Author Topic: Bucktails how to use them?  (Read 6041 times)

Offline iggy

• Cred: 0
Bucktails how to use them?
« on: August 09, 2014, 09:14:50 PM »
Hi all, how would you go about catching Wave Garric with bucktails? What action do you use, do you reel fast, let it sink twitch it on the bottom etc, I don't have much knowledge and need all info I can get for my trip to Banana beach kzn south coast! Will also use plugs and spoons.

Offline Krystyna

• Cred: 1
Re: Bucktails how to use them?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 08:06:57 AM »
Not sure if you've seen it , but it may be  useful is if have you had a look at Salt Water Lure Angling and specifically Targeting Garrick on the forum. A fast jerky retrieve may entice a response from Garrick with bucktails - Garrick are extremely fast swimmers and they may strike at basically anything that  moves - for when do you have  your trip planned , as the best time to target them in the area is during winter
The ocean never stops to surprise us with wonderful and magical  things - Please think before leaving a mess behind

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 766
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 02:12:48 PM »
I think Iggy is referring to the Wave Garrick, found in the KZN waters, not the Garrick/Leervis.
Wave Garrick frequent the shore dump on most KZN beaches, wherever there is turbulent white water. Although I've never personally caught them on Bucktails, reckon your best bet would be to cast just over the breakers and let the bucktail drift around, giving an occasional twitch. I have had success with this using 3" Minnows or Mcarthy Goldfish, but still nothing beats the simple no-swivel scratching trace with 2 different baits - chokka and sard.
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=16620.0
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=200.0

Offline chrisquinton

• Cred: 13
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 11:22:52 AM »
look for a beach where the foamies are rolling over a bank to the shore. wave garrick cruise in very shallow white tirbulent water. they will swim on thier sides in extremely shallow shorebreaks.
bucktails are perfect, and the retrieve may vary form a failry fast pause-pull retrieve to a slow twitch and stop retrieve. expect a pull virtually right up to the waters edge...
i prefer white/chartreuse colours. 7ft stick with 8-10lb braid is perfect. you need nothing heavier.
as reefz suggests, agree to no swivels etc at terminal end.

Offline iggy

• Cred: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:38:47 PM »
look for a beach where the foamies are rolling over a bank to the shore. wave garrick cruise in very shallow white tirbulent water. they will swim on thier sides in extremely shallow shorebreaks.
bucktails are perfect, and the retrieve may vary form a failry fast pause-pull retrieve to a slow twitch and stop retrieve. expect a pull virtually right up to the waters edge...
i prefer white/chartreuse colours. 7ft stick with 8-10lb braid is perfect. you need nothing heavier.
as reefz suggests, agree to no swivels etc at terminal end.
@Reef Yes I will fish banana beach south coast early Dec. Will use spoons, lures and buctails.
I have a 11ft Finor 3-5oz AND AERLEX Shimano 8000 with 35lb braid, I know its a bit overkill but you never know what takes the bait! Will def go the no swivel way like you suggesting. Also have 8FT Shimano rod with Daiwa millionaire 300 S with kingfisher 20lbs mono.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:39:44 PM by iggy »

Offline Krystyna

• Cred: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 06:27:54 AM »
Now I am learning such a lot - I must say  these are beautiful looking fish and they probably put up a good fight with  lighter spinning tackle - if they fight like our Garrick in Aghulhas - these leervis just grabs ones live bait and  takes off with a great speed and one loses them easily if you are'nt expecting a bite - it's just like grrrrrrrrrrr snap and its all over with those - do these Wave Garrick get much bigger than on the pictures above and how far south along our coast can one expect  to find   them - they look a little sleeker in design than normal Garrick    :fshn:   
The ocean never stops to surprise us with wonderful and magical  things - Please think before leaving a mess behind

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 766
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 08:00:06 AM »
Now I am learning such a lot - I must say  these are beautiful looking fish and they probably put up a good fight with  lighter spinning tackle - if they fight like our Garrick in Aghulhas - these leervis just grabs ones live bait and  takes off with a great speed and one loses them easily if you are'nt expecting a bite - it's just like grrrrrrrrrrr snap and its all over with those - do these Wave Garrick get much bigger than on the pictures above and how far south along our coast can one expect  to find   them - they look a little sleeker in design than normal Garrick    :fshn:

The Wave Garrick don't get much bigger than 2kg. They are feisty fighters - great fun on ultralight tackle. Also known as 3 spot Pompano or Astronaut.

Offline chrisquinton

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 09:35:07 AM »
wave garrick and garrick - completely different.
wave garrick is a largespot pompano - part of the kingfish family.
record is about 2.5kg.

These fish operate very differently to garrick. for the wave garrick, you must target the shallow white water zone. never underestimate the depth of water these fish can hunt in. they will swim into ankle deep backwash. look for water where long rolling foamies occur over a shallow sandbank. there must be foam/white water.

Offline John F

• Cred: 522
  • Virtus et Honos
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 11:18:58 AM »
wave garrick and garrick - completely different.
wave garrick is a largespot pompano - part of the kingfish family.

Both species are part of the kingfish family - Carangidae  :-)
Acecraft 660 DV (Work in progress)
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline chrisquinton

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »

Both species are part of the kingfish family - Carangidae  :-)

correk. what I mean is they are completely different genera (Lichia vs Trachinotus). and have completely different habits, thus targetting them both with one approach is not likely to succeed....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal