Author Topic: How to hold the pesky sea barble...  (Read 7595 times)

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 79
  • dis lekker by die see...
How to hold the pesky sea barble...
« on: December 08, 2014, 07:39:18 PM »
Hi guys,it occured to me that not everyone knows how to grab hold of the pesky sea catfish(barble)with its 3 spikes that can put an end to your fishing trip if spiked badly enough.Apparently it's very painfull... :dunno: So I thought I'd share my way of holding these buggers,which I learned quite early on from a fishing buddy.I'm righthanded,so I take my hand and slide(not place,as you could get spiked if the fish started thrashing about)it up the fishs' head and hook it's pectoral spikes with my ringfinger and thumb,with my little finger on the opposite side of the spike.The dorsal spike then goes between my index and middle finger.You can now grab hold of the fish and remove the hook.I find the easiest is to turn the barble upside down,as your hand and wrist is usually in the way when removing the hook.I don't have any pics of me holding a Barble in this way(perhaps WKiller has/does... :crzy just kidding)
Hope this helps to prevent someone from being spiked by these fish again...

here is a photo of a Barble to just visualise where your fingers need to be...I can't photoshop,so this will have to do... :blush:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 07:47:55 PM by Lofty »
Always be humble...

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate member
Re: How to hold the pesky sea barble...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 08:21:38 PM »
The topic that made me decide to post this is this http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=7658.0 where guys were discussing "remedies" to lessen the pain from being spiked by these fish.I then did a quick search on  :ult: but couldn't find anything relating to the way a Barble can be held.This is just to try and inform the uninformed on ways to reduce the chances of being spiked... w;k
Always be humble...

Offline Ziggy

• Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 182
  • Teeth that bite!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »
I use my pliers and hold one of the side spikes - then take hook out - learnt the hard way with squeakers on the Zambezi when I once got stabbed - very, very painful!

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 08:32:52 PM »
I use my pliers and hold one of the side spikes - then take hook out - learnt the hard way with squeakers on the Zambezi when I once got stabbed - very, very painful!
Have you tried my method Ziggy,or if not,would you try it...? :dunno: :-) :creep:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:33:27 PM by Lofty »
Always be humble...

Offline Ziggy

• Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 182
  • Teeth that bite!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 09:23:23 PM »
Have you tried my method Ziggy,or if not,would you try it...? :dunno: :-) :creep:

no ways - too poepbang I will get poked again!

Actually, your method makes sense and I am willing to try it

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 10:07:49 PM »
As long as you remember to slide and not place your hand...once the fish has settled a bit that is... :hehe: really works though... w;k
Always be humble...

Offline TimJan

• Cred: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 07:33:47 AM »
Ok I grab them from the head as I have found especially the smaller ones when they start thrashing about and you slide your hand up the body they can still nail you. Plus when they thrash about the head stay's still.
Pic attached

Offline Mal Hannes

• Cred: 6
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 08:21:26 AM »
Last year December one of these little ones got me good.

It was damn sore. I AM NOT TRYING TO HOLD THEM ANYMORE!

I got cocky and paid for it. :craz: :nuts:
Either I am fishing or dreaming of fishing!

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 366
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 10:36:09 AM »
LOL Lofty that is my image anyway hahaha, I have got like 50 pics of them I can post here  :crzy

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »
LOL Lofty that is my image anyway hahaha, I have got like 50 pics of them I can post here  :crzy
yes,hope you don't mind,I took it off the net as I had no pics of barble... :hehe: @ TimJan,the method that I use keeps the Barble on the ground by putting pressure on the head while sliding your hand up,so once you have a firm hold on it it can thrash around without spiking you.I usually also have a hold of my hooksnoot with my left hand for added control...Touch wood,I've never been spiked...I notice your thumb is underneath the fishs' mouth,doesn't it get in the way when removing the hook?I use my method for small and big Barble... :dunno: I always take off the Barble that my boys catch too,not taking that chance... :cry: :hehe:
Always be humble...

Offline WalkersKiller

• Ultimate Champ
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 11:12:26 AM »
 :hehe: no worries!

Offline Charles

• The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 77
  • Never ever give up!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 12:17:52 PM »
Have been stung before by  a "klip barber and also a makriel" in the Limpopo....... There is no ways I take that risk again. I hold it with pliers and remove the hook with a second set of pliers. Using barb-less hooks makes for easy removal.

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 12:41:38 PM »
Have been stung before by  a "klip barber and also a makriel" in the Limpopo....... There is no ways I take that risk again. I hold it with pliers and remove the hook with a second set of pliers. Using barb-less hooks makes for easy removal.
Hi Charles,what is a "klip barber"and how does a "Makriel" sting you.. :dunno: ?If you do this properly there's no way,or much less chance of getting spiked,it's better than some of the alternatives I've seen and read about(clipping the spike of with sidecutters,grabbing the fish by the mouth with pliers,and as a sting remedy,to "stick a knife in it's eye and mashing everything up to get to the black goo to put on the puncture wound..")I've found many of these Barble lying around on the beach after a nights' fishing,I suspect from guys that are too scared of holding the fish to remove the hook.Considering the "alternatives",I'd rather take my chances and grab the fish in the way I explained,or if not brave enough to try that,to simply cut your hook trace and letting the fish survive at least...p.s.If they really abundant and you can't get your nicely prepared kob bait to stay untouched by these pests,then I'd rather fillet one and use the fillet for the Kob,Kob are never that far away from these buggers apparently...I actually tried it once and caught another Barble on the Barble fillet,then we packed up.. <: they were biting as if it was the shad run... :shk
Always be humble...

Offline WalkersKiller

• Ultimate Champ
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 12:47:20 PM »
Klip Barber and Makriel 2 different species  :-) the Makriel (Silver Catfish, Butter Barbel) also has poisonous spines.

Offline Donz

• Cred: 1
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 01:17:39 PM »
are these fish edible? never seen or caught one before.

Offline WalkersKiller

• Ultimate Champ
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 01:21:22 PM »
Both the Sea Catfish and Makriel are edible and are very nice (Apparently)  :hehe:

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate member
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 01:28:08 PM »
Klip Barber and Makriel 2 different species  :-) the Makriel (Silver Catfish, Butter Barbel) also has poisonous spines.
Hi WK,I was thinking of the ocean going "Makriel"in the Cape we get what the locals called Horse mackerel(which looks similar to Maasbanker).I know they have tiny spines on their sides close to the tail,but that's it,hence my question as to how the "Makriel"can spike/sting someone... :dunno:

Makriel(Cape) & Horse Mackerel(Maasbanker)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:33:47 PM by Lofty »
Always be humble...

Offline Charles

• The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 77
  • Never ever give up!
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »
Sorry Lofty I should have said fresh water Makriel......... The one which WK posted. They have a very nasty sting but so much fun hunting them on spinners and artificial lures.

The klip barber is also a fresh water species, belongs to the catfish family and makes a squeaky sound when caught. We also called them "skreeu barbers".

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:36:28 PM by Charles »

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate member
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 01:42:38 PM »
Sorry Lofty I should have said fresh water Makriel......... The one which WK posted. They have a very nasty sting but so much fun hunting them on spinners and artificial lures.

The klip barber is also a fresh water species, belongs to the catfish family and makes a squeaky sound when caught. We also called them "skreeu barbers".

:hehe: no problem Charles,I gathered that when I saw WKs' picture,that I've never seen or caught... :cnfzd Yes,the sea catfish(Barble)is quite tasty,but you have to remove the slimy skin with pliers before frying it... duh the people in Namibia smoke them as well,apparently very good... :dunno:
Always be humble...

Offline Donz

• Cred: 1
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 01:50:47 PM »
Interesting, lofty you say its "pesky" do you not like to eat it? or are there too many small buggers around that strip your bait??  How would you go about targeting sea barble? I definitely want to catch one for the pot :pot:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal