Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 saint lucia to cape vidal

Author Topic: saint lucia to cape vidal  (Read 7314 times)

Offline Phish

• Cred: 1
saint lucia to cape vidal
« on: January 24, 2018, 10:40:12 AM »
Good day fellow fishermen.

I am going to Saint Lucia from 16 March 2018 until 23 Mach 2018.

I have read the various posts on fishing the Saint lucia - Cape Vidal stretch and I see that the species that can be encountered there vary from shad, three spot pompano, kingies, lemonfish, southern pompano, speckled snappers, bonefish, grunter, stumpies, garrick, rock cod etc.

My question is what species will I encounter during the time that i am there. Are the species mentioned encountered all year round or are they seasonal?

Will appreciate your feedback and thanks in advance.

Kind regards and best wishes for 2018.

Phish 

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 766
Re: saint lucia to cape vidal
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »
North Coast Zululand - all those species can be found all year round, however fishing is definitely better during the Summer months. So March is a good time! Add Salmon (Kob) to the list. Garrick are quite rare during Summer, being more a Winter species. (Aug-Oct)
 :tite for your trip. Look forward to your report.

Offline Plugger

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:13:30 AM »
You can add crayfish to the list as well.season opens on 1March. Don't forget your licence.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:14:08 AM by Plugger »
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline Phish

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 09:11:44 AM »
Thanks Plugger and Reefs for your input. Will do report when I get back.

Offline Big B

• Barry
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 20
  • I am a fish-a-holic!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:22:28 AM »
 :stray: :pylie: :brnz: and giant guitars also very prevelant in the summermonths if I'm not mistaken.
Lets go FISHING!

Offline Stukka

• Cred: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 09:48:48 AM »
I am going to Vidal this weekend and then St Lucia over easter weekend.

Any tips/tricks for vidal this weekend?  Anyone know how the fishing has been up there?

Also going to try for Lobsters for the first time so any advice there would be appreciated.

Any hints and tips for St Lucia end of the month will be appreciated as well - with the latest rains down in Hluhluwe it may be very interesting place to be come end of this month...

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 03:47:09 PM »
Check this thread out... plenty good info that applies to the whole Zululand Coastline... http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=22029.0

Offline Phish

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 03:22:51 PM »
Good day Guys.

A report back on my trip to Saint Lucia.

My time there was plagued by heavy winds and intermittent rains with a blazing hot day and heavy seas with a sand blasting here and there.

I basically fished every day from 17 March 2018 until 22 March 2018. I fished Saint Lucia Main Beach up to Slides, Mission Rocks, Cape Vidal and Richards bay.

The fishing was hard and was done mostly over going down water and low tide due to the heavy seas. On the going down water and low tide the water was more stable and less drift. On the High Tide a seven ounce wire grapnel would not hold with too much movement in the water and there were jelly fish and blue bottles about and I got nailed by a blue bottle.

Most success was had on red prawn followed by baby squid and lastly trusted old sards.

Caught about 14 different species from a pursemouth, silago, three spot pompano, natal stumpy, bonefish, juvenile yellowtail kingies,  HUGE Puffer (about a kg),  zebras, grey grunter, stonebream, a star fish  w;k . and some with no numberplates etc.
Lost a fish of the trip at Cape Vidal Ledges. Fished the ledges about two hundred metres south of where the ledges start at Cape Vidal. The fish picked up a sardine tail with red prawn strip combo. Pick up was a feather of a nibble which I felt and was then simply pulled flat. Fought the fish with a locked drag due to the terrain and brought it in reasonably close to the ledge to pick up. Friend of mine went closer to the ledge to see whether he could help but the surge kept him back. I decided to pick the fish and as I did so, the breaking water pushed the fish against the steep ledge. The fish was fully out of the water but caught against the ledge and the hook pulled. My friend had a look at the fish and estimated it to be in the 5 to 6 kg region and appeared to be a speckled snapper. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It was a wonderful break and thank you to all the guys that gave information and advice. Phish.         

Offline Phish

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 03:29:12 PM »
Dear Admin,

The story continues but somehow the size of the font changed in my post above. please correct the size of the font in the last paragraphs as i cannot change the font in my post.

Kind regard Phish.

Fixed. Admin.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 10:53:34 AM »
Nice report and fish, Phish! No luck on the Snapper...

:+ cred:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal