Author Topic: The Lazy Thumb.......and other fishing stories  (Read 48314 times)

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 69
  • Gonubie
The Lazy Thumb.......and other fishing stories
« on: October 23, 2015, 08:29:53 PM »
 :-) ..This  obsession of mine with kob on spoon with a multiplier and nylon only  took on a new meaning about ten or so years ago. As the weeks go by I  will share my stories on this path of enlightenment that I call  ….”The art of fishing without actually fishing....” 

Now  before you all run off and refer me to a shrink or the like , just  take a read and these are my own experience and by NO MEANS the only  way to target kob on lure or spoon ….BUT...Im quick to add that IT  IS MY WAY,,,,and Ive had many successes over the last fully  documented 9 years.

Why  kob you ask??...Well, for one these are fairly wily fish and when  hunted in their natural eating OR when they are more prone to eat ,  coz Im sure ALL fish eat all of the time...its the way of the sea ,  then one needs to find out what they like...No , not bait or what  lure ...but...what conditions they are most likely to go on the bite  , so to speak...BUT...lets go back a bit before we actually get into  the whys , wheres and whatfors concerning the kob. Here we need to  look at what it takes to hunt these silver beauts of our fantastic  South African coast line.

For  awhile I had been thinking and admiring how the bass societies of the  world could make a million zillion dollar industry out of just ONE  species of fish.....Well , I then embarked on the same quest for  glory by doing this with spoon and kob in the sea and not in rivers.  I can hear many of you sniggering and thinking , what a chop to limit  oneself like that....Well Folks , that may be so , BUT, over the last  10 years its been a most satisfying quest and have had many successes  , also with many blanks. Anyhow more of this later.

Back  to the equipment side of things. Being taught on multipliers , I was  determined to follow this journey with just such reel. My reel of  choice 12 years ago was and still is a Daiwa SL30. Why??...well , coz  it was the best reel at the time I could afford and the most modern  reel in simplicity to the great Jigmaster that I cut my teeth on. At  this time coffee grinders were coming to the for and they were  starting to take favour with many fisherman for many facets of  fishing....BUT...I was gonna do this with a multiplier.    

My  rod at that time was a Shimano Exage 110H , great rod and can throw  from a 1oz spoon to a 6oz spoon and lotsa back bone to muscle any  fish..I then put 13kg line on my SL30 and off I went....for at least  the first 2 years it was “moer n soek” type method and threw  everything at the sea at any time of the day , just so was my  eagerness!!!....I bought books..etc etc magazines and still could not  find that ONE thing that would get me into the ZONE with kob and  spoon....

Everywhere  I went and fished I was being told LOW n SLOW ...sand banks....ginger  beer water …..early morning ...high tide....low tide.... blah blah ......Well, I soon slowed myself down and attached myself to a  very good lure fisherman , whom I sort of knew and he then took me to  a few spots along our Jikeleza. I immediately noticed that he fished  with an 11f rod with a very fast tip an Abu levelwinder and also 12kg  line..So...reel and line I was fine ...BUT...I soon realised that the  110H was a tad “heavy” and I also noticed that LS(what I shall  call him) threw fairly lightish spoons...AND mainly amongst the  bricks...And so begun my journey......

I  went about securing myself another rod which had a faster tip and  still the backbone. Enter the 12f BM TruFlex. Well.....first outing I  had to contend with 1oz to 2oz spoons and this takes some thumb  control as any overwinds amongst the bricks means reeling over the  bunch up and then going back to peel the bunch up out...while your  partner , LS , continues to cast and as you look up he is into a  decent fish!!!!...OR ...let the spoon sink and run the overwind out  and HOPE your spoon pulls free.....

Many  sessions/outings later and I finally get my first 3k kobbie in the  bricks with a 1oz spoon, it was about this time I started keeping a  diary of every outing/session whether I caught OR not...Noting  conditions ..water...barometer...wind...temp....tide ...colour etc  etc.....

After  my 5th  or so kobbie amongst the bricks I started feeling “awkward” with  the 12footer TruFlex , especially as the kob would get close into the  bricks to land and bully them in and around the bricks. It was at  this time I started looking for a 10 to 11 footer KF Stimulator  series rod........

Well  Folks this is all for this week and next week I will get to the  ALMOST perfect setup to hunt these magnificent fish with only  METAL!!!

Keep  it clean and ...JUST GO FISH!!!!
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
Re: The Lazy Thumb.......and other fishing sories
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 08:42:53 PM »
 :tkx: waiting for the next instalment. :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 08:45:05 PM »
:tkx: waiting for the next instalment. :toppie:
:hnthnt: ....on its way..BUT,,..first some  :fshn: this weekend.... :hehe:
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 366
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 12:15:12 PM »
Nice Kent!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 01:58:12 PM »
So  now we need to know HOW the 110H , TruFlex and Stimulator crossed  paths , or how come these three rods are connected. Once this is  revealed we can truly start on this path of enlightenment and JUST GO  FISH!!!

I  had now had been throwing with the SL30 and 110H for about 4 or so  years and it was at this time I found myself doing a stint at one of  our local tackle shops. I settled into the days routine and soon  gravitated to the duties of sorting out the rod room and the ordering  of and the returning of faulty rods/blanks to manufacters.

I  noticed that in the storeroom that there were about 15 or so King  Fisher Stimulator series rods that were not on the racks OR displayed  for sale. I enquired and was told they were not popular and no one  took interest in them. I started looking through them and found a  13,6....12,6 and a 10,5 all three pieces and all could cast up to 4oz  and all had beautifull tips and a lovely light balanced feel in ones  hands. I fancied the the 10,5 and soon found out that they also came  in a 11f, which would be the HOLY GRAIL of spinning rods , in my  opinion.

These  rods averaged out at a grand a piece and at the time was a bit rich  for me and proceeded to pack them out and mark them with pricing  accordingly. Within in 2 weeks I sold all 15 odd and eventually  customers came in asking for Stimulators. When the new stock arrived  their pricing had jumped to almost a grand 500!!!...BUT..they still  sold!!...AND then ..BOOM!!...KF stopped making them.
NOW...when  it comes to rods , everyone has an opinion.....blank this...mandril  this....layers that and T this P that etc etc.....I honestly believe  that when you pick up a rod and how it feels in your hands , how the  tip flex “talks” to you and what you imagine hooking with it  ,,,THEN,,,you need to decide IF your wallet can meet its price  tag!!!...Of course , you will get the fisherman that wants that  “custom” rod ...well...thats a whole different story and Im still  not sure what “custom” actually means.

Why  am I waffeling on so about a rod??..Well, a good , solid , light ,  strong well balanced rod that does NOT break the bank BUT will get  that record fish to the side as quick as possible for a green release  , THAT Folks is pretty NB to get the right rod for this application .  Hence my long story.

One  chap that worked with me there , had a 11f KF Stimulator . This was  given to Blue Marlin to try and match the blank as close as possible.  Enter the Tru Flex range. The first Tru Flex,s had gold and red  binding identical to the Stimulators and when they hit the shelves  felt pretty damn smart!!!

I  was then given a 12f to test and needless to say the rod was almost  as close as dammit to the Stims...BUT...BM had no 11f blank , but had  10 and 13. So , Folks that is how the TruFlex range came to be, then  ,they are now with red binding and the range has grown somewhat and  to me the blanks are not the same as the original TruFlex,s and Im  still the proud owner of one of the originals!!!

My  point with this long story???...You intend to give this type of kob  hunting a go ….well ..do NOT pass up the TruFlex range , they are  damn fine  and value for money solid rods!!!..And NO , Im not a Blue  Marlin agent...

I  finished my stint at the shop and was now on a mission to find a GOOD  second hand Stimulator. It was to be another year and a bit when I  bumped into a chap and we got talking and he says he has a rod that  he has never used , would I be interested OR try and get it sold for  him. Sure , I said and when he walked in the next day , in his hands  he had a KF Stimulator 1053 H!!!!!!...

BRAND  NEW , still with the Fuji tag and KF tags on. I was too scared to ask  how much. He pipes up and says I can have it for R400.00!!! By 16h00  that same day I had paid the man and was now as close as dammit to  the HOLY GRAIL of rods for this type of application. Although , I  must admit , two years prior I had a chance to cast a few casts with  a 11f WAFT Iron feather and to me THAT was THE rod...BUT...at  R2500,00 it was not to be.

To  date the punchy 1053 Stim has landed quite a few kob and the largest  being over 11kg in very shallow water FULL of bricks. The 1053 Stim  is a GREAT “little” rod that has TONS of backbone with such a  sweet sensitive tip which can feel the lightests of taps by a wary  kob . BUT...............

Its  still not the HOLY GRAIL...So..the search continues....in the mean  time Im still VERY fond of my 1053H Stimulator and should you be  lucky to get your hands on one...BUY IT!!!

We  , now have the rod sorted and as to the reel , it needs to be simple  , tough , have at least a 6 to 1 ratio and not mind having a dip  every now and then. As Ive said , my choice is a Daiwa SL30...BUT  most 30 or 20 size reel with a 6 to 1 ratio will do the job....BUT  the reel needs to be light and durable.  

My  SL has been slightly moded and sports leather drag washers as opposed  to graphite or felt washers or cabontex. I find the leathers are  smooth and handle getting wet very well.................

Well  Folks this is all for this week and next time we will visit the nitty  gritty of getting that nylon nice and “smooth” onto your reel of  choice as to  reduce and eliminate those pesky birds nest , over  winds , bunch ups OR whatever you would call them when that thumb  gets a tad LAZY!!!...

Keep  it clean and ….

JUST  GO FISH!!!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:06:15 PM by Kent »
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 05:34:06 PM »
 :tkx: :happ: boet, keep them coming  :resp: :win:   :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 08:29:16 AM »
:tkx: :happ: boet, keep them coming  :resp: :win:   :toppie:
:FST: ...Pleasure......
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Moolla

• Cred: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 01:18:50 PM »
GREAT STUFF KENT!!! :win:

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 08:02:27 PM »
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 09:16:20 PM »
 :sreel: ...Nylon  is a funny word. How it came about , the word and the actual stuff  called NYLON. Well , NY stands for New York and LON stands for  London. It is said that a scientist from New York and from London co  invented the stuff/material and coined the name NY-LON from where  they came from. 

Nylon  is used today in ALL walks of life from material in clothing and more  so in womans stockings etc etc and in big industry even in the reels  we use , although in present times lighter and even more durable  materials are replacing nylon. Then of course , there is the nylon ,  line , we use for our favourite past time , fishing!!! Although ,  today its called by many fancy names such as , monofilament or mono  for short , co polymer AND even extruded fishing line/nylon is used .  You then also get GUT which is a form of nylon , although the term  gut could be from the OLD use of animal sinew. Tennis rackets back in  the day used GUT.

What  we need to know and understand about nylon is that its extremely  strong for its diameter and pretty durable to the elements of the sea  , sun and wind. BUT , it does not like heat and does not stand up to  well if more than 15% of its diameter is compromised. When I started  out on this journey , I set out to do this with nylon and as a  youngster grew up throwing a multiplier loaded with 20kg Maxima dark  green!!!...While this was extremely strong and durable , it was like  using rope to fish and cast with!!!....This coupled with a 49A and a  13f ole one piece Blue Marlin that weighed a ton!! Standing on the  Gonubie  point throwing 5oz spoons for shad for three hours on end  was tiring to say the least.

Well  once I could throw for about three hours with that 49A and no bunch  ups I was later upgraded to the infamous Jigmaster and was given a  great 12 foot two piece BM. I fished with this outfit for many many  years and about 12 or so years ago I treated myself and bought my  first SL30 and the 110H.

When  I first embarked on this kob/spoon journey I was given advice on what  line to use from King Fisher Giant abrasion , Triple X , Double X ,  Maxima , Suffix etc etc. I went through rolls and rolls of nylon and  still did not get to that SMOOTH ZONE with regard to nylon. One day I  suggested to myself to go find a roll of line that would run me  around R60 for 600m of .45 at about 13kg. I then happened onto a line  called Okuma Max Tough No.7...It was .43 and 12,3kg. This line I used  until the beginning of 2014 when Okuma was not brought into the  country anymore. I found this line to be super low on memory , super  castable and super abrasive resitant and ontop of that it did not  “dry” out quickly in the sun.

NOW...the  point of this LONG convoluted story is JUST THIS.....One does NOT  have to buy the R400 roll of line to get the best out of your fishing  AND to feel very secure about the line you are using. For me , LOW  memory is of utmost importance ...WHY??...well...imagine youve been  casting for about 45 minutes and you suddenly get a rattle and you  are now wide awake coz the kobbies are present!!!...Your very next  throw , coz you are now excited and your adrenal gland is pumping ,  you throw a bunch!!!...DAMN!!...You now reel in and need to peel out  that bunch as soon and as fast n smooth as possible.

THIS  , is where memory is VERY NB!!!...IF..you know your line has very low  memory , do NOT peel it off into a pool of water rather peel off onto  a dryish rock and not on SAND!!...IF you know your nylon has a fair  amount of memory , then peel it off into a pool of water. Nylon with  memory builds static...sea water release that...nylon with low memory  has little static and sea water will add static. This might seem like  a silly thing to remember...BUT...its the difference of you getting  that price fish and the difference of snapping off on your next  cast!!!!

Sooo,  understanding nylon and how it reacts under certain conditions will  greatly make your fishing session a pleasure and not frustrating. I  always keep a little spray/squirt type bottle in my bag filled with a  drop of sunlight liquid and fresh water. After about every 10 or so  throws I give two or so squirts and continue my casting session. This  reduces friction and also gives you nice smooth , bunch free casts.  Salt water continuously deposit salt crystals onto your line and this  in turn “cuts” into your line. Some freshwater squirts  go a long  way to eliminate line degradation . This then brings us to how to  load your nylon of choice on your multiplier of choice. Remember ,  you reel needs to be light , durable , easy to service , at least 6  to 1 ratio and not cost an arm and a leg. Whether , you choose a  level winder or not is purely personal choice. For myself I dont like  a level winder BUT my partner, LS , uses an Abu level C3500 level  winder.
Once  you have you nylon of choice and I would suggest dont go lighter than  10kg and no heavier than 13kg.

NOW...get  your roll of nylon set up so as you can reel on with a certain amount  of tension . Then arm yourself with a piece of cotton , feldt or  flannel cloth...NOT NYLON cloth. Some Johnsons PURE baby oil and you  are set to load your “new” reel!!!
Dab  some oil onto your cloth and let the nylon run through this as you  wind onto your reel...On a 20 or 30 size reel you would probably get  about 200 or so meters on and all the time run it through the oil wet  cloth.

Once  done , lightly rinse your reel off in luke warm water and your are  now set for your first session on your quest to hunt kob with  spoon!!!

Well  Folks , this is all for this week and next time on this journey we  will get into that 2 meters of line just before it gets attached to  your spoon. Those two meters are THE MOST important part of the 200  odd meters of line on your freshly loaded reel!!!

Keep  it clean  
and

JUST  GO FISH!!!

Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Drew

• Cred: 2
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 07:25:23 AM »
Awesome stuff, looking forward to the next installment. :+ cred:

Offline keane

• Cred: 11
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 07:36:32 AM »
Really nice read Kent.

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 07:49:58 AM »
Awesome stuff, looking forward to the next installment. :+ cred:
:tite :uarocks
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 07:50:35 AM »
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 366
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 07:54:30 AM »
Great stuff Kent  :+ cred: :+ cred:

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 07:56:46 AM »
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 08:05:36 AM »
Very good Kent  :+ cred: but I have to ask: why the HUGE font?? :-)
Just Fish!!!

Offline Bigben

• Cred: 3
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 09:04:51 AM »
Kent gooi hom nou..GO BEEG or go HOME

Nice read buddy...

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 09:38:53 AM »
Very good Kent  :+ cred: but I have to ask: why the HUGE font?? :-)
:tkx: ..LOL..ja sorry...BUT..its from my diaries and they are written in word and then I copy and paste...
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 09:39:21 AM »
Kent gooi hom nou..GO BEEG or go HOME

Nice read buddy...
:win: :uarocks
Just GO FISH!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal