Author
Topic: Kingies and wave garrick on fly in Moz  (Read 728 times)

Offline Nick A-S

• Cred: 9
Kingies and wave garrick on fly in Moz
« on: March 27, 2018, 02:41:47 pm »
Last week I went up to Ponta Mucombo in Mozambique with some mates for a few days of boys fishing. Ponta Mucombo is between Ponta Chemucane and Santa Maria and is an awesome part of the world. Most of the other guys planned to do the bulk of their fishing off surf skis but my intention was to flyfish mostly or use my spinning rod if conditions didn’t make the fly rod a good option. I had tied up plenty of flies with the plan of predominantly targeting the various kingfish species and wave garrick, depending on tides and conditions. From prior experience of fishing that part of Moz, whether flyfishing or spinning, I have found that the fish up there tend to enjoy green/chartreuse lures or flies, and as such the majority of the flies I tied were clousers or charlies in those colours.

After a sunny start when we got to our camp on Wednesday afternoon, the weather wasn’t great last week, with rain, wind and big surf for most of Thursday and Friday, before it cleared up again for a good last day on Saturday. Unfortunately for the guys on their skis it meant that Thursday and Friday weren’t feasible for them to get out but from the shore, but while strong winds always make flyfishing interesting I got out there for a few sessions every day. With high tides over those days around the same time as sunrise, and then again at sunset, my plan was to target the kingies at those times. When the tides were a bit lower during the day, the plan was to wade out on to the banks to target wave garrick, given that they don’t seem to be as fussy about eating at dusk and dawn as the kingies are. When the sun comes out it is also often possible to see the wavies swimming in the waves and “sight fish” for them rather than casting blindly. Luckily things generally went as I had hoped over the few days. The two days of rain prevented any sightfishing for the wavies on those days, but the Saturday was perfect for that. The kingies were quiet in the evenings but were out hunting in full force on the high tides at first light and I had a great few days chasing them and catching some. None of them were too big but all great fun on fly gear and I probably got around 10 in the end – mostly big eyes but also some gt’s and blacktips as well. There were plenty of wave garrick around and I got lots, including some nice ones up to 50cm fork length. I also got a few kingies on my spinning rod – using my tried and tested green glow iron candies and couta casting spoons.

The other guys finally had a good day out on their skis on Saturday and got quite a few couta which was great, but also all got amongst the kingies with spinning gear from the shore when they couldn’t get out to sea. Despite the weather, it was another great trip up to one of my favourite parts of the world. Attached are a few pics of some of the fish I got on fly.

Offline CRANKMAN

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 50
Re: Kingies and wave garrick on fly in Moz
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 03:02:35 pm »
Thanks for the report. Sorry the weather didn't play ball.
}<(({'>

Online colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 03:28:14 pm »
 :tkx:  Great reading  :bow: :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 753
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 03:38:38 pm »
nice report!

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 04:09:36 pm »
Good stuff!

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 01:13:33 pm »
Lekker stuff mate. Thanks for the report. One of these days I'd like to learn how to fly fish.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.