Author
Topic: Plett advice please  (Read 226 times)

Offline daveb

• Cred: 0
Plett advice please
« on: December 07, 2017, 01:53:42 pm »
Hi,

I'm a keen angler from the UK and visiting Plett area for a month next February. I did stay there last year so am not a total novice regarding the area but my fishing was restricted to spinning in the lagoon and river with limited success. This time I'm keen to do some shore fishing from the open beaches in the area, I'll bring all my reels and traces etc. but will probably buy a second hand or budget 14ft surf rod when I get out there which I will either sell or give away at the end of my holidays. Can anyone suggest a type/make of rod (for fixed spool reel) whch I could get locally and would be a good ll-rounder for the local beaches. I know that species from the shore can be much bigger than those found in the UK and when using sardine or chokka for bait anything might turn up so can anyone recommend what strength mainline I should choose for general purpose fishing. Obviously I'lll use a shock leader for casting and I've researched typical traces for SA shore fishing but have no idea how heavy or light I should go for my main line.

The Kerboumstrand beaches look good, but there again they all do, but if anyone has some suggestions on productive venues in the area I'd really appreciate any advice, also if anyone local reading this would like to team up with me for a trip or two to local beaches to show me the ropes that would be fantastic and obviously the best way for me to get some local knowledge.
Thanks
Dave

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
Re: Plett advice please
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:58:17 pm »
 :welc: Dave , am sure you will get some informed advice, unfortunately not my neck of the woods. Re: rods, check out the pawnshops after finding out what a new rod will cost. In those coastal towns the pensioners regularly head for the fishing hole in the sky , and these guys buy up everything from the widow for peanuts to sell . BUT sometimes their prices are crazy :nuts:  for cheaper gear, top end equipment  :hnthnt: is often a good buy as it is too expensive for their trade. Good luck and enjoy . :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline brucec

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:31:34 pm »
Try contacting Theo Herbst from TJ'S Bait  & Tackle on :  theoherbst-sharks@webmail.co.za .  He is a mine of advise and could help you with all you need re tackle and definitely the right advise.

Offline daveb

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 04:14:09 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful and much appreciatedl

Offline Psy

• Cred: 5
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 10:52:04 pm »
Hi daveb

There is a 'Sports fishing' shop in Plett (close to the mall) as well as Knysna and George, with more tackle stores in George on the whole and you are best off looking there for a second hand rod/reel.

Okuma rods are very reasonably priced with all the rage being the Grinder/braid (fixed spool) option. Give the store the reel particulars, no doubt they will be able to match a rod for same.
All the rage now is fishing with braid as its really giving you the feel for the slightest touch on your bait.
Braid options for your fixed spool (grinder) will be 30-40lb braid with either a mono or a braid leader, again dependant on beach or rocks/bricks application.

Beaches and sand banks from Plett toward Natures valley including Keurbooms Strand are good places to target. Look and study water/sandbank/reefs/tide conditions, look/procure local baits ie; pink prawn and sand prawn, bloodworm and moonshine worm ~ instead of store bought frozen bait.
Local fish are more fond of local bait!

:cg:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 02:44:59 am by Psy »
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 119
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 08:49:32 am »
If the fishing is bad .

Patrol the beaches for some of South Africa’s finest females .....
just remember , your sunscreen ....

Offline Psy

• Cred: 5
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 09:51:58 pm »
Dave

See link to picture of coastline close from Natures Valley eastward  ~ toward the Salt River.

A very scenic walk takes you east along a footpath toward the river mouth, quite precipitous in places, but well worth the exercise.

Some excellent reefs there to be fished, producing the smaller rock sharks and reef dwellers like Mussel Cracker.

The beach at Natures is very productive with the correct conditions.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-33.9872084,23.5400711,2851m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.