Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Tiger Rod Setup?

Author Topic: Tiger Rod Setup?  (Read 11339 times)

Offline marshy

• Cred: 0
Tiger Rod Setup?
« on: October 13, 2017, 04:42:21 PM »
Hi all!

Needing some advice from those in the know. I'm looking to head up to Zambia and take part in some Tiger fishing, and looking to build a setup. I'm by no means a pro angler and still very much consider myself an amateur. I'll probably be looking to use the setup 5+ times a year, and I'm a believer in buy once, cry once.

After scouring the net, I've come across the following suggestions, and looking for forum member input on the following options

Rod
  • Shimano Beastmaster Special Tiger (7ft)
  • Shimano Crucial (7ft) Medium-heavy
Reel
  • Shimano Stella 4000 / 5000
  • Shimano TwinPower 4000 / 5000
  • Shimano Sustain??

Tackle wise, I see braid is the only way to go, with suggestions of 50lb needed for the beasts in Zambia? And as for lures and spoons, Effzet and Storm Copper Spoons in 22-30gr and Rapala's (Floating Magnum, DT's, CD's, X-Rap Walk) as well as the Zara Spook...the options seem endless!  :nuts:
The one thing that's always mentioned is the upgrade of split rings on the lures and spoons, and changing out the treble's for single in-lines?

So....back to the rod setup!

Which rod will suit my needs best, and work in a pinch for other estuary fishing? Would the beastmaster work in the sea in a pinch?

And then, more importantly (read financially...) which real?? I believe that the Stella is basically the benchmark, and have seen some reviews saying that the twin power isn't necessarily worth the money? What about the sustain? From what I'm managed to read, the most important factors are a very smooth drag, and a real that can offer some real drag poundage (correct term?)

I get quite lost in the Alan Hawk reviews, so looking for some in layman's terms from the forumites.

Thanks in advance!!!

Marshy

:tkx:

Offline gareth88

• Cred: 1
Re: Tiger Rod Setup?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 05:10:32 PM »
I would personally go with the crucial rod and the Stratic FK 5000 (to throw a spanner in the works). The reel is light, smooth, casts well and has carbon drag washers. It's a favourite reel in Cape Town for throwing spoons/plugs for yellowtail so will also handle your estuary fishing.

Offline stephanhavenga

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »
I have the beast master special tiger paired with a stradic 4000 and is on hell of a combo. I use it for tiger fishing and as a flick stick in the boat offshore. Caught a 16kg tune with it. 20lb braid. Would also suggest the new stradic FK 5000. Super reel. Havent foahed with the crucial so cant commet.

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 164
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 07:34:50 PM »
I would personally go with the crucial rod and the Stratic FK 5000 (to throw a spanner in the works). The reel is light, smooth, casts well and has carbon drag washers. It's a favourite reel in Cape Town for throwing spoons/plugs for yellowtail so will also handle your estuary fishing.

I would also go with this set up, braid your choice, but you will need a decent fluoro carbon leader
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline travelmember

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 49
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 03:34:27 PM »
What is your normal form of tiger fishing and what are you targeting in the estuaries?.

Trolling, deadbait fishing, livebait fishing are different to casting. When casting, are you exploring the river (longer casts) or fishing exact spots (shorter, accurate presentations).
The 2 best tiger fisherman I know have completely different set ups - one uses an electronic bass casting reel and a short, firm heavy bass rod; the other uses a Stella 5k and an 8ft light weight St Croix casting rod.

I generally take a couple of outfits, one heavy 7' Nexave with a Ambassador 5500 and 30lb braid and then an 8' Tiger Tamer stick with a Stradic 4000 and 20lb braid. I use a tiny ball bearing swivel and then a short (20cm) piece of 35lb piano wire.

Same outfits are used in False Bay for yellowtail and snoek and in the Middle East for dorries so should be fine for most estuary fish.
I don't follow the logic of needing 50lb braid (that breaks at 65) to catch a 20lb fish.

Offline Dewald Posthumus

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 8
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 08:14:07 AM »
Also, have a look at the Berkley Venom Tiger rod, an absolute beaut of a rod and can handle saltwater fish quite easily. My brother's been using one for the past three trip to Lazarus banks with great success as a dropshot rod - he also pairs it with a Stradic 5k.

Offline L Hooker

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 55
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »
I fish with a Tiger Special paired with a 5000 Saragosa very nice setup. The Saragosa I also use offshore/inshore for light spinning

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 05:08:35 PM »

:corrct:  but I wouldn't discount the Beast Master. With an upgraded set of guides, it's a super piece of equipment (standard guides are rubbish). And just to answer another question, I have taken mine on the last 4 offshore trips and had some good light tackle dust ups, notably, Bonefish at Fogo Island... So much fun.

I recently bought a Medium Crucial with a super fast action. I think it would also make a formidable Tiger rod. The downside is that it's virtually impossible to find a 2 piece Crucial in SA.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline marshy

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 05:35:23 PM »
Gents, what's the difference between the Crucial and the Beastmaster? I see both come in Special Tiger versions?

Offline 1969

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 05:16:04 AM »
Morning after watching Craig Thomasson of inside angling catch a 15pd rock salmon on the shimano crucial tiger rod , I purchased one I can honestly say it is one of the best buys I have ever made .
I use this rod for grunter and Garrick in port st johns . tigers in jozini . kingfish in kosi . spinning for shad off the beach and for snoek off the boat I have it paired with a daiwa bg 3000 and 15pd braid can throw a lure a mile and has great backbone .
Assasin have brought out the assassin tempest which seems pretty similar .

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 08:47:19 AM »
Basil Manning also have a 7' Assassin Tiger, I got one last year at the sale for R600 - superb rod!!
Just a word of caution (although I have never fished up there) don't go 'overgunned' thinking you will only catch monster tigers, take a lighter setup as backup for maximum fun on the smaller fish. IMO 50lb is a bit of an overkill I would go 30lb braid max.....1st prize is spare spools with different line!!
Just Fish!!!

Offline marshy

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 12:14:11 PM »
Morning after watching Craig Thomasson of inside angling catch a 15pd rock salmon on the shimano crucial tiger rod , I purchased one I can honestly say it is one of the best buys I have ever made .
I use this rod for grunter and Garrick in port st johns . tigers in jozini . kingfish in kosi . spinning for shad off the beach and for snoek off the boat I have it paired with a daiwa bg 3000 and 15pd braid can throw a lure a mile and has great backbone .
Assasin have brought out the assassin tempest which seems pretty similar .

1969, which model of Crucial Tiger do you have? Is it the 6'6 or 7" ?

Also, how are you enjoying the BG3000?

Thanks!

Marshy

Offline andrewpalang

• Cred: 3
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 01:26:58 PM »
I head up fairly regularly to fish for tigers all over (perks of the job!). My standard tiger kit are 2 x beastmaster tiger specials (these were the older blanks and are incredible if you can get your hands on one!) and 2 x quantum cabo 40's both with 30lb braid. I have never had a problem so far!

I have seen it time and time again that tackle stores hear that people are going tiger fishing and that they MUST have 50lb braid for those bus tigers! Only for them to arrive and can only cast 20m with there lure cos their braid is too thick! My advise is to go lighter (30lb works great!) but get a GOOD quality braid that is not going to let you down!

Reel wise, i find the Shimano 4000 size reels are best and balance well with the  size of rod you'll be using. Obviously loads of options out there. Bang for buck I would look at the new Daiwa BG series.

Offline marshy

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 01:40:28 PM »
I head up fairly regularly to fish for tigers all over (perks of the job!). My standard tiger kit are 2 x beastmaster tiger specials (these were the older blanks and are incredible if you can get your hands on one!) and 2 x quantum cabo 40's both with 30lb braid. I have never had a problem so far!

I have seen it time and time again that tackle stores hear that people are going tiger fishing and that they MUST have 50lb braid for those bus tigers! Only for them to arrive and can only cast 20m with there lure cos their braid is too thick! My advise is to go lighter (30lb works great!) but get a GOOD quality braid that is not going to let you down!

Reel wise, i find the Shimano 4000 size reels are best and balance well with the  size of rod you'll be using. Obviously loads of options out there. Bang for buck I would look at the new Daiwa BG series.

Howzit Andrew!

Thanks for the heads up! What braid would you suggest?

The more I research the BG series, the more I like them! Just battling with comparing them to the Shim's as I know Daiwa runs their reels on different sizing?

Thanks again!

Offline 1969

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 07:01:32 AM »
Morning bud it is the 7ft tiger edition . The daiwa bg 3000 fits it perfectly a 3000 size daiwa is the equivalent of a 4000 size shimano and a 4000 the equivalent of a 5000 .

Offline marshy

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 03:53:56 PM »
Morning bud it is the 7ft tiger edition . The daiwa bg 3000 fits it perfectly a 3000 size daiwa is the equivalent of a 4000 size shimano and a 4000 the equivalent of a 5000 .

1969, can I get a number for you? Just wanting to pick your brain around your setup :)

Offline 1969

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 05:35:49 AM »
only a pleasure bud have pmd you my number

Offline liquidity

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 10:55:20 AM »
I fished Zambia near Royal Chundu Lodge a few years ago. Got fish up to 6 kilos. I used a Quantum Tour Edition PT 6'6 MH, so would also suggest the Crucial 7ft. Agree with the Stradic suggestion above. If it can handle yellowtail and yellow/longfin tuna it will handle a tiger no problem. I used an older Stradic FJ 4000 and a Sustain 5000. No need to spend the money on Stella or Twinpower. Braid was 20lb. With my experience I would suggest a slightly longer leader. Because the mouths are so hard you want a bit of extra stretch when they become airborne to try and shake the lure. Very sharps hooks are an obvious must. I didn't have much success with spinners (largely and mental thing), however did have a huge amount of success with lipless crankbaits like the Rat'l Traps or Cotton Cordell Rattlin Spot. Red or orange in colour and 3/4 oz.

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 66
  • vidalbum
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 10:06:03 AM »
surprized no one has reccomended a airocast 7 foot

vidalbum

Offline Visenvryheid

• Cred: 30
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 10:24:17 AM »
Never played with those rods, but can suggest the sensation rods..not that I've gone tiger fishing either..the tiger tamer rod is too pap I guess and is my go to chokka rod, although it has landed a few small 2-4kg leeries. The power plus rods though are beasts and I've seen a mate showing me the deadlift with the rod he uses for tail from the boat in the cape, that rod won't break with the drag on a stradic 5000, which is my best smaller spinner by far, I have more than one.

http://sensationtackle.co.za/27-tiger-rods

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal