Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Galjoen information

Author Topic: Galjoen information  (Read 4401 times)

Offline AaronD

• Cred: 0
Galjoen information
« on: April 27, 2016, 02:52:44 AM »
    Hi,
This is a somewhat random request for this forum. I'm an Australian  fish researcher chasing some morphological data on galjoen (D. capensis), including things like tooth shape and relative gut length,  as part of a bigger fish study looking at dietary habits (galjoen have some close relatives in Australia). I can't get my hands on any specimens in Australia, and it'll likely be a long, tedious process to access museum  specimens from SA, so thought the rec fishing community might be able to help me out  (or at least be worth a shot). If there is anyone around who catches these fish  frequently (and maybe even have a couple in the freezer) that may be able to supply some info, photographs, that sort of  thing, it'd be much appreciated if they could contact me. The data/images I need are nothing too challenging (a few minutes work), but I'll save the specifics for later. I know  rec fishers are often keen to help out with this sort of thing at times, so any and all help/advice would be fantastic.

regards Aaron

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 766
Re: Galjoen information
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 06:50:00 AM »
Has someone got Wikus van der Merwe's e-mail address? Maybe send it to Aaron? aaron DOT davis AT  jcu DOT edu DOT au
Wikus will probably be the best guy to help Aaron out...

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=603.0

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 124
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 07:09:45 PM »
Has someone got Wikus van der Merwe's e-mail address? Maybe send it to Aaron? aaron DOT davis AT  jcu DOT edu DOT au
Wikus will probably be the best guy to help Aaron out...

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=603.0

Reefman , best would be to pm ebs, the rsspls guy , as I know there's a wickis featuring on the board most times , could be him .

There are also a very valuable book about galjoen , titled , galjoen onse vis .
 I have a copy of this book, at a friends house , you might be able to source some info from the authors from the above mentioned book.
Would it not be a major hassle to clear specimens at customs , on you side ?
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline AaronD

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 02:13:19 AM »
Thanks Lenny, Reefman,
Wickus has been in touch with me, so hopefully we can sort something out. I'll chase that book up too, thanks for the tip (may need an interpreter though  :-))

Offline Marthin

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 45
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 06:48:19 AM »
Thanks Lenny, Reefman,
Wickus has been in touch with me, so hopefully we can sort something out. I'll chase that book up too, thanks for the tip (may need an interpreter though  :-) )

He said he would be... he has some excellent information and also wrote a "how to" booklet regarding Galjoen for our one derby.
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline Waars_die_Vis

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 08:21:58 AM »
Maybe it will be wort the effort to follow this link for more information:

http://www.saiab.ac.za/milestones.htm
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:24:28 AM by Waars_die_Vis »

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 07:19:47 PM »
Let me know , if I could help , I have family members on your side , and they visit once a year .

Keep well mate .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 07:21:19 PM »
Thanks Lenny, Reefman,
Wickus has been in touch with me, so hopefully we can sort something out. I'll chase that book up too, thanks for the tip (may need an interpreter though  :-) )

He said he would be... he has some excellent information and also wrote a "how to" booklet regarding Galjoen for our one derby.

Out of interest sake Martin , and well not being clue up with the competive side of things , is this the same wickis that features in the rsspls?

Offline Marthin

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 45
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 07:26:35 PM »
Yip one and only, finished 4th now at nationals, won the kob derby, and this is when he's not doing gallie recaps.
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 07:29:49 PM »
Yip one and only, finished 4th now at nationals, won the kob derby, and this is when he's not doing gallie recaps.

Just wondered , it's a name that pops up a lot , along with mike Bailey . Thanks .

I fish with a wickus and a Oom Rikus often , but it's the local ooms. Ha ha they both also not bad in catching .

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal