Author Topic: The Lazy Thumb.......and other fishing stories  (Read 48315 times)

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 366
  • Conservation First!
Re: The Lazy Thumb.......and other fishing stories
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2017, 10:54:26 AM »
Flipping awesome Kent!  :+ cred:

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 69
  • Gonubie
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »
Evening Folks....at my spot today I picked up this rubber rigged weedless....now throwing rubbers or drop shot amongst the bricks can be very productive and VERY expensive no matter how weedless you rig them you WILL lose many....a tip....rather use paddle tails as you can swim your rubber out of trouble not so with the kinda rubber in the pic....just some sage advice....
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2019, 11:03:22 AM »
 :hnthnt: Good day Folks....This journey of enlightenment continues....STAND BY!!! :fshn: :fshn: :sreel:
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2019, 01:25:23 PM »
Lekker... We're needing some increased traffic on the site.  :happ:
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2019, 02:47:11 PM »
 w;k 

Chapter 13 and the journey  continues……
We go  through lows n highs in life and there are many people on this blue orb that we  call home , that sadly have many demons in their heads and many still rely on  drugs to get them through the day .

I , for one  , do not profess to be a great humanitarian , that I leave up to my lovely wife  , who is almost always helping the “lost” , she will truly be blessed or rather  is blessed…

OK…onto us  fisherman , and here I must add , Ive yet to find a “troubled” fisherman , I mean  , troubled when he/she is NOT catching OR frustrated that they cannot get to  the water < but for the most part , fisherman tend to be a solid bunch ,  with a fairly healthy state of mind , no matter what life throws at them….

No herein  lies the jist and crux of this chapter…..

As in life  we go through highs n low in fishing and in 2017 had a little incident off of  the rocks and sought of took a back seat with my fishing as I had lost my  “lucky” fishing hat and my inner self felt lost without that hat and its mojo  …hehe

Laugh , but  its true!!!....since then its been a push me pull me to go fishing and then in  March 2018 I had another incident , this time while out on a morning run and  took about a month or two to get my head around that one AND then the really  bad cycle of conditions hit our part of the coast line …so much so that for  almost 10 months for every weekend , just about on the trot , the sea and  surrounds were just plain nasty!!!

All this  while I am getting my fishing stuff and mojo together and wearing in a new hat  etc etc …AND Ive always believed a passion a really TRUE passion for something  , never really dies or goes away , especially like fishing …coz fishing is  something one can DO to a good ole age , being you keep reasonably fit ….

Im always  watching the weather systems and over the last 10 months Ive got accustomed to  the k*K coming our way all the time that when , last weekend prior I start to  see systems along the South Americas that really piqued my interest and boy oh  boy …was my viskoors HIGH!!!...

NOW…all this  blah blah , gets to me that ole theory of mine ..WORK your spot and work it  until your know it blindfolded…jumping around and following stories will not  land you tons of fish BUT possibly make your wallet light and the fuel companies  richer!!

Its at times  like these doldrums , as fisherman we find ourselves in , that WHEN all of a  sudden conditions change for the better we REALLY then need to visit those  spots we know like the back of our hands…why??..you may well ask….

Well its  simple really , by fishing your known spot(s) when the conditions hit good  after a long bad spell , you optimise you catch percentage and this then in  turn motivates the hell outta you and then you feel all amped to go try that  newer spot you’ve been eyeing …instead conditions turn good and you hit the new  spot and get frustrated coz you losing tackle coz you don’t know the spot etc  etc….

Point in  case , last weekend and the weekend before …conditions were spot on…hit my  local local fave spot and boy oh boy were the kobbies ready to play…BUT ..only  the chilly water stopped them from committing to the hook 100%...

I would say  , for any fisherman who only really has a weekend at any given time to fish ,  should not have no more than three spots that he knows back to front and I tell  you what…you WILL have success..

One small  thing that many do or do not take note of is washed up bait ..ie worm  casings…rock bait and especially crabs …take note of these and of course the  sand , whether its shingle or sand sand…if there is drastic change in the  “look” of the spot …why??...is there more litter than one would normally find  …what ocean going debris is laying about…more bird life than normal…why are the  oyster catchers suddenly now more than they used to be??..

ALL these  signs tell a story , and yes , while you can just go down and moer n soek ,  that too still beats sitting on the couch BUT…its not really that productive  way of fishing…

Many  fisherman comment and say ..joh so n so knows his tuff ..he is always catching  …OR joh so n so knows all the TOP spots…BS…there is no such thing as THE secret  spot….YOU need to work out the code for YOUR chosen spot and there is NO Google  for that …it takes observation…watching the sea NOT looking and of course  taking note of the weather conditions etc etc…..

Well Folks  that’s all for now and I hope you get your mojo ON!!!...

Till next  time ….
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:31:25 PM by Kent »
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2019, 03:07:50 PM »
 :clwn
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:08:53 PM by Kent »
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2019, 03:37:43 PM »
Makes sense  :corrct: :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2019, 03:54:26 PM »
w;k ..Good stuff Colin...sorry the print is so small..dunno how to change it... :dunno:

ADMIN: Sorted.
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2019, 06:38:34 AM »
Couldn't agree more Kent... I have favourites at my local dam and if I'm not catching there, the bite is just not on. When I do catch there, I'm always encouraged to go try out new spots.

On the font size, just go and edit your post, highlight all the text and change font size to 10 (up top above all the motis)
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2019, 08:51:35 AM »
w;k ..Good stuff Colin...sorry the print is so small..dunno how to change it... :dunno:

ADMIN: Sorted.
:bow: Thank you...
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2019, 09:00:23 AM »
Couldn't agree more Kent... I have favourites at my local dam and if I'm not catching there, the bite is just not on. When I do catch there, I'm always encouraged to go try out new spots.

On the font size, just go and edit your post, highlight all the text and change font size to 10 (up top above all the motis)
:-) .Thanks , I see Admin sorted it...good stuff..
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline demon

• Cred: 1
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2019, 01:16:48 PM »
Lekker read their Kent , good to see you are writing again , would love to know what happened on the rocks??

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2019, 09:44:33 AM »
 (bat Well , in my haste to get to a spot that I dont really fish much AND the sea was a tad up AND my son was with and he hadnt thrown for awhile and we were both throwing spoon off of a ledge for kobbies and he got snagged in front and I got him to hold the rods while I went forward to un snag the line and spoon...as I was coming back a nasty little whitewater 3 footer came rushing over the ledge...the rest is history... :-( ..anyhow ,,we survived..minus my fave hat and a drowned cell phone...
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Torpedo Jack

• Cred: 0
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2020, 02:56:23 PM »
Hi Kent!

WOW! Thank you for sharing this excellent info with us! You have dispelled many myths regarding the Cobbies and their habits. These posts are absolute gold - thank you for taking us on this amazing journey with you!  :tkx:

For us landlocked fishermen, who only get to spend a week or two at the sea a year, your info could really help us unlock the potential of our favourite spots. We normally just end up "throwing lures" in the time we're down there.

Keep catching, and be safe out there on the bricks!  (clap) (clap) (clap)

Mike

Offline forensic

• Cred: 2
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2020, 11:14:08 PM »
 :tkx: keep it coming.

Offline MC9

• Cred: 0
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2020, 01:34:48 PM »
Hi Kent,

I stumbled across this old post and am absolutely loving it!!
I live in Stirling, just up the road from Nahoon Reef, and fish the Nahoon and East Coast Resorts area extensively.
Unfortunately, yesterday morning, my son snapped the tip of his 12' BM truflex(I agree it's an absolute beaut of a rod!).
I don't suppose you have one lying around that you'd consider selling? Alternatively maybe you know of someone who has one available?

Many thanks

Mike
082 841 3697

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2020, 08:56:11 AM »
Hi Kent,

I stumbled across this old post and am absolutely loving it!!
I live in Stirling, just up the road from Nahoon Reef, and fish the Nahoon and East Coast Resorts area extensively.
Unfortunately, yesterday morning, my son snapped the tip of his 12' BM truflex(I agree it's an absolute beaut of a rod!).
I don't suppose you have one lying around that you'd consider selling? Alternatively maybe you know of someone who has one available?

Many thanks

Mike
082 841 3697
..Hi Mike ...jip i do have one ..BUT really dont want to get rid of it as it is one of the original TruFlex....hope you find one soon...

Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2020, 11:03:47 AM »
 :hnthnt: Stand by Folks...CHAPTER 14 on its way...The Lazy Thumb...and other fishing stories....from August 2018 to Jan 2020 has been an attrocious fishing time ...condition wise...but more later in Ch #14...
Just GO FISH!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal