Author
Topic: Spots around PE that are working?  (Read 782 times)

Offline Bubbles

• Cred: 0
Spots around PE that are working?
« on: April 12, 2018, 06:49:18 pm »
Hi Gents, ladies or all those undecided.

My first post here although I've read a good deal thus far.

Nice to be on the forum and hoping to gain some help if possible.

I am looking to fish in and around PE up and down the coast. I want to be brutally honest here. I'm looking to get to the right spots and not waste my time up and down learning the areas manually, been there done that... it just takes too long for the very limited amount of time I can allocate to fishing unfortunately, work being my ruler sadly.

Please guys, is it possible to share info with me or hook up and go fish or something? It's been a while since I have hit the water as I just simply dunno where to go YET.

Much obliged

Offline TerenceTurnbull

• Cred: 0
Re: Spots around PE that are working?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 10:26:24 pm »
Dear fishing guruís
I am fishing with the Defence Gauteng Rock and Surf team in Port Elizabeth. Could any guru pls give us some tips on which fishing spots we could try through the this week?
Criteria: Car safe
             Fit for more than 15 Anglers
             Edibels and Non Edibels one of the other or both
             Preferable bait?
I really appreciate the assistance.
Ps and tackle shops that a soldier could afford😉.

Offline ades

• Cred: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 08:47:17 am »
I can't offer much about spots as I have only been here for a short space of time and have not caught anything that could raise an eye brow. In terms of tackle shops. I visited Trophy Tackle Den recently. It's is a brilliant shop, very well priced and their bait freshness is insane. They guys at the shop answered every single question I had (I had more than 1 to say the least :hyst: ).

There is commercial marine at the harbor and Alcocks along Cape Road as well.

Offline Visenvryheid

• Cred: 17
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 09:50:29 am »
Ja terrance, commercial, alcocks and trophy tackle den...Alcocks and trophy should put you on the fish, commercial probably has best prices. Why not hire a guide to show you around for the week? I know of guides that spend half their time guiding competitive teams..Ja to bubbles, visit the tackle shops and ask them, I don't know PE spots but there is a google earth spot file somewhere on the net with all the spots marked, likewise the fishing in Ecape very dynamic and changing as the wind does..you'll  (un)fortunately have to put in the time to figure it all out. Fishing in this part of the world can be very rewarding so take the time.. :)

http://www.fishtrack.com/fishing-charts/south-africa_58689

snapshot from 2 days back, bay warm, wildside cold, but things would have changed from then already considerably..
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:52:10 am by Visenvryheid »

Offline phumba72

• Cool Beans
  • Cred: 5
  • Can't wait
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 09:10:44 am »
Hi there,

I just came back from a Easter holiday trip down there. Spent most of my time in Plett but drove through to PE to visit a mate of mine who is into fishing. So how was the fishing?

In PE the hot spot is at the mouth of the Gamtoos river - this is what all the local Gurus' told me. A bit far to drive so we didn't go this way. However, I was told of a closer place where the fishing is very good - Blue Horizon Bay. About 20ks outside PE, follow the signs and keep left when you enter the area and park at public parking bay. Very safe and there is a community hall on the beach. Big public parking area. As you walk on the beach you will see a barbed wire fence on your left and the bay in front of you. There are two sand banks either side of the bay and deep water in the middle. We walked to the right about 100 meters and fish in the channel before the sandbank. Water was lovely and working over the sand bank.

Baited up with sardine fillet inside out. Within 10 minutes a steenbras but undersize, so released it, then a sandshark, the a small shark, another steenbras which was not size. In between three puffer fish. The tide was pushing in and a south wind picked up. At around 6 pm, a shoal of shad must have came into the bay as we caught two in quick succession, a spotted grunter a bit later and then a few blacktails. We assumed the shoal of shad swam off as the blacktails where back in full force.

We left after seven in the dark. Very safe, very good fishing but we were lucky with the incoming tide. The next day we went to Summerstrand just to the right of the surfing beach by the pipeline. There is a rocky ledge there. Caught a nice Wildeperd and then got stuck into something really big. Peeled off line and then went and reefed me off the ledges. A few smaller fish were also landed but nothing substantive. Was really good sport, safe and clean. thoroughly enjoyed the time spent fishing.

Hope this helps.
Did a lot more fishing off Keurboomstrand. Water very nice there a some big channels and working water. Caught a number of shad, eagle rays and one of the guys managed an 18kg kob on squid. Fishing was very good with a number of different species caught.