Author Topic: The Ultimate Guide to Galjoen Fishing  (Read 62893 times)

Galjoen

Re: The Ultimate Guide to Galjoen Fishing
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 10:04:44 AM »
Blood Worm
[/color]This bait can be collected by suction pump and is not that difficult to get. Blood worm can be found in most places and is a very good bait for all kinds of fish not just galjoen. These worms can also be salted after a days fishing and if there’s some left, just add course salt, roll it in a newspaper and keep it in the freezer till the next fishing trip. Remember to bleed the worm before being salted.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:22:16 AM by Galjoen »

Galjoen

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 10:09:13 AM »
Blood Worm…deadly bait for any fish especially when fresh, very good all-round bait to fish during all the seasons....

Galjoen on Blood Worm....

Galjoen

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 10:11:14 AM »
Prawn
[/color]This is also a very very good all-round bait when it comes to reef fishing. Prawn can be pumped in various locations and the number of different species that can be caught on the bait is phenomenal! From galjoen, cob, white steenbras, white stump nose and many more fish species could surprise you the day you won’t expect it at all! This bait works exceptionally well in the Langebaan lagoon for White stump nose. The best time to use this bait is when the water is very clear with not much colour at all, or if the water is flat with not much rolling action.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:15:01 AM by Galjoen »

Galjoen

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 10:19:18 AM »
Galjoen caught on a pink prawn

[attachment deleted by admin]

Galjoen

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 10:24:15 AM »
Moonshine Worm

[/color]This bait works well when the water is flat with not much colour in the water. As the worm is not that thick a rather smaller hook should be used when using this kind of bait. Moonshine worm can be collected in various areas along Muizenberg beach right through to the Southern coastline. The worm is quite difficult to pump and it can only be collected by suction pump. It’s also a very good bait for species like Belman and White Steenbras. I found that when combining moonshine  worm with other baits, like white mussel or blood worm gives me even better results as with fishing only with moonshine.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:26:33 AM by Galjoen »

Galjoen

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 10:28:15 AM »
Galjoen caught on combination of Moonshine and Blood Worm @ Strandfontein, fish tagged and released safely back in the water

Galjoen

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 10:31:09 AM »
White Mussel

[/color]This is a very highly underrated bait and works well in certain conditions. I’ve found that mixing white mussel with red-bait gives me good results. Places not to go fishing without white mussel is the West Coast. Most of the galjoen caught on the West Coast has fallen for white mussel. White mussel can be collected at Big Bay (Bloubergstrand) also on various places on the Southern Coastline like Hermanus Plaat. Always good to have a few white mussels when going on a gallie hunting trip. Most of the local tackle shop do stock white mussel and it can be bought from them for a fairly good price. White mussel that was bought should be kept frozen until being used and never re-freeze any bait that was completely defrosted, throw it away and get some fresh bait for the next trip.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:32:41 AM by Galjoen »

Galjoen

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 10:37:22 AM »
Remember when ever you want to go fishing,  never fish alone…safety in numbers! Reef fishing could also be very dangerous, so please wear the appropriate clothing as walking on the rocks could be very dangerous especially when fishing alone. Never ever turn you back on the water and have respect for the sea/ocean. Remember as it can give, it can also take. Fishing with friends make it much safer and enjoyable.

Offline AndriesH

• Dassie Destroyer - In die Kol dol
  • Cred: 69
  • Here lives a cumfy fisherman and his lovely wife.
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 10:41:25 AM »
Have some credit, seriously good post, thanks Galjoen.
I'm going fishing, I'm going fishing, I'm going fishing

Galjoen

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 10:42:17 AM »
Galjoen in the oven

Step 1: Cut the galjoen open

Step 2: Add course salt and rinse after 20min

Step 3: Hang galjoen out to "wind dry" for approximately 30min
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:45:32 AM by Galjoen »

Galjoen

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010, 10:47:34 AM »
Step 4 :  Mix one tablespoon butter with 2 tablespoons of apricot jam , add some garlic flakes and garlic salt then melt it down in the microwave for about 1.5 min. Stir regularly and taste to make sure you've added enough garlic salt. After the galjoen was salted, rinsed and hanged out to dry, use a glass bowl and spray with spray & cook so that the galjoen does not stick to the bowl. Place galjoen in bowl and add some fish spice and lemon/black pepper spice, then take your sauce and pour evenly over galjoen, give it a dash of lemon juice and put it in the preheated oven of about 170 degrees for more or less 40 min. Do not turn galjoen....eat your heart out!!!!!

Galjoen

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2010, 10:48:53 AM »
Have some credit, seriously good post, thanks Galjoen.

:tkx: :tkx: :tkx:

Galjoen

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2010, 10:52:49 AM »
:fnx: :fnx: :fnx:

Dankie Wikus !

:thmsup" :thmsup" :thmsup"
 :uarocks :uarocks :uarocks

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 766
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2010, 10:55:44 AM »
This is one of the finest contributions to any Angling forum I have ever seen.

Wikus, I am gob-smacked! What can I say.... except great respect and thankyou!!  :resp:

:fnx:

Galjoen

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 10:57:01 AM »
Wikus, Baie baie dankie. Puik artikel. Jy mag maar nog post. Hier is krediet vir jou.

Offline Marthin

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 45
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2010, 11:01:54 AM »
jis...

From someone who's tried it... the recipe is number one....

High time i get a new one for that recipe.... Wikus saw it didnt go so well this weekend.  I'm back from Sodom and Gomorra aka Johannesburg & Pretoria, so i'm going this weekend....
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Galjoen

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010, 11:02:31 AM »
This is one of the finest contributions to any Angling forum I have ever seen.

Wikus, I am gob-smacked! What can I say.... except great respect and thankyou!!  :resp:

:fnx:

Thank you Reefman, it's only a pleasure!!!
 :uarocks :uarocks :uarocks

Galjoen

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 11:07:30 AM »
jis...

From someone who's tried it... the recipe is number one....

High time i get a new one for that recipe.... Wikus saw it didnt go so well this weekend.  I'm back from Sodom and Gomorra aka Johannesburg & Pretoria, so i'm going this weekend....
  Howzit Marthin, I wondered what happened to you....time to go fishing bro!!!!!
 fshg fshg fshg

Offline Sailfish

• Cred: 6
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »
Super, super post Galjoen!!! :resp: :fnx:
WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GO FISHING

Galjoen

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2010, 02:14:35 PM »
Super, super post Galjoen!!! :resp: :fnx:

:tkx: