcat) with yamaha 60's for about 100k. Much newer as its early 2000's i recon. Engines are same same as the current 60's, hull much newer etc etc.
Keep Looking. The economy is tight, there will be plenty boats for sale as luxuries must go, and winter so people flog what they not using.

Offline John F

• Cred: 514
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 08:17:37 am »
In terms of how it rides.... it's a Yeld... no faults there.

A friend at the club here in Maputo rebuild one from scratch and if you look in boat gallery he posted a vid about the process. Use the search function

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline victorino

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 08:50:00 am »
Thanks Gents

will keep you posted. Tight lines.

cheers
 :tkx:

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 09:05:25 am »
I'm with the others on this... 30 years is old in terms of boats that have timber buried in f/glass... But that being said, there's nothing wrong with the idea of the "project boat", provided you realise that it's always exponentially more work than anticipated... The old domino theory applies here. As you start getting under the veneer, more and more rot is exposed. I discovered this at a very early age when I bought a 36' yacht at the ripe old age of 24... I never managed to get it back on the water but it was school fees well spent.

As for motors, I personally avoid old motors like the plague... But that's just me.

Good luck Victorino... It's always fun looking for a new boat. And  :welc:
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 65
  • vidalbum
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 01:13:35 pm »
 a friend that helped us with the JHB to sea cycling race last weekend is selling his 16 foot invader with 2 60yammies on and he wants 50k so that yeld sounds a bit pricey.

vidalbum