Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Maphelane report back May 2018

Author Topic: Maphelane report back May 2018  (Read 4733 times)

Offline phumba72

• Cool Beans
  • Cred: 5
  • Can't wait
Maphelane report back May 2018
« on: May 23, 2018, 09:38:46 AM »
 :fshn:
Hi all at Ultimate Angling,
Just a little  feedback on my recent trip to Maphelane. I went down on Wednesday 16th May 2018 and returned on the 20th May 2018. As luck would have it, we had rain for three days, of and on the hole time. Regardless, it was till warm so I was soaked but persevered. Thank -goodness no lightening so felt safe. It got so bad that I even went and sheltered in the bushes at crayfish point. If anyone goes there you may still find the shelter we built from a smashed up wooden boat. We used the roof and a dead tree to build a shelter. Survivor here I come. lol. Also needed the tree to dry our clothes out. So how was the fishing?

What fishing!!!!!!!!

I have never battled so hard and put so many hours in for so little fish. Yet is was successful in other ways. Yes, it maybe the cold front that brought the rain, barometric pressure etc. etc. but still fishing was long and hard.
On the first day, went fishing straight in front. The bay is totally sanded up. I have never seen it so bad. Many are saying that it all the sand that was removed at the St Lucia side that has washed up on the Maphelane side. At low tide, you could walk out to the main reef that protects the bay. Unreal and so shallow.
Conditions on the Wednesday were partly cloudy with a slight southerly wind. Sea was warm - 22 degrees. But the current at high tide was unfishable. The sea was washing from south to north - if I am looking at the sea, from my right to left. 6 ounce grapnel just got rolled and line twisted. So I decide to spin rather. Tackle used - Assassin Almia 11 ft four piece, Daiwa BG 4000 with 20 pound J braid. Spoon, king fisher anchovy 25 gr. I must have cast over a thousand times if not more, varied retrieve and walked all the way north to Saint Lucia. Nothing zero zilch. Changed spoons to kingfisher 1 v, bullet spoon and onda onda. not even a knock.

What I did sea in the thousands was bull mullet. They were plentiful and swimming in great shoals all along the beach. As the sun was setting I made my way back to the point at Maphelane and was amazed at all the mullet. None jumping, more like getting ready to spawn. But no fish.

Woke up early on Thursday morning and was on the beach at 05h00. Still dark and took a walk to crayfish point. It was high tide at 04h30 so was looking forward to get stuck into some fish. At the bay at crayfish point, the sea was so high that you have o walk into the bushes to get past crayfish point. In that bay, I was amazed to find two black tipped reef sharks swimming in the shallows and chasing the mullet. There were thousands of mullet and it was spectacular to watch them being herded and chased by the two circling sharks. I cast out my small king fisher anchovy spoon. At last some luck, in between the mullet were a few shad. Only one was size though so kept him for dinner and released the rest. Again, I must have cast over 1000 times with different spoons but nothing and by then the tide was pulling out. all went dead quite and the sharks moved off. Then the rain came down, in buckets.

I thought I would whether the rain but no such luck. it came down in full fury so walked back to the lodges soaking wet with one shad. The rest of the day was a right of with pouring rain and a strong south westerly. Couldn't even light a fire so went to bed early to hit the beach early. Woke up at 05h30 but the rain was still pouring down. Friday was a right off but managed to get to the beach in the late afternoon with the wind dying down and a little rain. Only managed to go in the front bay. Nothing but a strong side wash current. We did meet a group of guys that were having a night fishing completion and they walked to crayfish point and beyond.

The rain then came down again in full force and had to feel sorry for the guys fishing the competition. Early Saturday it was a bit cloudy but fishable so off I went at 05h30. Decided to try crayfish point again. On my way I bumped into the guys who were fishing the competition. They looked wet and miserable, but I did ask if they managed to catch anything and they said it was tough and cold. They managed two lanterns - cave bass, two Kob and a few small reef fish. Nothing major at all. They did warn me that there was a hippo on the beach at crayfish point that was looking for a place to climb back on the dune and to be careful. As it was still dark I did literally continue with my heart in my throat. As I got to the point I could see a number of footprint where the hippo had been but I could not see any sign of him. Started spinning but no luck. Walked all the way past crayfish point but nothing. Put out a red eye bait and nothing. The whole area is sanded up. You can literally walk to the reef at low tide across the sand bank. I have never seen it so sanded up in the 10 years that I have been going there. Fishing off the ledges I managed three wave Garrick. That was it.

Walked all the way back to the main bay and stopped along the way but nothing, not even small black tails etc.

So the few days came to an end and packed up Sunday morning in clear sunny skies. The park board warned us about the road as the river had flooded. We were told they had had 90 mm in two days but the river and not broken through so was flooding laterillay and the road was flooded. We drove slowly out planning the next trip.

Despite not many fish, fishing is a wonderful sport and cannot wait to try out smart them again. Tight lines everybody.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 766
Re: Maphelane report back May 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 10:00:55 AM »
Nice report Marius! Thanks for sharing. Don't feel bad. This was a carbon copy of our trip in March. We were there a week and the fishing and conditions were horrific. Sanded up bays and the strongest side wash currents I've ever seen, along with plenty weed in the water. The dredging up at St Lucia has certainly screwed Maphelane up 6-love. Will take an epic storm to carve out the bays again...

Offline Serra Moz

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 12
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 10:09:15 AM »
You know the saying "Still beats the office / or concrete jungle"
Happy days!

Offline Willie

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 237
  • Ultimate Novice
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 10:22:07 AM »
Thanks for the report. This happens at other times we catch one after the other.  (clap)
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline CRANKMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 58
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 10:54:05 AM »
Nice report, thanks.  :+ cred:
Sorry the weather didn't work out in your favour.  :wndy
>('>
                   )<((>
     }<(({>

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 10:58:21 AM »
 :tkx:  great report  :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline Hans

• Cred: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 11:47:03 AM »
Hi Guys

A couple of the guys from the office have booked in at Maphelane this weekend (25 - 27 May).
None of us have been there before and some advice would be appreciated:
1. Would it be possible to get through with a Fortuner 4 x 2.
2. Best spots to fish?
3. Condition of accommodation (log cabins)

Regards

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 01:03:17 PM »
Fortuner will be fine,(4x4 is better) although there are some deep muddy spots and some hectic pools after you've gone through the gate.At the moment, the only decent spots to fish are well left of the bay towards St Lucia, find a hole. Ledges, about 4km South is also still good, but far. All the other bays are well sanded up and only ultra light tackle will work.Log cabins have been renovated, so most have new geysers, new stoves, microwaves and working DSTV!
Have a good time.  :tite

Offline Hans

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 01:57:53 PM »
Thanks for the info.
It's gonna be my first trip to Maphelane so will make the most of it.
If the fishing is not too good, at least I can watch Liverpool lift the cup  :-)

Offline Plugger

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 03:47:55 PM »
Nice to get a report on Maps even if it wasn't the most productive trip , but that's Mapelane, feast or famine with not much in between.
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline phumba72

• Cool Beans
  • Cred: 5
  • Can't wait
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 07:41:15 AM »
Thanks guys,

Still addicted to fishing so will be back - yes feast or famine is Maphelane as have got the best fish I have ever caught there. I have even managed to get a natal snoek from the beach on a spoon, Garrick, GT's and sharks on live bait and have been broken up more times than care to remember so if it is working, it is really magic.

Hans, Reefman is spot on in terms of his reply. The road was in the best condition when we went there but after the rain was really bad. There are two small hill climbs that have concrete and these have been undercut by the runoff so the drop-offs are big between the sand and concrete. Take it easy and you will be fine. The deep holes of water are just before the parks board offices and again slow is good. We were in a Hilux 2 by 4 and had no problems. Cabins are renovated and rustic. Everything works but does need a little tweek here and there for the gas stove and geyser.

Advice on fishing, you must be prepared to walk a bit. North there are holes and gulleys between the sand banks so find one and sit it out. The water is very clear so best times to fish is afternoon into the evening and before sunrise. South one must walk past crayfish point and you will see gaps in the reef where the water comes in. Fish these spots. There is a strong side wash. Also take a spinning rod with a few spoons and carry bag as one never knows if Neptune is smiling on you and you will be surprised what you can get on spoon.

if you want to scratch for stonebreams, blacktails etc, best spot is just south of the point about 100m or so on and receding tide but look for the submerged rocks. If you really want to, you can follow some of the locals ski-boat gillies and parks board guys who go fishing in the evenings and walk south to their favourite spots.

Best of luck and be sure to post on your trip

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 10:40:16 AM »
 :tkx:  great report. Thanks for the effort.
A group of us are going to Maps during July and wanted to know about the road from Richards Bay. I have never use it and would appreciate any advice.
Is the road conditions better? Is it shorter and faster etc
Any advice will be appreciated.
life's a journey, enjoy the ride.

Offline hrogers

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 23
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 11:42:49 AM »
Thanks for sharing your report !~!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:43:01 AM by hrogers »

Offline Hans

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 12:53:31 PM »
Hi Guys

Yes, famine it was over the weekend 25 to 27 May.
We got there safely after swimming my vehicle through (water just reaching the arches of my Fortuner and just over the arch on exit as it rained buckets on Friday night)
On Friday, we walked to Reefman's shelter an fished for a good few hours. Only 3 wavegarrick and a rockcod.
On Saturday, the fitter guys walked 4,5 hours south, fished for 3 hours and goy back around 5:30 in the evening. A good 12 hours out with only a stumpy of 3,5kg plus a few blactail & wavegarrick that was returned.
I fished a gulley up north and slid out a mackerel which sat around fro 5 hours. Scratching produced a few wavegarrick and a lovely sole fish which was returned.
The beauty of the place is amazing but quite a bit of rubbish strewn about.
Thanks for the advice guys. Next time tell me when the fish are there.
Tried to upload a picture of Reefman's shelter bit somehow cannot get it to load.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 04:21:55 PM »
Your pic is probably too big... http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=814.0

Reefman's shelter??? sounds interesting...  :dunno:

You're not perhaps talking about the tarpaulin frame that's stuck in the beach in the bay?

1.5m Gaboon Viper taking a dip at Maphelane.

WATCH: Massive Gaboon viper tagged and released in Zululand

Offline Hans

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 09:13:41 AM »
Oops  sry
Correction.
Phumba 72's shelter. (The one with part of a boat & a dead tree).
I took a pic of it too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal