Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Hole in the wall feedback

Author Topic: Hole in the wall feedback  (Read 1086 times)

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 43
Hole in the wall feedback
« on: June 13, 2021, 11:51:02 AM »
Hi all, just back from our annual HITW trip. 12 of us made our way down in 3 cars, 2 leaving 04:00 Friday the 4th and 1 car on Saturday the 5th of June. We had 1 issue going down, we picked up some wire on the left trailer tire, and we lost the tire and the rim. Not great. We managed to get a spare from Conquerer trailers in Bloem (we phoned ahead, and they did not have one in stock, but took one off their rental trailer for us......BIG thumbs up to them. They have a surprisingly good fishing shop in the trailer shop......). The guys coming down on Saturday had issues with the Subaru spark plug lead. The way I understood it was that the spark plug is quite deep in the engine, and that whoever replaced the lead broke something. They arrived late Saturday, and also had a blowout when they hit a pothole on the Coffee bay road. We managed to get a new lead and the right tire to Mthatha, and that solved all of the car's issues. No issues coming back.
Saturday and Sunday were essentially no fishing days. Massive swells coming through, and strong wind. Some of the guys hiked to Coffee Bay, and I as designated driver, went to pick them up. Went a touch early, so I could pop in to Mapuzi. The road was waterlogged, and it was a mission, but I got there, and made it back in time to pick the guys up. They have had massive rains down there justr before we arrived. The ground is oozing water everywhere. The path down to hole in the wall has been badly washed away.
No signs whatsoever of the fabled sardine run. No diving birds, no whales, and a handful of dolphin pods over the week.
We fished the Queen in the early mornings. Caught a number of really nice sized blacktails, some shad (much less than normal), some stumpies, mullet, and I caught a small pompano. I saw some small cob being taken out (not by our group), but nothing of minimum size. We also fished Little Danger, Black Rock, and at the Hole. My friend John caught a nice bream at Little danger one afternoon. (I can't remember what it was). Did not see a single bronze bream the whole trip. We were unable to get to Little Shelly and the Ledges, two of our favourite spots, due to the width and depth of the river in front of the Hole in the Wall. Wading depth in the river was 2 meters plus
We saw snow on the mountains both going down and coming back, which will explain the icy temperatures of both the river and the ocean. I managed to have one swim, which was barely do-able, on the Wednesday, but by Friday the water temp had dropped even further. Will download some pics off my camera, and post them in due course.

Offline hrogers

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 23
Re: Hole in the wall feedback
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 10:02:06 PM »
Thanks for the feed back Ian- Sound if your guys still have a blast  - No photos ??

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 05:45:36 AM »
Photos will come in due course. Spent most of yesterday deconstructing the trip. Packing things away, getting the car and trailer cleaned, trying to balance the books, working out what we brought back (food wise) so that we can plan better for next time, etc. I was also working yesterday morning doing a disaster recovery exercise at work. All fun and games.
I am also a bit old school......taking photos with a camera, so they need to be downloaded, and then shrunk in size to fit onto the ultimate forum. But for now, I have  a week's worth of emails to plough through..............and some other catching up to do as happens when one is away for a week.

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 11:00:58 AM »
Me on the queen, with a live mullet out.......but no takers

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 11:03:18 AM »
Wrong comment - a me on the queen with a nice blacktail. A great fight on the Berkley air

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 11:05:08 AM »
A good morning's catch. We had fish for breakfast every day, and for some evening meals too, without really having too much. There were on and off 11 of us fishing

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 11:07:12 AM »
Trying to cross the river in front of the hole. Water was 2m plus at the deepest point. Rob in the photo is 6 foot four, and he went right under. We decided to fish on this side of the river instead

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 11:12:13 AM »
This was me on the Queen, live mullet out (30cm), waiting for a big bite, but no takers

Offline adam

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 138
  • The lighter the tackle, the bigger the fish!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 03:34:51 PM »
Those are bus blacktail!  Well done.

Struggle to get through the river then cast back to the side you came from!  :hehe:

Just joking.  Sounds like a fun trip!
"I once caught a fish thiiiiiiiiss big, now pass another beer"

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 06:29:01 AM »
Those were beaut blacktails, and what a fight they gave. MY son and I were both fishing Berkley Air rods (him and 9 foot extra heavy spinning, and me a 10 foot extreme....both of them worked over by Brandon Fishatic McQueen) with older Sustain reels. Such fun catching stuff that give you a pull on those rods. Comparatively, pound for pound, I will take a blacktail over the shad any day. We were fishing for shad, with 5/0 hooks, and the blacktail latched onto those. Later we changed down to a smaller hook.
We normally cross the river, then go on to the Ledges and or Little Shelly. Ledges are nice for cob, and Little Shelly great for bronze bream. We did fish at the hole, both in the river and to the left in the sea, but not much happened there.

Been doing the Hole in the Wall trip for 20 years with guys from our church. We are fortunate to have access to a cottage down there. Always been a great trip, and huge amounts of fun. We understand you can't fish all the time (well, some of us can't) so there are always lots of other fun things planned to do.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 766
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 11:06:18 AM »
Some nice fish there Ian!  (clap)

Offline hrogers

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 23
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2021, 01:28:52 PM »
Thanks for sending the photos Ian !!