Author Topic: How to hold the pesky sea barble...  (Read 7596 times)

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 366
  • Conservation First!
Re: How to hold the pesky sea barble...
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 01:57:10 PM »
Donz most river mouths have sea barbel , 2/0 hook and sard is the best bet, otherwise areas where you find kob and sandsharks they are thick when the kob are missing.

Im not gonna lie I sometimes target them on light tackle, we get big ones in the ec 1kg plus and they are quite fun to catch, for me anyway lol.

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 79
  • dis lekker by die see...
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 02:00:29 PM »
Interesting, lofty you say its "pesky" do you not like to eat it? or are there too many small buggers around that strip your bait??  How would you go about targeting sea barble? I definitely want to catch one for the pot :pot:
I haven't actually eaten one plus they're pesky because I catch them while targetting anything else but them... swr they will take any fleshy baits meant for Kob or Elf(shad),chocka,they're just like the FW barble,they clean up the ocean and will eat anything I think.I once tried fillitting one as I was told Kob swim amongst them and they don't eat their own kind.So I fillitted one for a Kob and ended up catching another Barble... <: they bit like  :craz: that night...needless to say we packed up...13 Barble in 1 hour between 2 guys is too much... :blush: w;k
Always be humble...

Offline Charles

• The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 77
  • Never ever give up!
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 03:16:16 PM »
Those barbels are a pain! I get very annoyed with them when they destroy my chokka bait! As for them being tasty well I wouldn't eat them simply because the sea gulls don't eat them either.

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 79
  • dis lekker by die see...
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 03:31:48 PM »
Those barbels are a pain! I get very annoyed with them when they destroy my chokka bait! As for them being tasty well I wouldn't eat them simply because the sea gulls don't eat them either.

maby the seagulls are also scared of being spiked... duh I've seen gulls eat them I think,but not so sure now... :nuts:
Always be humble...

Offline Ziggy

• Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 182
  • Teeth that bite!
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 03:43:15 PM »
Have been stung before by  a "klip barber and also a makriel" in the Limpopo....... There is no ways I take that risk again. I hold it with pliers and remove the hook with a second set of pliers. Using barb-less hooks makes for easy removal.

correct - thats what I do - once stung - always bang!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal